Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

39 minutes ago, BWise said:

So .. I’m going to take a hiatus from The Planet.  In many ways art mimics reality .. and DCI/DCP seems to mirror our society right now.  Everyone knows everything, say what you want, if it’s a lie repeat it until it’s true. And this should be fun and it’s not.  Simple human discourse can not happen here. 
I came here originally to have the latest scoop on Crown and what their program had going. This rarely happens here as this has become a media platform that I believe is used intentionally by certain corps to create false hype, stir pots and promote one thing .. their corps opinions which become untethered. 

I love the show .. I’m a Friend of DCI .. support Crown Jewels and hope for a better day for both DCP and DCI. 
Like many things these days .. a few people can really ruin a great thing. Bad behavior emboldens more bad behavior.  Unfortunately in desperation to win, people lose touch with reality and behind an anonymous mask say things I hope they never would in person.  Maybe I’m the drama (I use my real name) .. but I’m guessing most of us maybe marched DCI 30-40 years ago, marched band, are parents of DCI kids, are instructors, or really have no connection but we aren’t really the experts we claim on modern DCI. 
So .. CROWN ALL THE WAY … I know they can!

Carolina In My Mind 

We will certainly miss you but I completely understand and have been feeling the same way. I am starting to see a pattern of some “adults” in this site. They post things to stir the pot and make fun of Corps with unfounded evidence. What hurts me the most is that I love the corps they support, but are giving it such a bad rep. I hate when adults display such a sophomoric behavior. I will probably step away from here as way and continue to support the corps and DCI in other platforms. I hope you keep in touch and thank you for supporting the performing arts!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, BWise said:

So .. I’m going to take a hiatus from The Planet.  In many ways art mimics reality .. and DCI/DCP seems to mirror our society right now.  Everyone knows everything, say what you want, if it’s a lie repeat it until it’s true. And this should be fun and it’s not.  Simple human discourse can not happen here. 
I came here originally to have the latest scoop on Crown and what their program had going. This rarely happens here as this has become a media platform that I believe is used intentionally by certain corps to create false hype, stir pots and promote one thing .. their corps opinions which become untethered. 

I love the show .. I’m a Friend of DCI .. support Crown Jewels and hope for a better day for both DCP and DCI. 
Like many things these days .. a few people can really ruin a great thing. Bad behavior emboldens more bad behavior.  Unfortunately in desperation to win, people lose touch with reality and behind an anonymous mask say things I hope they never would in person.  Maybe I’m the drama (I use my real name) .. but I’m guessing most of us maybe marched DCI 30-40 years ago, marched band, are parents of DCI kids, are instructors, or really have no connection but we aren’t really the experts we claim on modern DCI. 

Carolina In My Mind 

I, too, took a break several years ago. I think it lasted several seasons. But, in the end, I couldn't stay away from the activity.

It's not just DCP. I just browsed the comments to DCI's post of the results on Facebook. The same stuff going on over there, too, but without DCP's language and moderation controls.

I will miss your comments. Be safe!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, wigwam said:

I wonder if member illness is affecting their ability to clean?   If members are getting Covid, how are they going to prevent everyone from catching it.  They ride on buses and live in close quarters, I would think if any of them catch it, it would spread uncontrollably.   I’m sure all corps are having the same problem this year.   

I think the put the Covid “kids” in a passenger van, not on the buses.

• Thanks 1

Can't you just mute people you don't like? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BWise said:

Carolina In My Mind 

I’m sorry to see anyone go but I understand.  A lot of good people have already left and, as such, those without regard for other human beings remain and become a larger and larger percentage of the DCP populace.  

All that said, I don’t think the corps themselves (members, staff, etc.) are driving much if any of this behavior.  That may not have been what you meant but I just wanted to clarify.  Some are alumni but they are only hurting their alma maters by acting this way.  Some have never even been in a corps, but  have simply parasitically attached themselves to a winning corps (in whose success they played no role) so they can taunt and demean others and derive some kind twisted sense of superiority.  

I don’t know what drives such people.  You have to wonder about someone who comes here just to say they are looking forward to another corps losing, making their fans cry, etc. (or all the people that “like” their post) but I try to remember they may be deeply unhappy in some way, may have been hurt in the past, etc., and just feel sorry for them and try to encourage whatever good they have inside (there is often plenty).  But it isn’t easy.  The negativity can really be overwhelming.  

P.S.  50% chance some nimrod will react with a laughter emoji to this post.  

P.P.S.  Nimrod is one my many favorites of things Crown played.

• Thanks 4

56 minutes ago, KPinCAL said:

Not quite.  There is an ignore feature but then DCP tells you every time an ignored member posts something and asks you if you want to read it anyway, which has the effect of calling even more attention to them.  

Also, I’m not sure but it may not prevent their comments from showing up when others quote them.  And in any case it can lead to confusion because people will be talking about posts you didn’t see.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KPinCAL said:

Or just keep scrolling. It's very simple to do and makes DCP very enjoyable. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I've ever ignored anyone on DCP other than myself. I don't like the sound of my voice online. I sound old and grumpy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

It's not just DCP. I just browsed the comments to DCI's post of the results on Facebook. The same stuff going on over there, too, but without DCP's language and moderation controls.

Where do you see that? The comments are overwhelmingly pro-Crown from what I can see, esp regarding the brass scores

• Like 1