Time for DCI to cancel season?

Just now, HockeyDad said:

I believe the reason it was called the Spanish flu was because the king of Spain was a famous person who caught it. That may be totally bogus but I’m feeling too lazy to look it up. 🤗

As garfield noted, the virus is now believed to have originated in Kansas.

The reason the Spanish Flu got that name is that Spain was neutral in World War I.

The virus was everywhere in Europe (and elsewhere) but the Allies and the Central Powers, being at war with one another, were censoring journalism to prevent reporters from telling the world how bad the epidemic was in their respective countries. Better that people get the flu than morale go down, you see. Mustn't alarm the public.

But those reporters were free to talk about how bad the epidemic was in Spain.

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In other words, Edgar Poe knew what he was talking about.

"And now was acknowledged the presence of the Red Death. He had come like a thief in the night. And one by one dropped the revellers in the blood-bedewed halls of their revel, and died each in the despairing posture of his fall. And the life of the ebony clock went out with that of the last of the gay. And the flames of the tripods expired. And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all."

Poe was obviously obsessively focused on death and tragedy MUCH MORE than average souls. It’s no coincidence that we wait, to this day! (holding one arm up) for his plague, peril, death, and destruction to actually materialize. Humans are an optimistic lot; see Crown, ‘15.

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Though he himself may have been done in by a raccoon.  

We've seen Beatles shows, and we've seen Edgar Allan Poe shows.

Maybe it's time for a drum corps mashup.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i highly dout they will give refunds, they don't know and make cancelling a pain

I wasn’t suggesting that they should offer anyone a refund. Flo’s revenue stream is about to dry up pretty soon since there’s literally no reason for anyone to renew their subscription. With no new money coming in, I can’t see them surviving much longer.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The virus was everywhere in Europe (and elsewhere) but the Allies and the Central Powers, being at war with one another, were censoring journalism to prevent reporters from telling the world how bad the epidemic was in their respective countries. Better that people get the flu than morale go down, you see. Mustn't alarm the public.

Just like now. Better to silence doctors trying to warn the world. Better to deny any outbreak for multiple weeks. Better to deny any help from the free world that could help everyone. Better to influence the WHO to deny it’s a pandemic. Better to keep allowing your citizens to fly all over the world while your outbreak is happening. Better to attempt to claim, comically, that another country started it and sent it over to yours. Better to call the name of it racist. Better to kill lots of people. All to protect your ruling Peoples Party. 

Am I doing this right?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If the famous actor's comments were relevant to a discussion here, sure.

But we can make this less hypothetical:

Just two days ago, a reasonably famous actor (or so I'm told; I'd heard her name before but couldn't tell you what she's done) complained that all the government-imposed shutdowns were an overreaction, and she was roundly criticized by others for doing so. Then yesterday, a member of Congress said pretty much the same thing. His comment got less attention, although I saw a few people comparing the two remarks.

If in the course of this discussion here on whether DCI will be shut down due to coronavirus, Jeff pointed to the actor's comment as an example of how, in his opinion, some people have their heads in the sand on this issue, you'd say: not political.

But if Jeff instead pointed to the very similar politician's comment to make the same point, you'd say: political! verboten!

For the sake of comity, I get why DCP would find it necessary to make the distinction.

It's still silly.

vanessa-hudgens-getty-2.jpg

i prefer if you just leave me out of it

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

They do have Royals

for now. maybe not til 2021

Mod hat here:

Please re-read what you have written before submitting your post, and make sure it is politics-free, even just a little. There have been some posts skirting the line, on either side.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i prefer if you just leave me out of it

59 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat here:

Please re-read what you have written before submitting your post, and make sure it is politics-free, even just a little. There have been some posts skirting the line, on either side.

Thanks.

Bravo!  I love the bold blood red!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2