William "Allen's Town" - Friday Night - Aug 4th, 2017

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Didn't get to see everyone tonight. Had to call bingo for the corps. But I caught BD and Cadets 2.  Loved Cadets2. 

As for Blue Devils, my feeling about them at the beginning of the season was that the show was mostly unbeatable. I still think it is. They are simply so good at what they do. The show is built around that awesome music book. They may not do traditional marching as often as other corps, but they showcase so many types of visual styles...all of which they exhibit stellar technique in performance. They space things out so appropriately. They use the field in many ways. They stage their soloists well, and their guard is simply fantastic!

The demands that are put on their brass and percussion in terms of style changes, meter, tempo, chromatic passages, range, and phrasing are really a big level above most other corps, and a just slightly better than their closest peers (Crown, Bloo, SCV). BD's brass is forced to play in extreme ranges, often ranges that would be uncomfortable to many musicians. Couple that with the musical demand in tempo, key, rhythm, style, etc. and you have a monster line. I realize Crown has been winning brass a lot, and deservedly so, but I feel this BD line may beat them come finals. It will be close. I feel the greater demand is slightly in favor of BD. 

As for the park and bark that many do not like...I LOVE IT!!!!  I was a huge fan of the concert numbers back in the 70s and 80s.  BD gives us a glimpse into the concert number with these short park and blows, and who does a park and blow better than BD?!  No one. The whole show is just on another level at this moment. I love SCV too, and of course I still think Canton may push into the top 3; but IMO it will take a miracle for anyone to topple the Blue Devils. 

Agree.  Since early July I strongly suspected this show was going all the way.  In addition to everything you said, it is just so full of its own energy... that spills over in buckets.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bama Belle said:

For those asking about what Phantom Regiment's show is about (from the website):

This seductive, powerful character begins life solely as an invasion of mind, but quickly becomes something more, blurring the lines between beauty, madness, and desire. Forced to confront the enemy within, newfound strength leads to an awakening, and phantasy gives way to reality

It's about being infatuated with something that isn't real. That's why the members are reaching out and crawling toward the girl in the beginning. When they change to the white hats it represents the willingness to face reality and live in the present and be free from isolating ("All By Myself"- Rachmaninoff) things that will destroy you. 

To me it "fits" more than the random title"Metamorph" for the Blue Devils show. 

Random? The show is literally about the corps morphing over the years and into the future... 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Last couple of years the BD have gained almost 4 points in 15 and around 3 points last year.  So, they could be looking at around 99 this year.

They are a little off the mark but they can make it up. 2009 at Allentown they scored 95.75 and in 2014 the popped a 96.82. I think they will be in low 98's on finals night. But another 99 score for Concord would be lovely.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Random? The show is literally about the corps morphing over the years and into the future... 

Oh...is that what's going on? I had no idea. I love their show, but the random guy poking up out of the corps rocking back and forth cracks me up. The ol'nose to butt situation...bless those kids practicing that at the end of long, hot day...

;•>

1 minute ago, Bama Belle said:

Oh...is that what's going on? I had no idea. I love their show, but the random guy poking up out of the corps rocking back and forth cracks me up. The ol'nose to butt situation...bless those kids practicing that at the end of long, hot day...

;•>

He's shining bright...like a diamond 

• Like 2

I'm loving BD, Bloo and SCV this year. That I'll see each show at least three more times in Indy (and I expect I'll see BD or SCV a fourth time) will make for a great end to a great season. Throw in another Flo-cast tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday in Michigan City and the SCV Alumni Corps Friday night - my drum corps cup runneth over. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

He's shining bright...like a diamond 

I love how well that kid sells it. He locks eyes with the crowd during the first rock and then when everyone takes off to move to the second one, he keeps eye contact with the audience a few extra seconds before turning his head. Carefully considered details like that are why their shows communicate soooooo strongly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I do wish they'd end with more color on those wings. 

Did not care for the change in staging of the winged guard. Felt cluttered and messy.

27 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Didn't get to see everyone tonight. Had to call bingo for the corps. But I caught BD and Cadets 2.  Loved Cadets2. 

As for Blue Devils, my feeling about them at the beginning of the season was that the show was mostly unbeatable. I still think it is. They are simply so good at what they do. The show is built around that awesome music book. They may not do traditional marching as often as other corps, but they showcase so many types of visual styles...all of which they exhibit stellar technique in performance. They space things out so appropriately. They use the field in many ways. They stage their soloists well, and their guard is simply fantastic!

The demands that are put on their brass and percussion in terms of style changes, meter, tempo, chromatic passages, range, and phrasing are really a big level above most other corps, and slightly better than their closest peers (Crown, Bloo, SCV). BD's brass is forced to play in extreme ranges, often ranges that would be uncomfortable to many musicians. Couple that with the musical demand in tempo, key, rhythm, style, etc. and you have a monster line. I realize Crown has been winning brass a lot, and deservedly so, but I feel this BD line may beat them come finals. It will be close. I feel the greater demand is slightly in favor of BD. 

As for the park and bark that many do not like...I LOVE IT!!!!  I was a huge fan of the concert numbers back in the 70s and 80s.  BD gives us a glimpse into the concert number with these short park and blows, and who does a park and blow better than BD?!  No one. The whole show is just on another level at this moment. I love SCV too, and of course I still think Canton may push into the top 3; but IMO it will take a miracle for anyone to topple the Blue Devils. 

CC brass has fast notes, double tonguing, triple tonguing and all that stuff down pat, but BD brass are simply better musicians.  And god knows CC brass should be good at what they do, it's the same phrasing, same ole music progressions and same ole idioms ect. every year.  The need someone  who can write a show that doesn't sound like every other show they've done for a lot of years. 

• Like 3