Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

Just now, Mello Dude said:

Scary.  That's not called engaged, that's weird.

Ok been called worse do you have any children, not that it madders and would not call anything you do weird, just wondering? 

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Yes and no

its deeply related

Hopkins was blammed G7, Bb, amplification and electronics etc. when there were in each case many involved 

Those topics are intwined with this issue

its a cultural phenomenon 

several individuals “above the law” in a way

The healing needs to be a much broader and an organizational one

Blenski and Hopkins aren’t even the biggest examples of this sort of abusers in the activity, the bigger ones (several of which have either passed away or are still active in top organizations) have so far been swept under the rug 

and removal of Hopkins doesn’t remove the issue, this one or the others - G7 wasn’t Hopkins, voice wasn’t Hopkins, abuse did not depart with Hopkins (or Blenski)

amd there’s those who think it does - and it doesn’t — there’s a connected few. And THAT needs to end 

Not swept under the rug (although currently not public)... for several, their day in the sunshine is coming.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, year1buick said:

Now that this has moved out into the open, beyond the realm of Reddit and DCP, I can’t imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to march there with this guy at the helm. (A moot point anyway, with the suspension.)

I also can’t imagine Dan A. allowing them to tour with him at the helm. (And if he doesn’t appear to be getting more in front of this stuff, I can also see the member corps looking for other options to run DCI. A little early for this, maybe, but the organization’s reputation is taking a beating right now.)

What a royal cluster. 

Imagine being a "civilian" not knowing the first thing about drum corps. Your kid comes home and is super excited about this thing their BD was talking to them about, really wanting to audition. So you decide to get on Google to find out more info, and you see that TWO (so far) different corps have been under some sort of investigation by the media, and what appears to be the main organization looks somewhat incompetent at handling the situation. That's what really sucks about all of this, and is why I think something drastic needs to change.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

Ok been called worse do you have any children, not that it madders and would not call anything you do weird, just wondering? 

I do and have.  Both married with families of their own.  Being a helicopter parent and tagging your child like an animal knowing everything they are doing, especially at the ages we are talking about 16-22 isn't a good thing.  Not saying don't check up on them, but tagging them like animals and basically saying you are incapable of making good decisions so I will overlord over you, is well weird and counter productive IMHO.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

"Indy Star"

It’s interesting, there has been so much speculation about people coming forward and potential reports, I thought when we were in Indy, we would have encountered an investigative story either by a newspaper or local news station. 

Just now, Tim K said:

It’s interesting, there has been so much speculation about people coming forward and potential reports, I thought when we were in Indy, we would have encountered an investigative story either by a newspaper or local news station. 

WFMZ Allentown...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

The G7 idea, written by the original sinner precipitating this activity-wide existential crisis, proposed putting far more trust and power in his hands.  Still think that was the right idea?

Maybe using the G7 idea as a point of reference wasn't a good one in this context. The point I was trying to make is that while we all wish there were many, many thriving drum corps the reality of the situation is that today's corps require A LOT of money to run and run well. Maybe the activity would be stronger in the long run if the number of active corps was reduced to only those that currently meet an enhanced standard of care and financial responsibility. Others could be brought back into the fold as they can PROVE ANNUALLY that they meet these enhanced standards.

IMHO there are only a handful that currently meet acceptable standards of member care consistently from year to year.

6 minutes ago, Legoman said:

Imagine being a "civilian" not knowing the first thing about drum corps. Your kid comes home and is super excited about this thing their BD was talking to them about, really wanting to audition. So you decide to get on Google to find out more info

Flashback to when the DCI telecast would say members couldn’t march after age 22. Quick google and half DCI and half DCA links. Tried to tell people it made DCI not look creditable but only got slammed (well WE know what they meant).

19 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Not swept under the rug (although currently not public)... for several, their day in the sunshine is coming.

I agree. This is all connected. There are (and were) a group of individuals (and I'll add here - the vast majority of folks are FANTASTIC) that are well connected and are/were highly influential that have allowed THIS ISSUE and other dynamics to exist for far too long. IF we wonder how the G7 type things happen (and nearly become reality) it is because of this dynamic. Power corrupts - even in a small "niche" activity such as this.

• Like 1