How does drum corps evolve?

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Renegades wanted to recruit a number of BD guard age outs to join, and they were like NO thank you! Time to grow up and purchase a ticket. They folded.

They did have their share of BD talent in the ranks, particularly in the horn line... Larrie Dastrup, Jeff DeMello, Chris Nalls, others. Those dudes could play a bit.

But ultimately, not enough.  They were fun to watch, and they had a few really good years during their run... but it proved to be unsustainable.

• Like 1

I think it evolves until I'm no longer reminded that I'm watching  a production on a FOOTBALL field ( ala Cirque 

du Soleil)..only problem is , I can't afford Cirque tickets..hope Drum Corps doesn't become so exclusive economically that the average fan can no longer afford to attend LIVE performances..FLO is O.K. but Live is still the best way to appreciate Drum Corps.IMO

I'm an old timer. Began watching DCI in 1978, saw my first live shows in 1979. Loved it then, and still love it today. Do I expect it to stay the same? No way. Times change. Culture changes. Sure, not all change is good...and not all change is bad. I've adapted. I love where DCI has gone. Are there issues with certain aspects of amps, mics, narration, singing, audio clips, props? Yes. But have some of those things been done really well. Yes.  

Just like in the past, there were corps that were simply better at design, at using the resources they had. The tool pallet is greater for the designers of today. WGI has provided a wonderful performance medium for those interested in guard and winter percussion. This means the top corps are getting many more talented and experienced members in those areas, and designers are making use of this. Today's rules allow for electronics, audio, amplification, narration, singing, and there are designers who wish to take advantage of that. 

This year's Bluecoats and Blue Devils productions are absolute marvels and fantastic programming at the highest level. They are also two of the most fan-friendly shows on the field. One might argue that most fans feel Bluecoats have the most popular and entertaining show.  The point here is that BD and Bloo have figured out how to integrate all the tools and talent. The fans seem to love it. I love it. Do I want to go back to the 80s? Heck no. Good bye and go away 80s. We now live in the second decade of the 2000s. Let's live in the present. I loved the 80s at the time. Time to move on. Today's kids are living in the present. This is their time, and the activity is for them first and foremost. 

Also, for those of you that think just marching traditional drill and playing music is harder than what these kids do, you are really misguided in my opinion. This is simply not true. And even if you think you are right, who cares? Drum corps isn't just about demand. It's also about quality. Every corps back in the day stood still for a concert number in the 70s and early 80s. No marching there.  Will we see a return to some older styles every once in a while, sure. And that is cool. But overall I am glad to see drum corps where it is today. Please do not go backwards. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2019 at 6:17 PM, heyboiay said:

What influences the change and evolution of design in drum corps over the years?

Two things:

1.  American scholastic music. 

For most DCI corps staff, and many judges, DCI is their summer job.  Their primary careers are in music education.  Their tastes and preferences, therefore, reflect those of the scholastic music culture.

Marching membership is almost exclusively drawn from school music programs.  Recruiting has been focused on scholastic musicians for decades.

2.  The marching music industry.

Instrument manufacturers, both brass and percussion.  Equipment makers, for everything from drumsticks to props and tarps.  Uniform/costuming companies.  Manufacturers/providers of electronic sound reinforcement systems, synthesizers, and assorted electronic musical instruments.  Call them the "marching arts industrial complex".

They influence the direction of the activity in many ways.  A quick look at DCI.org, or any corps website, reveals many such company logos as financially tied to the activity as sponsors, business partners, and/or advertisers.  These relationships extend to the personal level, as many DCI judges, designers and instructors are paid endorsers of specific products or product lines.  Over the decades, drum corps activity leadership has gradually conceded their vision, and the identity of the activity, to these influences.  As a result, DCI today is essentially a marching arts manufacturer showroom, and shows are designed as much for product placement as anything else.

• Thanks 1

the 4-5 year evolution i predict:

the effort to erase as much of the field as possible by covering it with tarps and megaprops will greatly increase

top corps will utilize 50 yards of the field from side to side, max, which makes the above easier

hornline sizes will shrink as amplification of horns increases

pre-recorded stuff of all kinds will increase

Edited by Lance

2 hours ago, Lance said:

the 4-5 year evolution i predict:

the effort to erase as much of the field as possible by covering it with tarps and megaprops will greatly increase

top corps will utilize 50 yards of the field from side to side, max, which makes the above easier

hornline sizes will shrink as amplification of horns increases

pre-recorded stuff of all kinds will increase

See yeah!

trends come and go....and sometimes come back. and until that time, every little change will result in dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria