Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

still don't get it but thats ok.

remember she's a drum corps outsider..who on the outside really cares about the activity. Guess I am not as trusting as many

I know I am a contradiction, but I’m a news junkie, but I am also suspicious of the press/media. Keep in mind an investigative reporter should not be an insider. Suppose the GH story broke due to the journalistic skills of a former Boston Crusader or a Carolina Crown alum, would we consider it unbiased? Suppose a recent college grad who marched with Bluecoats was now a cub reporter and did the expose after it appeared that GH was trying to lure members away from Bloo. Would we consider that fair or would we think the reporter has an ax to grind?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

my mom in 1966? LOL

And as the saying goes... the rest is history!!!  :laughing:

5 hours ago, skevinp said:

Careful...how...you...word...

Lol yeah 

10 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Dealing successfully with adversarial interviews is a mine field.  To do it well, you need constant practice - In a previous life (at Pentagon) we often worked late into the night developing PowerPoint slides with all the tough questions and suggested replies for General Officers testifying before Congress the next day (usually briefing them at 0530 (or 0600 if we got lucky)).  And Generals are very smooth talking politicians - they are groomed over years & sometimes decades.

Unless Dan A has a staff & plenty of time to prep, coordinate and make sure proposed replies pass legal muster I think it is wise to avoid talking w/ press at this time.

It is Dan's job to represent DCI. In this situation, and in my experience in communications, you get all of your facts together and then share the information with the press. Answer the questions. For those you can't answer... don't. YEA has less resources than DCI does and the have shown what happens when you embrace transparency. The old board was hiding and victim shaming. The new board has embraced a communications strategy of blunt talk, openness and transparency with EVERYONE (members, staff, fans, press). The result? The stories are now about how they are turning things around. Making the organization function properly. Addressing the old problems with new solutions. Preparing for the future. All POSITIVE stories after being brutally open. I completely agree there needs to be preparations and some coaching. But this is not complicated stuff. Get the facts, tell the truth, for questions that can't be answered get the answers... and repeat. And for the information that may be confidential in nature... just say so. But hiding behind "I will not answer any questions" or "submit them in writing" is not a good look for the activity. Given yesterday's article it is even more incumbent upon Dan to address this head on or it is going to be death by a thousand cuts.

Edited by MusicManNJ
typos
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, JoshClements403 said:

Can confirm. Working for the Cadets this season. Can't join the corps until all 3 background clearances listed above are completed and approved.

It is important at an absolute minimum (and it might surprise people to know that YEA has had it in place since PA changed the requirements), but it will not be failsafe.  Remember, GH would likely have passed EVERY background check with flying colors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

Get the facts, tell the truth, for questions that can't be answered get the answers... and repeat. And for the information that may be confidential in nature... just say so. But hiding behind "I will not answer any questions" or "submit them in writing" is not a good look for the activity. Given yesterday's article it is even more incumbent upon Dan to address this head on or it is going to be death by a thousand cuts.

Seems simple enough. Be transparent, truthful and present the facts, but knowing the personallity I find the response shockingly predictable. Like most in this activity, Dan found his way to make a living from it. I'm sure he will protect the only livelihood he knows.

I've always found it amazing amidst all the rumors, allegations and facts related to inappropriate behavior since its founding in 1972, that there were no procedures employed to express harassment policies in action in the day-to-day operations of DCI. Perhaps they were too busy scheduling and promoting shows and believed the individual corps plan, direct, manage, and oversee their own operations in regards to these issues.

Edited by Jim Schehr

13 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Perhaps they were too busy scheduling and promoting shows and believed the individual corps plan, direct, manage, and oversee their own operations in regards to these issues.

There in lies the issue. They have taken a hands off approach to the corps governance aspect of things. This is no longer an acceptable way to operate give the damage the actions of one (let alone several) groups could cause to the entirety of the activity. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I think its been pretty much established by now here on DCP the last month that NO CORPS.... nor even DCI HQ itself.... nor its Board of Directors,... is immune from heavy scrutiny on what they knew, when they knew it, and what they did, when informed. There are no " glass houses " that can protect any Corps, any Board, anywhere in DCI from what cleaning house and a full accountability means. So I agree with you that anyone that thinks their Corps, or their favorite Corps or Corps, or DCI HQ friends can rest easy, that it does not involve THEM probably is going to be on edge for quite some time now. This mess could extend to well beyond our initial thinking.

And the house cleaning, reorganization, needs to start from the top of DCI  ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m late to the party but my pitchfork is ready

I would not have taken a chance on Moody, seems like bad business, too much risk and even it that’s unfair to him, so be it. It’s the nature and the makeup of the activity that would have me saying no. And if by chance I did hire him, the first inkling, whisper, misstep he gone.

But what did the Crossmen do wrong here? In the story one of them said it was consensual and they didn’t report it and the other admits to dating a co-worker so it doesn’t appear they had a no dating policy in the org. and that too makes things a bit messy

As presented and with what is known, this isn't on par with Cadets

I'm seeing some red flags here all around,  any one remember the child sex panic in the 80's? Look up Jordan Minn. Let's not muddy this with sloppy click bait as that would do a disservice to all and further victimize the afflicted 

• Like 1