DCI Southeastern Regional - July 28, 2018

13 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Was walking back to the hotel after the show and commented to The Son:  there were certain places in BD's show where I literally couldn't hear the brass above the mallets in the speakers -- which were directly in front of me (about the 10 yd line).  A random person walking along with us agreed and commented about the lack of balance between the brass and the pit. When the pit went to cymbals and percussion, all was fine. But mallets and synths -- no.

EDIT:  There were 2 other Corps with speakers spread out to the 10 yd lines (one with a subwoofer), but it wasn't BD.  Their speaker was on about the 20-25, but I was surprised at the volume it was cranking out seeing as how I was sitting outside of it and it was pointing inwards and I could still hear it clearly.

A BD homer would just say they just invest in great equipment. LOL

I don't know if it's because the stadium itself is so cavernous, speaker placement itself, or both, but this was true for about all of the top 6 for me 18 rows up from the field within the 40. Some worse than others. It was also hard to make out the vocals from any corps.

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

In St. Louis, people got up in the middle of shows and everyone had to stand up for them to get by.  And then they’d return to their seats in the middle of shows.  I lost count of how any times this repeatedly happened.  I was patient.  Said nothing. 

Unless it's a medical necessity,  there is no valid reason for this to happen.  The venue staff should be stopping this.  This should be in DCI's contract with every venue and ENFORCED.

Edited by 27Socal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Based on posts by others, it might be hard to do when they're in a seat watching the show.

If they're being paid,  they should be doing their job.  Sounds like the word to stop people from entering during performances, never made it down the chain of command to the ushers.

Edited by 27Socal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, desertrat68 said:

Ugh! This has actually been the roughest year in a while for vehicle/trailer issues for Academy. No show for them tonight so time to catch up to the corps if its something more than a flat tire. 

Was that this morning or last night?

It was between 11:30 - 12 noon today (Sunday).  I stayed over and had the Sunday brunch at the Omni before driving back home.

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Enlighten me then.

The chairs both serve as a metaphor for session musicianship, they serve as a modular stage that takes at least 10 different combinations throughout the program. I think it’s actually pretty ingenious how they are used throughout the show.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I agree, though I could do without the neon yellow.  Would have preferred something more muted that does not overpower the corps uniforms.

To my eyes, the Bluecoats color scheme is a big blur. Love the show and how the chairs are used.

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I agree, though I could do without the neon yellow.  Would have preferred something more muted that does not overpower the corps uniforms.

The ultra bright color palette is sort of the Bluecoats thing. Even their new Winter Guard picked it up. Something muted would have blended in too much imo. 

As a designer, I have long recognized that there comes a point in which a design mysteriously passes from objective to subjective. There’s no such thing as a wrong color of blue. Or in this case, yellow.

I think they probably could have gone a lot of different ways with the color, no doubt they once considered multiple colors. But the stages actually don’t have a lot of visual mass, they don’t have the visual presence of those big bright pink slides. Anything other than “loud” probably disappears and then they just sort of become a distraction.

I especially love their uniforms this year. The broad range of purples and greys, with multiple patterns, is such a unique and interesting way to communicate the concept of a session team. Everyone unique, everyone playing their part, everyone in the end saying something unique to the group itself.

I think the use of mobile stages is something that is here to stay in dci and I think it’s a good thing. Shows are spread out all over the field, and many of these stadiums are pretty tall. Stages help project the sound throughout the audience, and also gives the designers the opportunity to group players I different ways, throughout the field. Blue Devils sort of started this concept, and then Bluecoats blew it out with kinetic noise and then down side up. SCV really made a great idea last year with the wheels. 

• Thanks 1

Watching multi-cam on FLO I noticed other “just little SCV things” FMMs like me tend to spot...a couple of examples:

(1) After a feature the group of horns on Side 1 off the front sideline raise their left hands and “grab” the brim of an imaginary Aussie hat as they turn right. Genius.

(2) Bass drum feature on the 50 during drum solo...look at the placement of their feet, then go look at old DCI calendars or videos— yup, the classic crossed feet drumline stance. I was hoping for the one count “rock back with the one leg kicked up” pose past SCV bass drum lines were known for that was immortalized on an old souvie shirt, but no such luck. It would seem to be a great fit, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1