Cadets 2017

I am doing some research on DCI members and have a ? about The Cadets.

It is my understanding that the corps was christened as the Holy Name Cadets in 1934 and retained that name until their last contest in 1958, the American Legion national championship in Chicago, at which they took the field under the name Garfield Cadets.

In 1988, they took the name Cadets of Bergen County and then, either in 1996 or 1998, became The Cadets.

Was it 1996 or 1998?

And any corrections to the other name timelines?

Refer to www.theholynamecadets.net

"... the outcome is not life and death and the rehearsals are a combination of intensity and fun."

Maybe "C1" could be a little more like this and still be very successful?

I'm rolling around the idea of Hop being director of C2 and running YEA!, and someone else taking the reigns of C1.

"... the outcome is not life and death and the rehearsals are a combination of intensity and fun."

Maybe "C1" could be a little more like this and still be very successful?

My question is why in the world is the outcome life and death? That's the first time I've heard the "stakes" being described in that way for any corps.

There is no such rule.

I stand corrected...you would know better than me...I just seemed to recall they were not happy with them doubling their size the last 3 weeks of the season...perhaps it was just an unwritten request...

Edited by Liahona

My question is why in the world is the outcome life and death? That's the first time I've heard the "stakes" being described in that way for any corps.

I'm also struck by the phrase considering the continuous teaching (preaching?) that MM's should forget the placements and scores.

Seems incongruous.

(Listened to Angels and Demons again while at the gym at 5am this morning. OMG! What a show!)

I've heard him say many unusual things over his years at Cadets, but this to me seems one of the strangest. I'm still trying to discern the hermaneutic, the meaning and implications.

I'm sure many who have marched either would have different takes, not necessarily opposing takes. Both corps seem to have their fun.

In a mailing about C2's championship win in Rochester,

"Serving as the Director of The Cadets and Cadets2, Hopkins added, "In many ways, this experience is more enjoyable than the Cadets...

This post (and those tagging on) is the peak of pique. In its complete disregard for the qualifier, it qualifies for moronic.

Let's try this again:

Serving as the Director of The Cadets and Cadets2, Hopkins added, "In many ways, this experience is more enjoyable than the Cadets...

In many ways ... Not in every way ... Not in the most important ways ... In many ways ...

Huge difference to anyone inclined to fairness. But as someone else pointed out above, this site has always been unfair to George, which is wrong.

HH

• Like 1

Everytime I return to this site, hoping to have intelligent discussions about drum corps, I am confronted with trash like this. I can't believe that we are fans of the same activity.

HH

confer post 1037.

As the thread is about the Cadets in 2017, the mindset of the director is most apropos for consideration, particularly by new auditionees, their parents and sponsors of which I am one..

Because your first reaction is one way, doesn't mean its the accurate reaction or the only reaction.

This post (and those tagging on) is the peak of pique. In its complete disregard for the qualifier, it qualifies for moronic.

Let's try this again:

Serving as the Director of The Cadets and Cadets2, Hopkins added, "In many ways, this experience is more enjoyable than the Cadets...

In many ways ... Not in every way ... Not in the most important ways ... In many ways ...

Huge difference to anyone inclined to fairness. But as someone else pointed out above, this site has always been unfair to George, which is wrong.

HH

Calm down. No one suggested he was saying otherwise, just that the phrasing might have been on his mind for a reason. Many here, Cadets fans included, have expressed the belief that it may have been a rough year.

X included the language that followed in his post, allowing everyone the opportunity to see it in full context, and highlighted the part he found interesting. You seem to have omitted that language from the quote you used, which I wouldn't think anyone inclined to fairness would do, but I suppose it makes it an easier case for you to accuse others of being moronic.

Your post 1036 doesn't begin to explain or mitigate the deliberate, disingenuous deconstruction in post 1035. You can delude yourself. You can't delude me.

Here we go again:

"In many ways" need not even be "most" of the ways. The shame.

I can't believe we are fans of the same activity.

HH