The Official DCI Southeastern Championship Thread - July 29, 2017

6 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

The caption is "visual" not "marching."

So then the content score should be lower and the achievement score should be higher?? Like the corps is outperforming their design?

honest question. 

There is no way that a corps that stands for 8 minutes should have higher content scores then corps that do 100 drill charts in that same time frame. I don't care who the corps are. 

It doesn't matter which corps you are a fan of if there is no way anyone can honestly say that BD has a more visually challenging show then SCV or any of the corps in the Top 6 for that matter. I think that's where the frustration lies for many fans. 

And let's not get started on the GE topic lol...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

What do Carolina Crown and the Blue Stars have in common? They are both a couple of extremely talented corps that were given very boring shows. 

I watched all the shows from Atlanta CV to Crown.  There were NO boring shows.  I liked some shows more than others, but each show gave me something to enjoy.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Everyone who has listened through Flo marching has seemed to think that and yet their brass scores have only been climbing. Every person who has seen them live has indicated they sounded much better than they expected to. Lesson learned? Don't trust video 

But when you're comparing all these corps on video from the same show, using the same audio equipment (both at the source and by the listener), with the same mic set-up, etc. you can trust your comparison.  And, compared to other horn lines, Phantom's trumpet line is noticeably weaker than the rest of the line, often being lost in the sound of the rest of the horn sections with frequent points of intonation and a somewhat squeaky tone.  The rest of the line is very good, but they're not getting dinged for the sopranos/trumpets as much as they should.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corps8294 said:

What do Carolina Crown and the Blue Stars have in common? They are both a couple of extremely talented corps that were given very boring shows. 

Do you feel good posting this comment? This is a minority opinion, but not all shows work for all people. 

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

If you count the four minutes they're actually marching as perfect, then yes, those four minutes look spectacular. But the rest of the show, huh? SCV and crown should be beating them, if we're talking about "marching". Unfortunately visual adjudication is just as much about platform climbing, posing in position and a corps ability to be one with their WGI-ness then actual marching. 

I have long enjoyed the Blue Devils -- like most of you I am sure.  I love this year's corps and their music book is AWESOME.  I do not mind their visual ideas and construction because it is something different and unique in the activity. But I will agree that judges and DCI may need to explain to fans and critics of the activity how BD is scoring so well with all the park and bark, the scatter drill and play acting, and how little traditional marching they do. I was glad to see they added some marching to the end of their show. They needed it. But it's nothing special and I honestly do not think they execute anything they do better than the Cavaliers do. SCV too.  I would love to hear from DCI judges on this topic. 

I was only watching from Flo, but in my eyes the Cavaliers were the most impressive to me from a visual standpoint. If you consider they had the 2nd best guard out there (and I might have given them 1st in guard), and also consider how demanding and effective their visual program is (analysis), coupled with their sheer excellence in execution (proficiency).  I actually would have had Cavaliers 1st or 2nd in total visual. Again, I wasn't there live, but it either would have been Cavaliers 1 and SCV 2, or SCV 1 and Cavaliers 2. 

Now Cavaliers may not have done so well in music construction and total brass, but their percussion is pretty sweet.  The argument I am making is not that Cavaliers belong in top 3 (although they could make a run), but that Blue Devils are likely getting some credit where they likely should not be. As much as I love their show this year, it comes across a little cluttered in the ballad, percussion feature, and is slowly getting better in the closer. Even if I had put BD 3rd in visual they would still be 2nd place, but SCV would be in 1st at least for now. Again, I love this BD show; but I do feel they missed a "diamond" opportunity to include a little more traditional drill (especially in the intro).  Ultimately I do feel BD's visual analysis, GE, and percussion is what will allow SCV to pull ahead for good. 

• Like 3

The issue I have with BD isn't the lack of drill but the transition time between ideas - for example, if you look at how much time they take resetting the field and changing costumes at the start of the ballad - I can't help but wonder if they judges don't comment on this being rather a "pedestrian"/functional transition. I know they have been taking this approach for a few years and it clearly works but it leaves me scratching my head a little! 

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

So then the content score should be lower and the achievement score should be higher?? Like the corps is outperforming their design?

honest question. 

There is no way that a corps that stands for 8 minutes should have higher content scores then corps that do 100 drill charts in that same time frame. I don't care who the corps are. 

It doesn't matter which corps you are a fan of if there is no way anyone can honestly say that BD has a more visually challenging show then SCV or any of the corps in the Top 6 for that matter. I think that's where the frustration lies for many fans. 

And let's not get started on the GE topic lol...

Hard to debate someone who uses alternative facts, such as BD standing for 8 minutes. That is patently false and obvious to anyone who has actually watch the show. As far as 100 drill charts...again, this is a "visual" caption, not a "marching" caption. 100 drill charts show a lot of marching skill but not a lot of variety of skills. Maybe you should lobby DCI to get rid of visual and change the caption to marching (though I expect you would be disappointed when the Blue Devils maxed out that one next year as well).

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ContraFart said:

How is phantom beating BK?

visual -- for now. BK won the GE and music captions over PR on Saturday, and Phantom's lead in visual is only enough to give them a total 0.25 edge. BK is still digesting the added ending, and on Saturday it had the look of a just-learned addition. Once they get that ending internalized, and assuming the guard continues to improve its performance of the rewrite to its book, BK might be able to hang very close to PR in visual, and squeeze out enough extra in GE and music to overtake them.

Or not. We'll see!

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

4 hours ago, vhsmbdm said:

This was pretty fascinating  to watch. Direct side by side comparison of SCV and BD. 

Who would have thought this would work. I LOVED this video! My beloved SCV are confirmed IMO, as Superior...but #### Devils are polished, West Coast, Best Coast! This good with 2 weeks...