DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

7 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I left. I saw the Spartans while the stands were practically empty earlier in the day and their show was great.

Congratulations to them on the open class championship. It was well deserved and this is the best show from them I have ever seen.

The place was empty for a lot of Corps on Thursday morning.   I’m glad I saw everyone. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Dan Potter is self-serving, self-absorbed, self-centered, narcissistic, DCI boot licking sycophant who thinks his position as commentator is a lifetime appointment. I’m surprised his nose and lips aren’t Blue from kissing up to the Devils after all these years. 

Tell us how you really feel!😊

9 hours ago, bgg80 said:

What exactly is the past score history approach?   I'd argue you need to look at a finals judge, judging the caption he/she is covering on Finals night, judging BD and BC head to head.  And .. I'd argue in the past three weeks.  Anything earlier?   hmmmm

If the "past score history approach" is judges scores outside of head to head matchups ... well ... there are plenty of lectures on this forum about assuming anything from comparing scores from separate shows.

I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I can't find too many examples of head to head, same captions with Finals judges this season.  GE judges?  Stone had BC over BD by .1 .... three weeks ago.  Jones had BC over BD by .1.  Similar GE caption gaps tonight.  Although an interesting one -- Dillon had BC over BD in GE recently .... and guess who he went for tonight?  BD by .05.  

It all goes to say ... don't overthink or overanalyze panel "bias".  Performance level matters bigtime.  2015 is a classic example, with a similar "panel stacked for Crown" proclamations.   What a great season!  Good luck to both "Blues"

Past score approach is literally what the entire DCI scoring system is based on. 

39 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Yes I know him very well thank you and his comments last evening reflects his personality to a “T”. 

We're going to see him in a few minutes.  I'll ask him if he knows you by your avatar and share your thoughts with him.

Thanks for that.

50 minutes ago, garfield said:

I’m bothered by all the Dan Potter attacks when so many fans couldn’t be bothered to see them perform.

I’m reminded of stones and glass houses.

I agree with you, here, but Dan made those comments to members of the corps, not to the fans. I feel Dan used poor judgement last night and should apologize to the Spartans. Them "winning by default" is a horrible thing to say or infer to a corps that actually showed up for Open Class Finals and won the Gold on the field. Yes, SCVC and BDB were not there. Who cares? We miss them, but those organizations did what was best for them and I applaud them for it. But when it comes to competition you only refer to the corps actually competing, not hypothetical scenarios that do not exist. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree with you, here, but Dan made those comments to members of the corps, not to the fans. I feel Dan used poor judgement last night and should apologize to the Spartans. Them "winning by default" is a horrible thing to say or infer to a corps that actually showed up for Open Class Finals and won the Gold on the field. Yes, SCVC and BDB were not there. Who cares? We miss them, but those organizations did what was best for them and I applaud them for it. But when it comes to competition you only refer to the corps actually competing, not hypothetical scenarios that do not exist. 

I don't disagree with you at all.

But one giant is already beheaded this year.  Another is not needed.

(He did apologize and wrote kind and consoling comments to the corps and the DM.)

• Like 5

Just now, garfield said:

I don't disagree with you at all.

But one giant is already beheaded this year.  Another is not needed.

(He did apologize and wrote kind and consoling comments to the corps and the DM.)

Thanks for the update. I figured he would. He is a great guy and really good at what he does. 

• Like 1