DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

My thoughts right off the bat, the Color Guard scores, wow? Should we be surprised with Crown and BAC guard scores, knowing the staff swap that took place a few years ago? Bummer that the crown for the section Achilles heel has gone from percussion to the color guard. (Sorry about that, maybe a bit harsh, going for the joke here.) In all seriousness, the percussion was the weak link for Crown, now they are doing really well, however, the guard seems to be not up to par. Hope it comes together for them.

Is the VA that bad for the Cadets? If their score was closer to their other captions, how much difference would that make?

SCV!!! Heck yeah. I want to take a moment to highlight something regarding the 2011 season for SCV. That was the year Paul Rennick took over (Percussion), started to the foundation of the current staff with JD Shaw, etc. SCV's score tonight has surpassed SCV's 2011 Final's score of 92.20. Back then I was hoping that it would lead to a new era for Vanguard and it seems it coming (has come) to fruition.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I had a feeling you'd respond to that. Those were only examples :P  Good examples, though.

Well I think a visual program needs to tell a story, it needs to be engaging, show off a number of skills (hitting your dots in both block, line and curvilinear formation), needs to keep ones interest intact. SCV hides underneath cages far too much. They do too many blocks. Same with Bloo. To me, visual is all about the drill. 

With SCV and Bloo tonight especially, there were hardly any impact sets that came out of nowhere. It was all very generic and basic drill. Props don't count as visual product. They're just enhancements to add to the visual product. If you don't have a drill, then what good is a prop? What good is ketchup without a hot dog? Props don't tell the story, the drill does. It's all about the drill. Not the uniforms (or costumes), not the props, but the drill. And the guard exists to fill in the field with color and emotion, to the extent that the brass and percussion cannot. That's why they exist. The drill exists to get the point across in a visual medium. That is why drill exists. 

If they want to change the game, and have props tell the story instead of the drill, then they better be darn good with it. But you CANNOT replace drill with props and expect to get your point across if all you do is hide under them, and move them around the field randomly. Okay, I'm too busy watching everything else to focus on what you're doing with cages, where they were, where they're likely to be, and why they're here and then there. I'm too busy to figure out what you're doing with it all. 

I think this is a problem "dinosaurs" have with modern day drum corps programs. There is just too much going on. I want to see good marching. Plain and simple. 

I hope Sactig opens up a school to train people who to write competent drill. If he doesn't, his brain needs to be kept in a glass jar after he dies and hooked to a computer so that it can continue to put out.

If it's on the field,and it is used to help tell the story IT IS judged.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I had a feeling you'd respond to that. Those were only examples :P  Good examples, though.

Well I think a visual program needs to tell a story, it needs to be engaging, show off a number of skills (hitting your dots in both block, line and curvilinear formation), needs to keep ones interest intact. SCV hides underneath cages far too much. They do too many blocks. Same with Bloo. To me, visual is all about the drill. 

With SCV and Bloo tonight especially, there were hardly any impact sets that came out of nowhere. It was all very generic and basic drill. Props don't count as visual product. They're just enhancements to add to the visual product. If you don't have a drill, then what good is a prop? What good is ketchup without a hot dog? Props don't tell the story, the drill does. It's all about the drill. Not the uniforms (or costumes), not the props, but the drill. And the guard exists to fill in the field with color and emotion, to the extent that the brass and percussion cannot. That's why they exist. The drill exists to get the point across in a visual medium. That is why drill exists. 

If they want to change the game, and have props tell the story instead of the drill, then they better be darn good with it. But you CANNOT replace drill with props and expect to get your point across if all you do is hide under them, and move them around the field randomly. Okay, I'm too busy watching everything else to focus on what you're doing with cages, where they were, where they're likely to be, and why they're here and then there. I'm too busy to figure out what you're doing with it all. 

I think this is a problem "dinosaurs" have with modern day drum corps programs. There is just too much going on. I want to see good marching. Plain and simple. 

I hope Sactig opens up a school to train people who to write competent drill. If he doesn't, his brain needs to be kept in a glass jar after he dies and hooked to a computer so that it can continue to put out.

....or, at least, go back to Cadets (I can dream). Seriously though, thanks for the explanation. I find myself a little more confused with how judging is done nowadays in terms of visual. And although I love most of the shows nowadays, it would also be cool to combine some great drill with great props enhance the show. I think there are a few corps that have done that over the years, but I would like to see more of it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I still think a show like, for example, Cadets 2011, 2005, 2000, 1998, and yes, even as far back as 1993 (Cadets, OR Star, if you're one of those who thought they should have won), could still win, and is still a better product than anything we have from this year. Those kinds of visual programs (maybe even music) are still far superior to what I saw out of the top 4 corps tonight, and the scores should reflect as such. 

Cadets 2000 was not even the most compelling visual program that night, let alone of all time. Of the corps you mentioned, I don't think any of them has the right visual program that could compete-- not because of their proficiency but because of what judges look now. Hate it as much as you like, these days good visual programs != challenging drill (in the eyes of the judges anyway). BD 2014 done changed the game and made staging and movement vocabulary kings. 

4 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Does anyone else have that thing after you watch a live stream, that hen you close your eyes all you see are rifle tosses?

Heck yeah!

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, just_another_fanatic said:

Cadets 2000 was not even the most compelling visual program that night, let alone of all time. Of the corps you mentioned, I don't think any of them has the right visual program that could compete-- not because of their proficiency but because of what judges look now. Hate it as much as you like, these days good visual programs != challenging drill (in the eyes of the judges anyway). BD 2014 done changed the game and made staging and movement vocabulary kings. 

Uhh yeah. I beg to differ (but of course I would).

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

37 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

When’s the last time a corps not named the Blue Devils had a 1+ point lead over the course of a season?

Didn’t Down Side Up lead wire to wire?

I think crown barely beat them head to head once

posted from the DrumScorps app