Has Audience Culture Changed?

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Some people's natural levels of applause is very loud too. While others... well... not so much. Scientists are unclear why some think soft applause is better.

Image result for loud applause gifs

I mean the study on music BUT Im very sure what you said is also true..

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Then you get unartistic scrugs like me who just go to be entertained.... lol

You can have your cake and eat it too. A well designed and thought out artsy program can greatly entertain without being trite and pandering. :cool:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Btw every live event is experiencing the same thing. Pro sports is totally different in the age of television and the Internet.

Have you ever gone to a Philadelphia Eagles game?

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Last week, we were complaining about too much screaming from fans.  I do not think the audience culture has changed since last week.  Response just varies from one show to another.

Sigh.  Geez, am I sorry I ever said anything.  I won’t make that mistake again.  This is harder to get rid of than a bad rash. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Sigh.  Geez, am I sorry I ever said anything.  I won’t make that mistake again.  This is harder to get rid of than a bad rash. 

Think of it as a meme

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

No, but I have covered literally hundreds of major sporting events. Live event fan expectations have totally changed since HD tv and the Internet.

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

only with a gun to my head

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thinks there a several factors in the seemingly lackluster way in which audiences react to shows today compared to those in past decades.  

1.  The audience has changed.  I think we see more musically educated crowds who are less likely to scream and cheer in the middle of shows or at every amazing guard toss.  If you look back to the '80s  corps could see multiple standing ovations during their shows. In 1982 I marched with Memphis Blues and we had 3 standing ovations during our program.  Two of those were in the opener alone.   People were more likely to go crazy for a corps they felt a personal connection to. Corps had more local kids participating.  Corps today are no more likely to have members from the local community than they are to have members from other regions or even other countries

2.  Indianapolis.  I'm sorry but going to the same place every year for finals gets monotonous.  It's a lovely city, but not exactly known for being on the cutting edge.  In the '80s World Championships were held in cities that had little in common.  Montreal and Birmingham couldn't have been more different.  IMO the most enthusiastic crowds to ever see DCI Championships were in the South(excluding Florida).  Atlanta in '84, Jackson in 1993 and Dallas in 1991.  I've still never seen a crowd react the way it did during the performances of Phantom Regiment and Cavaliers at the Cotton Bowl that year.  It was off the chart insane.

3.  Modern show design is about bringing a concept or  story to life.  But sometimes we end up with a whole lot of concept and not a lot Drum Corps.  You wont see a lot of babies being thrown when that happens. 

4.  And finally.... I think we live in a world in which we are continually bombarded with stimulation to the point where it takes so much more to keep us paying attention.   I watched people have their heads buried in their mobile devices during corps performances, and that makes me sad.  

Edited by bluesman
grammar
  • Like 1

so I had some time in the car tonight, and i was surfing through shows of all eras to listen to...and this thread came up in my head.

And really....i think the issue is it depends on what your sweet spot in drum corps design is.

Personally, I love all eras. I listened to a recording from 1948 tonight. I'm a drum corps junkie.

I love the old way...break after every tune....I love what I see now.

to me...the era where i felt a loss of emotional connection was say 2000-2012.....the full and final transition away from what was to what is, as shows became full on productions with a flow throughout. Why? Well, after listening to several shows from that era ( when you drive from Stewartstown to Mechanicsburg in a driving storm, you have lots of time to listen).....the designers hadn't figured out the musical flow to get from A to Z. the breaks felt choppier between songs, in addition to some of the chop and bop arranging. Now, the shows have that full show flow, connecting start to finish. i thought for a while I had reached that point where show design left me and I was stuck in a certain era, but I'm not. The designers have just gotten better at making a full fleshed out production now.

But for some....they like what they liked, and change isn't good. And I know talking with my Dad....he isn't into whats being done today. The design trends lost him about 20 years ago. And reading this whole thread, that's the issue. It depends on the era you liked, or eras you like/liked. Now, the shows are designed to build to THAT moment, as opposed to MANY moments. Neither is right or wrong. It's just what it is.

• Like 1