Phantom Regiment 2018

I have expressed my concern that their design has been lacking and this year is no exception. While it may be a step in the right direction, when you are already (IMO) five+ years behind the curve, a 'step' in the right direction still means you are behind the times. It's time for leaps and bounds to take the place of steps. 

I have a hard time believing that these supremely talented members are being 'written down' to.  To me that is insulting. Thus one must conclude that it is simply the design staffs choices that are the reason for the current status. Someone indicated that perhaps it is too 'high brow, or to subtle'. Whatever the case, drastic changes need to happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rocketman said:

I have expressed my concern that their design has been lacking and this year is no exception. While it may be a step in the right direction, when you are already (IMO) five+ years behind the curve, a 'step' in the right direction still means you are behind the times. It's time for leaps and bounds to take the place of steps. 

I have a hard time believing that these supremely talented members are being 'written down' to.  To me that is insulting. Thus one must conclude that it is simply the design staffs choices that are the reason for the current status. Someone indicated that perhaps it is too 'high brow, or to subtle'. Whatever the case, drastic changes need to happen.

It is about as high brow as BD’s runs of shows from 2010-2013 but much less cohesive and clear. 

To me the staff went from one extreme the past few years to a totally different extreme this year. This program is honestly pretty reminiscent of the type of show the Blue Knights have done the last couple of years, but with less thought to the visual side of things. 

I don’t see the need to stray so far away from their roots and style. They don’t necessarily need to move away from story-style shows, other corps have shown that it can still be successful in today’s DCI. But they need to stop playing it safe. They can’t do another Triumphant Journey or Swan Lake. Phantom seems to do best when they go for designs and concepts that are less “pleasant”

29 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I don’t see the need to stray so far away from their roots and style. They don’t necessarily need to move away from story-style shows, other corps have shown that it can still be successful in today’s DCI. But they need to stop playing it safe. They can’t do another Triumphant Journey or Swan Lake. Phantom seems to do best when they go for designs and concepts that are less “pleasant”

This. Phantom Regiment is a corps that is, by its nature and name, dark and brooding (The black uniforms are due for a return, but that’s just my opinion). Some of Regiment’s greatest productions / performances have been because they were angry enough to say, “#### it!! We’re Phantom Regiment and here is what we do best.” The productions can be the designs of today, but still dark and classic Regiment. 

7 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

This. Phantom Regiment is a corps that is, by its nature and name, dark and brooding (The black uniforms are due for a return, but that’s just my opinion). Some of Regiment’s greatest productions / performances have been because they were angry enough to say, “#### it!! We’re Phantom Regiment and here is what we do best.” The productions can be the designs of today, but still dark and classic Regiment. 

Conversely, they pull out a show like Into the Light. I get goosebumps just thinking of it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

The black uniforms are due for a return, but that’s just my opinion

Did Phantom lead the pack on drastic uniform change when they first came out in black?

13 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

I disagree with the binary black/white dichotomy of Regiment's personality and show design. There are many beautiful things Regiment has done quite well. Ave Maria, Flower Duet Song, Into the Light (which was a visual complexity problem not a programming problem.)  But of late, Regiment has stayed at the vanilla level where it should play more of the dark AND beautiful moments in juxtapose. To limit Regiment to angry sounds more like a Rockford 18 wheeler talking and that doesn't go in today's show design layering.

• Like 2

As someone vehemently opposed to the current chop n bop trend (also, get off my lawn), I'd like to see Regiment build a show around 1-2 works like they did with Rhapsody (a show that would work quite well with current visual trends).  any "variations on a theme" approach would provide for a lot of flexibility in style and substance.

It might never happen, but they should try to get Shaw and Rennick back, because that was a match made in drum corps heaven.

• Like 2

I think if we give Brad Toth & his crew some time to work their magic, we'll see a turn around in their progression of placements.  Things will fall in to place - but it has to mature a little bit first.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jthomas666 said:

As someone vehemently opposed to the current chop n bop trend (also, get off my lawn), I'd like to see Regiment build a show around 1-2 works like they did with Rhapsody (a show that would work quite well with current visual trends).  any "variations on a theme" approach would provide for a lot of flexibility in style and substance.

It might never happen, but they should try to get Shaw and Rennick back, because that was a match made in drum corps heaven.

A show based on just 1-2 works (from any corps) seems almost as unlikely in today's DCI as Shaw and Rennick returning to Phantom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jthomas666 said:

I LOVE what Cavaliers have done w/ Bolero. I agree with you that doing several variations of a limited repertoire could be really cool.

• Like 1