Carolina Crown 2019

10 hours ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Have some faith jjeffeory, Crown will not lose 4th..

I mean, I'm a Cavalier fan, but I like CC as well.

We'll know more tomorrow if the weather holds. Crown is the favorite for 4th, but BAC had bested them a couple of times this season. Cavaliers were surging last week, and look to be surging till the end. The judges seem to be falling in love with Cavaliers show more than Crown too.

It's all fun!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I would say that BAC and Cavies WILL blow Crown out in the captions driven by the design teams. GE, VA (to a lesser extent because Crown will be clean), and Guard. In those captions Crown isn't competitive with the top 7 or 8. The design team and that includes the visual and musical designers failed them....again. The musical and visual delivery (the performers) keeps them where they are but if they have a shaky/flat run watch out.

Well just looking at the scores from Atlanta and Nightbeat, the last 2 shows where the top 6 all competed together, and GE and Visual was VERY tight between Crown, Cavaliers and Boston. The only exception was Guard, which Boston obviously has the big advantage on. Otherwise, all 3 corps were within 0.5 pts of each other so hard to say any of these corps are being blown out in those.

One other point, I find it funny that people say the staff has failed the kids and "if it weren't for the kids, they would be much lower" all the time. I'm just going to use Brass as the example since they interact the most with the rest of the corps. The design staff comes up with a theme and music choices and then the arranger then takes those music choices and creates the book for the brass that is both challenging and offers enough of a variety of skills and techniques as possible for the kids to master and show off what they can do. The brass staff then has to get the kids to actually master the book while at the same time fulfill their visual responsibilities that the visual staff requires of them. Of course, you have to have the kids with the talent and drive to master all of this as well. Without ANY of these people, you won't have an Ott contending horn line. People seem to forget that a good amount of the scores actually can be attributed to the books and design made by the staff. Give this horn line a mediocre book, it doesn't matter how talented they are, they aren't winning the Ott.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Well just looking at the scores from Atlanta and Nightbeat, the last 2 shows where the top 6 all competed together, and GE and Visual was VERY tight between Crown, Cavaliers and Boston. The only exception was Guard, which Boston obviously has the big advantage on. Otherwise, all 3 corps were within 0.5 pts of each other so hard to say any of these corps are being blown out in those.

One other point, I find it funny that people say the staff has failed the kids and "if it weren't for the kids, they would be much lower" all the time. I'm just going to use Brass as the example since they interact the most with the rest of the corps. The design staff comes up with a theme and music choices and then the arranger then takes those music choices and creates the book for the brass that is both challenging and offers enough of a variety of skills and techniques as possible for the kids to master and show off what they can do. The brass staff then has to get the kids to actually master the book while at the same time fulfill their visual responsibilities that the visual staff requires of them. Of course, you have to have the kids with the talent and drive to master all of this as well. Without ANY of these people, you won't have an Ott contending horn line. People seem to forget that a good amount of the scores actually can be attributed to the books and design made by the staff. Give this horn line a mediocre book, it doesn't matter how talented they are, they aren't winning the Ott.

This is the problem with Crown. The only thing the staff and fans seem to care about is the Ott. If you program for just that you end up with what they have. A great technical exercise for 12 minutes to the expense of every other caption. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

All I’m saying is .. in a non H2H .. Crown and SCV are getting close. Or closer.

.338 and I thought Vanguard look pretty good tonight. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spatzzz said:

This is the problem with Crown. The only thing the staff and fans seem to care about is the Ott. If you program for just that you end up with what they have. A great technical exercise for 12 minutes to the expense of every other caption. 

Hmm .. I don’t think the fans or staff just just care about the OTT .. not that long ago they won three captions in finals.... and right now the total music caption is their strength. I would not discount the progress in percussion .. design and guard will get figured out. And they can VP with the best of them .. given the right day. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

I was only using them as the example as Brass is so instrumental to both the visual and music captions.

This is not true AT ALL though! Crown's percussion section is VERY good and anyone saying they are a "weak" link is totally wrong in my opinion. Percussion in general is THE tightest of all the captions, again my opinion, when it comes to talent levels across the board. The guard program is also very good and talented! These aren't captions that Crown is ignoring. You just have to remember that the Brass has Klesch and Harloff, both of whom are arguably THE best in the business right now so it's not that Crown is "focusing" on Brass more so than those two as a pair, just don't really have a bad year too often at all. Rennick and Johnson are the same way when it comes to percussion. It's SOOO hard to beat their lines in general but neither one is a "focus" for their corps. They're all just vital pieces of the puzzle.

Edited by wilme861
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Crown has one of the most cohesive and musical books of the year. What a ridiculous statement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

How could this be true? Where Were their drum scores from 5-10 years ago? Where were their guard scores from 5-10 years ago?  You’re wrong. Your expectations are all out of whack 

Edited by KPinCAL