Pasadena, CA - Saturday, June 29, 2019

and theres the ending for now while they fill in the rest

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Wouldn't be a JD Shaw show without a bunch of screaming mellos

They're performing the heck out of this show but man I can't get into it. This is like Ourobouros for me. Just a bunch of sameness. 

Give me shows like Babylon or Force of Nature 

I said the same thing.... Opener remind me of Ourobouros, the dynamics. A little stale-ish. Its performed really really well. But i don't see them repeating this year. I love SCV though.

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

2017 and 2018 blew me away from SCV.  They struck an amazing balance to me of what drum corps was, is, and is going towards.  Fantastically staged moments with some old school amazing Michael Gaines Drill, incredibly exciting music, and incredible performance levels.  This year, even with the closer (or what is probably a first version of it right now), still leaves me feeling……..weird. Everyone is where they should be and the transitions are seamless/flawlessly performed, but this crosses a line for my personal enjoyment of the amount of fluttering/scatter/etc. whatever you want to call it.  I’m not sure how to describe it but there is so little of what I’m used to seeing in terms of drill design and the like. Michael Gaines is a master, but I’m just not really sure if this is the direction I want to see the activity headed in from a staging perspective. It’s done so well, just……..it doesn’t look like “marching” anymore.  Blue Devils and Bluecoats do this some too but not to the extent this show does, there are still moments that really wow me in terms of drill. And maybe that’s the point? I don’t know. Music is amazing, and growing on me. Closer is BEAUTIFUL. Brass sounds phenomenal (CONTRAS WOW!), percussion is amazing as always, and the colorguard is WOAH.  Maybe I’m not ready for a show like this. Maybe I’m feeling my first taste of what people have felt about the Blue Devils from 2009 to current. Maybe Star 1993? I’m not dogging them for it at all because they do it SO well but this is starting to veer away from the activity I’ve come to know and love over the last twelve years. I need to see it live.  Maybe that’ll pull me in.  

Sorry for the novel, just feeling lots of weird things watching this show.  I’m not trying to take away from anything they’re doing so well, just leaves me feeling really different.  

I think you described it perfectly. The DCI Champion I supposed to pushed in a new direction and its not always received well, at first.. Vanguard is clearly following their name and background by trying new things and I applaud that. Time will tell if that will win again.

13 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3327865

SCV homie....yes. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, jasgre2000 said:

I'm an SCV fanboy, and truly do like this year's show, but I can admit that they are probably benefiting quite a bit from not having the beautiful, but super-exposed, flowing drill of the past.  I do miss that.

Disappeared last year...  But now you can watch the crazy drill over at the Blue Stars :thumbup:

• Haha 2

Bold take:   BD, Cavies, SCV tonight.

What i think will actually be: BD (by the thinnest margin), SCV, Cavies

• Like 1
  • Haha 2