The Official DCI Southeastern Championship Thread - July 29, 2017

7 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Then there must be something wrong with the Flo sound because I didn't think phantom was a top 12 horn line from what I heard. They were thin, had intonation issues, and seemed to not be playing up to the difficulty of the book.

Everyone who has listened through Flo marching has seemed to think that and yet their brass scores have only been climbing. Every person who has seen them live has indicated they sounded much better than they expected to. Lesson learned? Don't trust video 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tommynev said:

Blue Devils are (perfectly) marching the best, and quite possibly most difficult drill ever written. It shouldn't even be close when it comes to the vis captions.

If you count the four minutes they're actually marching as perfect, then yes, those four minutes look spectacular. But the rest of the show, huh? SCV and crown should be beating them, if we're talking about "marching". Unfortunately visual adjudication is just as much about platform climbing, posing in position and a corps ability to be one with their WGI-ness then actual marching. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, tommynev said:

It's very hard to get across sarcasm in written form ;)

Especially when in two short sentences, you, in the minds of many, were inaccurate with your three thoughts.   Nice try.

1 hour ago, RedJazz1900 said:

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I missed it and don't want to dig: How did DCI determine the few corps that wouldn't be at the show last night?

Do to space limitations around the stadium, DCI made the decision months ago to limit the number of corps and what corps would not participate.

This question popped into my head as I had noticed that last night's BD-SCV gap was the smallest margin of victory in DCI history.

I was told from a reliable source that there are 11 other instances where a corps won by a margin of 0.025, which was the smallest possible margin of victory until the 2016 half-points rule change. I'm trying to compile a list of instances where a corps won by 0.025, and right now I only know of the two listed below. Does anyone know of other instances of this exact margin of victory, in either World or Open Class?

• DCI Finals, August 9, 2008: Phantom Regiment - 98.125, Blue Devils - 98.000
  • DCI Southeastern Championship, July 25, 2015: Carolina Crown - 91.500, Blue Devils - 91.475
Edited by Cadevilina Crown

48 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Do to space limitations around the stadium, DCI made the decision months ago to limit the number of corps and what corps would not participate.

They should have never had it there then. Might as well held it where DCI South used to be in Birmingham,AL or elsewhere to accommodate all corps

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

What do Carolina Crown and the Blue Stars have in common? They are both a couple of extremely talented corps that were given very boring shows. 

and both have had Frank Sullivan on their horn faculties.

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

If you count the four minutes they're actually marching as perfect, then yes, those four minutes look spectacular. But the rest of the show, huh? SCV and crown should be beating them, if we're talking about "marching". Unfortunately visual adjudication is just as much about platform climbing, posing in position and a corps ability to be one with their WGI-ness then actual marching. 

The caption is "visual" not "marching."

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zeke said:

They should have never had it there then. Might as well held it where DCI South used to be in Birmingham,AL or elsewhere to accommodate all corps

Could have held it at Vandy for that matter.

• Like 1