Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

17 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You are being too hard on yourself.  How were you supposed to know that officials would go from counting deaths from C-19, to deaths with C-19, then to deaths during C-19?  Or that hospitals would be financially incentivized to label anything remotely similar as C-19 without verification?

15 hours ago, skevinp said:

The important thing is that you are having a good time.

You have no idea how much I would like for you both to be right and me to be wrong about this. How many lives wouldn't be lost! But that's not the situation we find ourselves in, sadly.

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Assuming there's not a massive spike in COVID-19 cases within the next two weeks........why was this season of Drum Corps cancelled?

I wouldn't assume that. There is a lot of concern out there that these mass gatherings will result in more cases and more deaths. Sympathetic as I might be to their message, no way would I attend one of these events, for fear that I'd catch it and then infect my aged parents.

And more than 100,000 people are dead in this country because of Covid-19. Don't listen to people making arguments to the contrary. That's an undercount not an overcount. To take one of many examples: pneumonia deaths in Florida, deaths not attributed at this time to Covid-19, are significantly up from the average of the past several years. That 100,000+ figure I cited is the current official national count, but the real number, the one that will go into the history books, will be 25%-50% higher than the count reported at the time: that's what happens every year with the flu count, too; that's how epidemiology works. Every year. (Some people continue to refuse to acknowledge that basic fact) And the epidemic is still raging here. And if we hadn't taken the steps we did, the number would be many times that. Even as it is, things did not go well here. Compare our numbers to South Koera, a country whose first recorded case happened on the same day as the United States: we're six times larger than them but we have 366 times as many deaths.

I mean, I seem to be the pessimist around here, and what I thought was a pretty negative prediction in April proved to be too optimistic. We're now tracking to have at least twice as many deaths in just four months as we lost over eleven years in Vietnam.

So why was this season of drum corps cancelled? It was part of an effort to save at least half a million American lives. If I were running DCI or one of the corps, my statement to you would be: you're welcome. Be encouraged that they made the hard choice to do the right thing. They didn't wait for their hand to be forced. That was noble.

And sure, maybe we'll get lucky in the summer. Tonight I saw a doctor on a news program recommend that every person at these events go get tested. But a lot of the people in those crowds are wearing masks, which reduces transmission. And they're outdoors, where the virus doesn't spread as readily. And it's finally warm almost everywhere, and the virus doesn't survive as long in those conditions. So fingers crossed for the best.

Even so, if all that works out, imagine a drum corps season under those conditions. The corps could start rehearsing about now. And they'd have to do it all outdoors. And they couldn't travel on air conditioned buses, or maybe they could if they all kept still, didn't talk, and wore masks the whole time (like a fair proportion of the subway riders in Seoul or Tokyo--seriously: Japanese researchers think that not talking on a crowded subway is an important factor). And they'd have to stay in hotel rooms. And all of that, if it were possible, couldn't have been planned in advance because in March we had no idea what the world would look like in June.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Assuming there's not a massive spike in COVID-19 cases within the next two weeks........why was this season of Drum Corps cancelled?  

This was discussed in depth earlier

Some previously mentioned, and current ,pertinent points:

1.Most schools are closed till at least September.

Where would  corps stay,practice etc. ?

2.You would have to have regular testing of all corps and staff

members.

What happens if someone tests positive,and you have to quarantine the corps ?

3.Most states still limit the size of outside gatherings.

In N.J. its 25 people.

4.Even if there were no limits on the number of people in a 

gathering,Social Distancing is still required in most states.

5.I don't know any state that is allowing "fans" at sporting events.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

No one has a crystal ball to tell the future good or bad.... We have states not totally “open” and even those “open” states are watching in order to close things up if cases start up again. 

How can DCI do a tour across multiple states when each state is different in regards to coronavirus impact. Even with in some states the status goes from one extreme to the next.

and I don’t know of any place that said it is safe to stop socially distancing which is impossible on the field and in a packed set of stands

Edited by JimF-LowBari

PA just announced in building for public schools can resume 7/1. There is a whole laundry list of things that need to be done and planned first but it’s a start. One item is “plans for at risk students” which doesn’t sound like a “one size fits all students” plan which is great. Higher education can resume in building next week, also with planning and restrictions.

Article wasn’t too detailed so that’s all I know for now 

edit: found another source that said these are preliminary plans and details being worked on.

Also sent nasty gram to local online news. They brag that all coronavirus news will be free. But this one (which concerns kids) is an “exclusive” (but can be found in at least one other place) so you must sign up at $10 a month. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

15 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

"It ain't over till it's over."  - Yogi Berra

Phrase has been used many times over the years:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

[stuff]

Never mind. Carry on.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Haha 3

Too #### people have died. Who the hell cares what the actual number is. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Too #### people have died. Who the hell cares what the actual number is. 

Well, given the 11,748,296 posts he has made gleefully finding every possible excuse to mention it, including in an encouragement thread, I would say that N.E. does.  

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

PA been around 400-700 a day for about a month now. Considering it was over 1000 for way too long that’s good news. In a few days state will open up more including eastern side (Philly/Allentown) which had been worst hit. We’re still 7th in cases but sadly TX and IL catching up. We will see if people get complacent with more openings. My county is in yellow and many stores only allow in a certain number of people at a time. And no shirt, no shoes, no mask and your butt stays outside. But haven’t heard of any real trouble with that policy

well, watching the news, Philly kinda opened up a lot the past few days