10 More Years in Indy

5 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I know a couple of years ago DCI signed a deal that would keep Championships at LOS through 2028. Does the OP mean that the Championships deal now goes through 2038?

I would take it to mean he is just restating something that's already a done deal to make it a point. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with most of the usual complaints about Indy. It can get boring after a while. (And I'm just an hour away, so I've seen and done everything scores of times.) But I also travel to the other regionals. Have great fun at them. Great to see Mercedes Stadium this year.

Still, the all-round package in Indy is very good. Hotels, meals, convenience of LOS, an airport that doesn't boost stress levels. DCI has the logistics down very well.

Probably an age thing, but with the amount of money needed for travel, hotels, meals, tickets, I'm no longer interested in a venue that isn't predictably comfortable. Drum corps is great outside. It's a very good experience inside, too.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Interesting the city asked them to stay. DCI would not be a major employer. As far as conventions/events go, DCI does fill the hotels, I suppose the restaurants do well, and finals attracts a respectable crowd, but unless you arrive early, you don’t have time for the touristy atttactions, the shopping, or the things that really bring in the bucks. I know that people taking advantage of the whole city is what Boston, Philadelphia, and New York hope for with conventions.

corps help fill hotels. not everyone tied to a corps stays in a gym, and some corps even stay in hotels. they make money on every ticket sold, the stuff sold at the stadium, the airport, taxis, you name it. It's help Indy out. 

and lets be honest no matter where you go, with prelims starting at 9 am thursday til almost midnight, semis at 2 til almost midnight, and then finals....how much time do you really have?

I am fine with Indy.  As others have mentioned, almost all of my time I have spent there during finals week has been dedicated to something related to the corps - shows, rehearsals, alumni meet-and-greets, etc.  So I do not care about any “touristy” stuff.  My time to vacation and be a tourist is spent on cruises, trips to Vegas, etc.  Finsls week is for drum corps.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I've always been a fan of that stadium. The city, however, is boring to me. But this is coming from someone from NYC.

Oh it’s boring alright 

You could have grown up in Mayberry and it is still boring 

• Haha 2

HOF show and possibly Erie stay the last outdoor shows of the season and are both roughly 1.5 hrs from me? YES

I can continue to make a day trip to semis and see the rest of the corps I missed as long as I get they day approved off? YES

I prefer the acoustics of a good old outdoor show but it won't rain on your parade indoors.

Indy is a nice city, low drama, low traffic issues, nice accommodations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I've always been a fan of that stadium. The city, however, is boring to me. But this is coming from someone from NYC.

I grew up 2 1/2 hours north in Ft. Wayne.  We found Indy boring as well.  Day trips to Chicago was where it was at.

• Like 1