Boston Crusaders 2018

22 minutes ago, gak27 said:

Jeff, I remember the Allentown (and other cities as well) practices and participation - in some years the crowd would do the "grunt" in time with the corps and then just scream...and the DM would get everyone revved up as well...I think it was '86 when it rained so everyone did a standstill and the Boston DM was just sprinting up and down in front of the horn line as they started the bugle calls. It was awesome!

i remember that one well!

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

personally my favorite drill moment is .././... while they play it

Me too. Again, it's really clever. It's an "old trick" but with a new spin. And I think it's really paying off.

Impressions from the tour premiere in theater:

Thoroughly enjoyed the musical performance and visual staging, it felt as if the show was a cross between the movie Cast Away and the book Lord of the Flies! How could they not use the bonfire prop from last year, they did a great job of repurposing it for the theme of the show. Lots of big brass moments and energy, and they will benefit from having the "coolest" uniform for these summer temperatures! I did not realize that the vocals were live, as I initially thought from their concert in the park that everything was prerecorded, it created a neat effect. Overall I think they did a good job of show immersion, as it felt that I was nearly stranded on some uncharted island.

• Like 1

Quick thoughts:  the uniforms were fine, I thought.  The singing felt like an afterthought.  The live program description was (while I know this is how the game is played) kind of silly; "human vs environment, human vs human, human vs self" - good luck getting that across to the audience.  Overall I thought they should have played up the classic castaway elements way more - bring in audio of a plane crash/shipwreck/radio call for SOS, move the drum feature to the "jungle" side of the field that was practically unused, make the struggle for the signal fire a big moment when it goes off...  That said - the music is *great* and the big beats of the show are clearly in place.  They just need to fill in the spaces.  (Morse code drill was absolutely brilliant!)  Sorry for rambling.  I really did like the show - I think it has a lot of room to grow.

Mike

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Quick thoughts:  the uniforms were fine, I thought.  The singing felt like an afterthought.  The live program description was (while I know this is how the game is played) kind of silly; "human vs environment, human vs human, human vs self" - good luck getting that across to the audience.  Overall I thought they should have played up the classic castaway elements way more - bring in audio of a plane crash/shipwreck/radio call for SOS, move the drum feature to the "jungle" side of the field that was practically unused, make the struggle for the signal fire a big moment when it goes off...  That said - the music is *great* and the big beats of the show are clearly in place.  They just need to fill in the spaces.  (Morse code drill was absolutely brilliant!)  Sorry for rambling.  I really did like the show - I think it has a lot of room to grow.

Mike

I really agree with you!   Loved last year's vocals, but this year's are a bit weak/odd (for now). Use the jungle more...great idea!

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I’m not sure if they’ll be live streamed in the next few days but East Coast Classic is a week from Sunday, and I’ll be seeing them live three nights in a row.

I don't show their first "flo-show" being until July 8th.  ACK!

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'd be happy of everyone would teach the crowd to vocalize during the Conquest hits like the old days!

Hell I remember several years at Allentown the crowd would practice them as they came on the field! Sadly, the last time I remember that reaction to the hits was in 2000.

here's an old clip that shows you

It is ironic that you chose this particular clip.  A careful eye will notice current BAC Percussion Caption Head Colin McNutt out there as center tenor, Inspire Arts & Music CEO Jim Cronin is on the podium as drum major, and that particularly intense contra at the very end of the show is current BAC Executive Director Chris Holland.

This corps is in GIANT hands.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, craiga said:

It is ironic that you chose this particular clip.  A careful eye will notice current BAC Percussion Caption Head Colin McNutt out there as center tenor, Inspire Arts & Music CEO Jim Cronin is on the podium as drum major, and that particularly intense contra at the very end of the show is current BAC Executive Director Chris Holland.

This corps is in GIANT hands.

That's Rich Perrier on the podium.  Cronin aged out in 90.  

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

We’ll see them Monday.  I’m pretty much done with the theater experience.  Miss too much. 

I'd say it is better to just give us all HIGH cam for opening theater because they don't know what to focus on for any of the corps...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Interesting fact, even though scores matter less than head to head results:  BAC's first score from last year = 68.15,  2018 first score=67.3

that's a useless comparison...trust me