2019 Bloooooooooooooocoats

3 hours ago, Lance said:

i wish bloo's show was the fan favorite because i love the beatles, and agree the show is brilliant. but when you have  20 somethings on here saying "didn't the cadets kind of do a beatles show?" when it was a jethro tull show, it makes me dubious. 

I think they'll be the darlings of Finals. I even predict a standing-O for them as they ENTER the field for finals, whatever their placement. The DCI fan base is heavily populated with us old farts.

• Like 3

Down Side Up was a phenomenon. That said, I see similar momentum for this Coats show. It’s fun and it is technically awesome. They are the clear favorite heading into the middle stretch.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2019 at 9:43 AM, cfirwin3 said:

Star 91... Single valve arpeggiated ostinatos.  It sounds cool, but it isn't difficult. That show had half the number of sets and twice the standstill as today.

It was a great show.

It's a bogus claim.

No, no, no, no no. Star's book was extremely difficult in 1991 and what made it extremely difficult was the music they were playing while moving at the speed they were moving through complex drill. If you saw them live in 1991 it was really something to behold. Just spectacular.

I don't know how many sets 1991 Star had in comparison to today, but it's obvious you don't either in making such a claim that they stood still twice as much today. Are you just not watching? The number of sets is irrelevant. It's what happens between the sets that matters - the transitions. Today, it's a lot of scatter set dancing body movement tumbling between sets. Back in the day one set transitioned smoothly to the the next set, and those transitions were as important as hitting the sets themselves. So much so much so that during visual and ensemble rehearsals were were halted between sets. For example, if there were 8 counts between steps, we would stop at 2 counts, 4 counts and 6 counts were the form would be evaluated and people were directed to do things differently. The entire show then was one visual marching piece - it all tied together.

I will agree with those who say demand isn't only measured by marching at breakneck speeds, but no hornline today is put to task like 1991 Star was, or 1990-1993 Star for that matter. Or a handful of the Cadets shows through the years. What Star's hornline did in '91 was miraculous because it is so extremely difficult to maintain quality tone and breath control while marching a complex drill and trying to dress that drill while you were marching. A lot of simultaneous responsibilities.

Claiming corps are marching more today than corps did in the past, much less claiming they are marching more while playing and standing still less either means you just aren't paying attention or are making bogus claims yourself.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Blooooooo! 84.90! Once again, sweeping all captions except percussion! Undefeated in 2019!

• Like 4

i still don't understand how people can say "i don't really care for the beatles"

you won't find many groups, pop, indie, heavy metal, or otherwise, whose sound isn't a direct result of what the beatles did in their studio.

it's like saying "i don't really care for music"

• Like 4

I also don’t get people who look down on “covering” The Beatles, while “covering” Rachmaninov is somehow especially different. 

The arrangements this team dreams up are so amazing, so beautiful, and so unique, I almost don’t care anymore who they decide to “cover.”

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

i still don't understand how people can say "i don't really care for the beatles"

you won't find many groups, pop, indie, heavy metal, or otherwise, whose sound isn't a direct result of what the beatles did in their studio.

It could be somewhat generational.  The Beatles defined my generation. I had a Beatles lunchbox, Beatles figurines, and Paul’s picture on my bedroom walls. This show for me, is like I’ve died and gone to heaven.  Especially Blackbird.  My favorite Beatles song.  

I wish I still had that Beatles memorabilia.  That’s gotta be worth beaucoup Bucks now. 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lance said:

I respect what the Beatles did for the music industry. That being said there are only a handful of Beatles songs I enjoy. 

I am also a huge 90s Alt rock but don't listen to much Nirvana AND I think Dave Grohl is one of the greatest rock musicians of all time.🤷

It's a matter of personal preference. Anyway I saw the scores from tonight and go BLOO! This show is electric.

• Like 1

I don't care for the Beatles either, but I do think they had a huge impact on rock and pop. I also think they were very innovative and artistic, just didn't like their style much back in the day. I actually cringed when their show was announced before Detroit. Knowing their creative staff and that the Beatles had a lot of very good source music I remained optimistic. That being said, I was blown away at the theater opening night.

Edited by NCWVUFAN
  • Like 2