Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

12 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Why not just forgive him again? I understand you're young, which makes it likely that you haven't had as much experience as many. So I'm trying to take a patient approach. 

Recidivism rates of adults that violate sexual boundaries is significantly high. High enough that we have learned that second chances in high risk scenarios (and high stakes scenarios) are simply  not worth it. Period. Forgive all you want. Witness and embrace them within your church if you feel like it. But putting him back into this environment is not the definition of forgiveness. It does neither him nor potential victims any good.

As someone with real experience and training enacting Safety Plans around potential violators I urge you to understand something. Untrained people, good leaders or not, have no business trying to engage in such processes. It is a specialized area and you have no idea what you don't know. It is incredibly naive and dangerous.

As we have seen played out in many subcultures and communities that have attempted to self police.

Not to derail, but my first thought upon reading this was of H.I. McDunnough.

“They've got a name for people like you H.I. That name is called "recidivism."”

Repeat offender!”

Not a pretty name, is it H.I.?”

No, sir. That's one bonehead name, but that ain't me any more.”

“You're not just telling us what we want to hear?”

“No, sir, no way.”

“‘Cause we just want to hear the truth.”

Well, then I guess I am telling you what you want to hear.”

Boy, didn't we just tell you not to do that?”

Yes, sir.”

“Okay, then.”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I’m late to the party but my pitchfork is ready

There you are!  I was worried you had been banned or given a timeout for too much railing against the borg or something. 

I’d happily rail against the Crossmen, I just need a bit more to go on

But their show last year did have that strange bondage, Vegas show  vibe so maybe I can work with that a bit 

15 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

(A) So you knew about Moody's past before you joined the corps? And are prospective members and their parents supposed to conduct their own background checks on staff members?

Apparently, he did not, so it is doubtful any prospective members were given the opportunity of informed consent, unless each family ran its own independent background google checks on every staff member

18 hours ago, Daktubalan said:

... But even when I found out about this during my second year my view of Joel never changed because I knew he was a changed man.  ...

Edited by Eleran

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

It is Dan's job to represent DCI. In this situation, and in my experience in communications, you get all of your facts together and then share the information with the press. Answer the questions. For those you can't answer... don't. YEA has less resources than DCI does and the have shown what happens when you embrace transparency. The old board was hiding and victim shaming. The new board has embraced a communications strategy of blunt talk, openness and transparency with EVERYONE (members, staff, fans, press). The result? The stories are now about how they are turning things around. Making the organization function properly. Addressing the old problems with new solutions. Preparing for the future. All POSITIVE stories after being brutally open. I completely agree there needs to be preparations and some coaching. But this is not complicated stuff. Get the facts, tell the truth, for questions that can't be answered get the answers... and repeat. And for the information that may be confidential in nature... just say so. But hiding behind "I will not answer any questions" or "submit them in writing" is not a good look for the activity. Given yesterday's article it is even more incumbent upon Dan to address this head on or it is going to be death by a thousand cuts.

This can work, but Drum Corps needs to be BRUTALLY honest & I am not sure we are there yet.

Another problem I have witnessed (& spent months undoing once) is when someone of authority made a statement that negatively impacted "other worlds that we did not know existed".  Drum Corps is smaller than USAF & DoD ('Duh' button), but the point is if the interviewee doesn't know, then say so & make certain to close the loop w/ interviewer.

Drum Corps is rapidly using up their chance to make a good  first impression.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

It is Dan's job to represent DCI. In this situation, and in my experience in communications, you get all of your facts together and then share the information with the press. Answer the questions. For those you can't answer... don't. YEA has less resources than DCI does and the have shown what happens when you embrace transparency. The old board was hiding and victim shaming. The new board has embraced a communications strategy of blunt talk, openness and transparency with EVERYONE (members, staff, fans, press). The result? The stories are now about how they are turning things around. Making the organization function properly. Addressing the old problems with new solutions. Preparing for the future. All POSITIVE stories after being brutally open. I completely agree there needs to be preparations and some coaching. But this is not complicated stuff. Get the facts, tell the truth, for questions that can't be answered get the answers... and repeat. And for the information that may be confidential in nature... just say so. But hiding behind "I will not answer any questions" or "submit them in writing" is not a good look for the activity. Given yesterday's article it is even more incumbent upon Dan to address this head on or it is going to be death by a thousand cuts.

The DCI response has been like it was when the licensing stuff blew up.......hide until attorneys sign off on everything. Plus DCI, as had been stated many times, is not like the NCAA with total ( and at times over reaching) control and Power....per the bylaws, the main office is set up to support the tour and merchandise, not be the be all and end all of power and rules and regulations

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Seems simple enough. Be transparent, truthful and present the facts, but knowing the personallity I find the response shockingly predictable. Like most in this activity, Dan found his way to make a living from it. I'm sure he will protect the only livelihood he knows.

I've always found it amazing amidst all the rumors, allegations and facts related to inappropriate behavior since its founding in 1972, that there were no procedures employed to express harassment policies in action in the day-to-day operations of DCI. Perhaps they were too busy scheduling and promoting shows and believed the individual corps plan, direct, manage, and oversee their own operations in regards to these issues.

oh from the beginning you can see the onus on self policing was left to the corps. Remember the financial checks DCI put in place are what maybe 15 years old....and I have yet to see or hear there's anything where they do follow ups, just the one time check, unless of course a crisis erupts

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

There in lies the issue. They have taken a hands off approach to the corps governance aspect of things. This is no longer an acceptable way to operate give the damage the actions of one (let alone several) groups could cause to the entirety of the activity. 

Remember DCI IS the corps. they set it up that way. Home office has never been the end all be all of policing and power

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

careful...loose lips :guinesssmilie:

I have nothing to hide.

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Remember DCI IS the corps. they set it up that way. Home office has never been the end all be all of policing and power

Maybe that needs to be re-thought through.  The challenges faced in 1971/1972 are different than those of 2018