Disturbing DCI rumors

5 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Those WW players that have marched DCI before are very worthy members and they did much more to earn their spots than the brass player had to do.

But to think that the youth these days would want and seek out extra responsibilities only to be in the same position as their Brass players is not realistic. Most WW players would look at the hurdles they would have to clear and say, nope Not for me, I'll just not march then.

I never said brass members are more worthy than woodwind performers. I do not agree with your position that excluding woodwinds is unfair or discriminatory, any more than saying that basketball players who want to play football need to wear a football uniform and use a football when playing. 

I also can’t agree with you that a high school student who really wants to march DCI would not be willing to learn a new instrument. Kids who march drum corps are highly motivated. Many are excellent students, some are fine athletes too. This is buying into the stereotype that young people today believe they are entitled or are nothing but slackers, and while this may be true for some, it’s not the case for all. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Nope. The starting points are not the same. The WW Player started two steps back from the Brass player.

In a 100M Race. The Brass player ran 100M. The WW Player Ran 110M. From the moment that they started learning a WW instrument in MS they took two steps away from reaching the goal of marching in DCI. 

Allowing WW in on their own instrument, Everyone will have to run the same 100M to reach their goal. 

I beg to differ.  Most elementary school students (not playing Suzuki strings) get their first musical instrument experience playing a "recorder".  Two hand fingering of a recorder has much more in common with any woodwind instrument than with a brass instrument. 

By your logic, that puts the brass players as the ones running the 110M. 

:whistle:

Edited by Old Corps Guy

JUST CURIOUS . . . 

As I don’t participate in Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. and make Drum Corps Planet my only message board source,  has there been any chatter of excitement from what we believe to be young woodwind players?  I surely haven’t seen any evidence of that here on DCP. 

Anyone read a few “Geez, this would be cool if it passes. I always wanted to do DCI as a woodwind player!”

Are accordion players piz’d they’re not being included?  (asking for a Mummer)  😝

10 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Are accordion players piz’d they’re not being included? 

Myron Floren would be proud of you, sir. :tongue:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

JUST CURIOUS . . . 

As I don’t participate in Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. and make Drum Corps Planet my only message board source,  has there been any chatter of excitement from what we believe to be young woodwind players?  I surely haven’t seen any evidence of that here on DCP. 

Anyone read a few “Geez, this would be cool if it passes. I always wanted to do DCI as a woodwind player!”

Are accordion players piz’d they’re not being included?  (asking for a Mummer)  😝

As long as he’s not with Ferko...

kidding as that name cracks me up....

On 1/6/2020 at 10:49 AM, Jeff Ream said:

see Madison 2019

you're right in this particular instance

52 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Not sure about others, but I have it on good authority that the estate of Myron Floren is disappointed.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Ok you’re old.  It’s official. 

Yep... and for reference couple months older than Terri....

wunnerful.... wunnerful....

• Haha 2