2018 Tour Premiere

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You know you have arrived when hate is spewed...lol...it's very much a part of the game

From what i've seen and heard save your money ,you wouldn't miss much  LOL

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

Overall, the six corps last night are a huge improvement over last year.  The quality in this activity is getting so much higher.  All six shows were great.  This year really is a win for the fans.  

Loved all of the big drill moves!!!!  Thank you!  Thank you! Thank you!  Please, Visual Judges: please reward these risks more than posing, twisting, wiggling, and standing on stairs!  

A thousand times this!

Seeing the rehearsal vids from out West, it seems like it will be the same visual package as the last 4 years. Let's hope good sense finally prevails.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mellojay84 said:

I was sitting next to an older lady in the theater last night..  We did not know eachother, but during the evening we spoke a bit.  She had 2 children who had marched with different corps, and she herself had marched with the Troopers.  She was very excited to see what the 'Coats had come up with this year,  her expectations were high!  After the show, I asked her what she thought (I loved it, although I could do with less vocals).  She then made an observation that took me by surprise....   she said: "I HATED IT,  I never expected them to sell out.  it's as if they decided if they couldn't beat the Dev's with their own style, then they'd put a Dev's style show on the field"   She was genuinely upset.   

I put a lot of thought into this, and I wonder if the stacks of white chairs, the jazzy character of the show, and/or some of the guard design was giving her that impression?  I mean, there are similarities..   I don't agree with her that it's an attempt to adopt the Dev's style and "sell out".  I just thought it was a good display of what the 'Coats current aesthetic is.    I didn't see the similarity she saw..   

I'm curious if anyone else got that impression?  

I wouldn't go as far as your theater friend, but I will admit that several moments of the production made me think of a half dozen BD shows from the past. That's not a criticism, but the chairs, the beatnik pit, the jazz club vibe kind of all factored in. There was one specific part where the guard was doing a block dance feature, and the thought, "this would be GREAT if it were done by the BD guard," popped into my head. They are just so known for that style that if you get too close to it, you can't help but think of them.

I really like Bluecoats show, though it seems but a framework at this point, with much to be developed. It definitely comes across as a stronger vehicle than last year, which had basically nowhere to go from opening night.

Is it as startlingly an original thought as their 2014-2016 shows? Maybe not, but it still comes across as a GENUINE thought with a lot of good ideas attached to the Billie Holiday/studio sessions concept. There is a lot they can do with it and it doesn't seem calculated or contrived at all. Looking forward to see how far they can push it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bicsta said:

seems like it will be the same visual package as the last 4 years. Let's hope good sense finally prevails.

Agree totally!  Movement!  Action!  Geometry!  CROSS-THROUGHS!  Difficulty!  Things that take skill and endless practice.  

4 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

Understand not a big draw at the theater ,14st Union Square only had 14 people there.dont belive they will show DCI again.During one interview the kid called them BANDS LOL

I went to the theater on 42nd Street.  I didn't count how many were there, but it was probably a third full.  A few years ago, the 14th Street theater was the only one showing DCI.  Maybe they should go back to that.

Initial reactions to the show last night: Wow all of the corps were prepared and had a lot of fun performing their shows! This will be a competitive season! Generally the broadcast was well done, and the commentary by Dennis ("God help us all" reference to props) and Steve is always fun to listen to. Had some camera angle selection issues, but the tour premiere serves as a test run for championship week. Not sure if camerawork was done by Flo Marching or DCI?

Also noticed that logistically the corps moving on and off the field looked like a fiasco with the amount of equipment/hardware and props that are needed to be transported in/out of tunnels, just something for them to consider with the time needed to setup on and step off the field at various venues.

59 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I wouldn't go as far as your theater friend, but I will admit that several moments of the production made me think of a half dozen BD shows from the past. That's not a criticism, but the chairs, the beatnik pit, the jazz club vibe kind of all factored in. There was one specific part where the guard was doing a block dance feature, and the thought, "this would be GREAT if it were done by the BD guard," popped into my head. They are just so known for that style that if you get too close to it, you can't help but think of them.

I would have offered the nice gramma a ju ju bead and said.... 

"Welp..... if you can't beat 'em....

join um....."
tenor.gif

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No time to right up proper comments...

Ugh ... that should be "write up" not "right up". Sorry.