DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

What did you think of Crown?  I cried like a little girl. 

Crown was definitely my favorite show of that year, hands down.  Their show was the biggest reason I bought it. :inlove:

• Like 1

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

Heck yeah!

giphy.gif

Uhh yeah. I beg to differ (but of course I would).

Ironically, I almost omitted that year from that posting. Good visual program, great musical program, fantastic drum feature, fantastic emotional quality. One of the greatest shows ever. Visually it was great, but I think Cavs had a great program too that year. They did tie for first, I believe. I know, you marched it, I still consider it the best show of all time, and I can say "OMG I KNOW SOMEONE WHO MARCHED THAT SHOW" lol

But it was just an example. 

I really am trying not to be rude about it, but the visual programs from tonight's top 3 really bored me. Blue Devils bored me the least. 

I'm trying to find out history on The Cadets, who their drill designer was over the years, and I don't know if Sactig wrote 1993, I don't think he did, and I know Zingali wasn't there at the time. Was it Sylvester? I also remember reading some kind of interview with Sactig where he mentioned 1998 was his favorite drill design to create. 

I think moving to Crown really took him out of his element. It's literally like trying to do the same things you did at your old job, at a new company. I wonder if he is finding it challenging to create something special with Crown, having been with another system for so long. 

5 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I want to see good marching

I do to but is marching even a good term anymore sounds like a "dinosaurs" term to me? Isn't it more of a performance, isn't that what the MMs are going for? With all the rolling around, head stands, belly flops and what nots. Your post is confusing and am wondering why you choose to poke at us dinosaurs when your acting like one yourself? See leave out the insults and your thoughts come across better, learned that the hard way. Thanks

• Like 2

1 minute ago, just_another_fanatic said:

Is this true or just speculation? Yes, I know during the standstill at Stanford the corps played their closer with those mello sustains. But did they remove it or are they saving it? 

I remember that melo part also...

2 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

Ironically, I almost omitted that year from that posting. Good visual program, great musical program, fantastic drum feature, fantastic emotional quality. One of the greatest shows ever. Visually it was great, but I think Cavs had a great program too that year. They did tie for first, I believe. I know, you marched it, I still consider it the best show of all time, and I can say "OMG I KNOW SOMEONE WHO MARCHED THAT SHOW" lol

I really am trying not to be rude about it, but the visual programs from tonight's top 3 really bored me. Blue Devils bored me the least. 

I'm trying to find out history on The Cadets, who their drill designer was over the years, and I don't know if Sactig wrote 1993, I don't think he did, and I know Zingali wasn't there at the time. Was it Sylvester? I also remember reading some kind of interview with Sactig where he mentioned 1998 was his favorite drill design to create. 

I think moving to Crown really took him out of his element. It's literally like trying to do the same things you did at your old job, at a new company. I wonder if he is finding it challenging to create something special with Crown, having been with another system for so long. 

it's 2018...many look at designers they love of 20 years ago, 10 years even a few years ago and seem to think they would do the same as back then. times  change style change, although those designers were great  why would they be doing the same. Look at Gaines, DO we really think the genius of  Zengali would be doing anything close to what he did then.. No

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

I do to but is marching even a good term anymore sounds like a "dinosaurs" term to me? Isn't it more of a performance, isn't that what the MMs are going for? With all the rolling around, head stands, belly flops and what nots. Your post is confusing and am wondering why you choose to poke at us dinosaurs when your acting like one yourself? See leave out the insults and your thoughts come across better, learned that the hard way. Thanks

I didn't use Dinosaur to be meant as an insult. Dinosaur is a blanket statement directed toward anyone who shows any resistance to change. 

But there is good change and bad change. Rolling around, head stands, belly flops, yeah I'm not sure what that all is, but it looks like it belongs in a gymnasium. 

The back flips in SCV show to me added nothing. I saw it as a gimmick. How did this add to what they were trying to say with their program? It didn't. All it did was give some people in the crowd an "omg look at that" moment. Typical of today's culture. Don't give me anything easy, just give me immediate instant gratification with cheap manufactured shallow stuff. Our society is growing exceedingly hedonistic and shallow, and I'm seeing it show up in this activity. Ok now I'm just getting grouchy. Time for bed.

5 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

Jeff Sacktig (sp.) began writing for Cadets in 1996 (or was in 95?) I believe. Marc Sylvester wrote up through 1994. I could be wrong though but I am about 90% sure I'm right about that.

I am holding out hope Jeff returns to Cadets. The circumstances behind his leaving were tragic, and I believe he went to Crown because they had an opening after his year away from drum corps.

1 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

I didn't use Dinosaur to be meant as an insult. Dinosaur is a blanket statement directed toward anyone who shows any resistance to change. 

But there is good change and bad change. Rolling around, head stands, belly flops, yeah I'm not sure what that all is, but it looks like it belongs in a gymnasium. 

The back flips in SCV show to me added nothing. I saw it as a gimmick. How did this add to what they were trying to say with their program? It didn't. All it did was give some people in the crowd an "omg look at that" moment. Typical of today's culture. Don't give me anything easy, just give me immediate instant gratification with cheap manufactured shallow stuff. Our society is growing exceedingly hedonistic and shallow, and I'm seeing it show up in this activity. Ok now I'm just getting grouchy. Time for bed.

I can't help but feel like these problems youre noticing started much, much earlier this decade

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1