Cadets 2017

Everytime I return to this site, hoping to have intelligent discussions about drum corps, I am confronted with trash like this. I can't believe that we are fans of the same activity.

HH

You may need to chill just a little bit...but perhaps you're more of an epicureanist who believes in thermodynamic entropy rather than stoicist who remains unmoved by impulse...

Calm down. No one suggested he was saying otherwise, just that the phrasing might have been on his mind for a reason. Many here, Cadets fans included, have expressed the belief that it may have been a rough year...

Ah yes. The fairness appeal. Something never apparent when it comes to how DCP treats Hopkins.

This wasn't one post in isolation. It's the same rotten mindset that has infected this site for too long.

HH

You may need to chill just a little bit...but perhaps you're more of an epicureanist who believes in thermodynamic entropy rather than stoicist who remains unmoved by impulse...

My agitation is the problem? Anyone care to dispute me on the issue of DCP's fairness to Hopkins? Probably not.

HH

• Like 1

My agitation is the problem? Anyone care to dispute me on the issue of DCP's fairness to Hopkins? Probably not.

HH

DCP is a huge, very active collection of people from all over the world, with all sorts of variant connections to DCI. Some people are unfair to Blue Devils, some are unfair to Crown, some are unfair to George Hopkins. Most (and I would argue 98% of us) simply enjoy the activity, and therefore enjoy talking about it.

If George doesn't want to get talked about, he should simply stop putting himself out there as a target. I'm not being hyperbolic, it is just plainly common sense.

It's sort of like Trump complaining about people complaining about what he said. Stop saying it, and no one will talk about it. But if you keep making bold public statements, guess what, you should expect people to respond to them. Not rocket science.

I've never personally met any single person on this site. One person's personal bias for or against someone else is their business. There is certainly no collusion or conspiracy against George other than the one he occasionally invites due to his unique personality, which is as obvious as it is inarguable.

The rest I will leave for Garfield...

:-)

HH

Absolutely I will. "Fairness"? As compared to what, BD hate virtually every year they win? DCI hate for killing The Fan Network? Crown's drums in both '13 AND '14?

Come on H, why so sensitive when he himself cares less about it than you seem to?

You claim the scrutiny is not warranted? Or only the negative scrutiny?

It's just band; he himself made it "...life or death".

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

...I've never personally met any single person on this site. One person's personal bias for or against someone else is their business. There is certainly no collusion or conspiracy against George other than the one he occasionally invites due to his unique personality, which is as obvious as it is inarguable....

No collusion or conspiracy. Doesn't have to be. Yet the cadence is clear. The snarky snareline beats it out regularly with X at the center. And it goes mostly unchallenged because people like me don't come here much anymore.

I used to average a post a day here. Now I bet I haven't made a dozen posts in the past couple of years. And it's because of trash like this. And you said it. You treat Hopkins like he's running for president, which he isn't. He's isn't asking to lead you. He's only asking to lead kids in two corps to a great summer and a great life beyond,

Yet you give it to him everyday. Yes Garfield, it's all scrutinized as if it makes a difference to us. He (Hopkins) isn't making treaties with a foreign power. Yes Garfield, he's only talking about marching band.

Some of you are smarter than this. Some of you aren't. The fact that Hopkins is verbose and transparent need not be license to find fault. Or even if it is, is it really too much to ask to focus on the words that actually matter? Case in point. He's celebrating C2's victory, and what are we talking about? A phrase out of context. Really?

HH

• Like 2

No collusion or conspiracy. Doesn't have to be. Yet the cadence is clear. The snarky snareline beats it out regularly with X at the center. And it goes mostly unchallenged because people like me don't come here much anymore.

I used to average a post a day here. Now I bet I haven't made a dozen posts in the past couple of years. And it's because of trash like this. And you said it. You treat Hopkins like he's running for president, which he isn't. He's isn't asking to lead you. He's only asking to lead kids in two corps to a great summer and a great life beyond,

Yet you give it to him everyday. Yes Garfield, it's all scrutinized as if it makes a difference to us. He (Hopkins) isn't making treaties with a foreign power. Yes Garfield, he's only talking about marching band.

Some of you are smarter than this. Some of you aren't. The fact that Hopkins is verbose and transparent need not be license to find fault. Or even if it is, is it really too much to ask to focus on the words that actually matter? Case in point. He's celebrating C2's victory, and what are we talking about? A phrase out of context. Really?

HH

It seems as if every word he says or posts is microanalyzed at a ridiculous level. I shudder at being under that kind of scrutiny.

I've heard him say many unusual things over his years at Cadets, but this to me seems one of the strangest. I'm still trying to discern the hermaneutic, the meaning and implications.

I'm sure many who have marched either would have different takes, not necessarily opposing takes. Both corps seem to have their fun.

In a mailing about C2's championship win in Rochester,

"Serving as the Director of The Cadets and Cadets2, Hopkins added, "In many ways, this experience is more enjoyable than the Cadets. Being weekend only, the corps can breathe, the outcome is not life and death and the rehearsals are a combination of intensity and fun. These kids love C2 and that love allowed them to take a good show and make it great. Many of these kids have never been this good anywhere and that joy in their eyes when the crowd erupted the past few nights was a gift to see. It was nothing short of amazing!"

Hopkins concluded, "Congrats C2 - all of you, from the bus driver to the donors and everyone in between. It's really more than words can describe!"

Well, it was a wonderful experience. I can't remember a happier day for me in drum corps outside of my marching years. Both groups that I make donations won. Edited by Terri Schehr

Absolutely I will. "Fairness"? As compared to what, BD hate virtually every year they win? DCI hate for killing The Fan Network? Crown's drums in both '13 AND '14?

Come on H, why so sensitive when he himself cares less about it than you seem to?

You claim the scrutiny is not warranted? Or only the negative scrutiny?

It's just band; he himself made it "...life or death".

Critical posts about drum corps "events" are one thing, be they the ones you noted or ones Hoppy makes...as they regard drum corps. Personal scrutiny and negative commentary about the man in general are the items that are not permitted according to the guidelines. I am the one who initially said I thought people get more leeway in commenting on Hoppy personally than might be expected to be allowed over the years. More a general statement than pointing at any single offender.

• Like 1

Critical posts about drum corps "events" are one thing, be they the ones you noted or ones Hoppy makes...as they regard drum corps. Personal scrutiny and negative commentary about the man in general are the items that are not permitted according to the guidelines. I am the one who initially said I thought people get more leeway in commenting on Hoppy personally than might be expected to be allowed over the years. More a general statement than pointing at any single offender.

12501646_1688861734701453_1537143313_n.j