Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

20 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

To paraphrase Dorothy Parker, “They run the gamut from A to B”. 

Diversity is an issue for the entire drum corps community.  If you look around at most drum corps staff's this is a weak point.  With that in mind, I really like the additions to the staff in design, visual, percussion, and color guard, and hope that 2022 is an fantastic year that ends with medaling.  

• Sad 1

I will give Crown credit for recently adding some people of color to their BOD. It’s a start, I guess. Next up, I would like to see more women. No excuses there. There are an abundance of qualified women in the activity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Wow - separate camp and tour food managers?  

Mike

They probably have different work times for their regulaf jobs. One can take off weekends and is near where they practice, the other is probably a school teacher or another job where he can take the summer off.. I don't know but it is my educated guess

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:51 AM, B-Flat said:

Diversity is an issue for the entire drum corps community.  If you look around at most drum corps staff's this is a weak point.  With that in mind, I really like the additions to the staff in design, visual, percussion, and color guard, and hope that 2022 is an fantastic year that ends with medaling.  

As a person who people identify as a person of color(?) I don't think there really is a problem with diversity in DCI. I think its just is what it is.  The(people of color) community in my opinion aren't  interested in DCI style. They prefer showband style( HBCU). There is even a comedian that joked about white bands, which thought it was offensive. I appreciate all types of musical styles. I hope DCI doesn't cave into the crap, and select people based on qualifications as they should. DCI is my preferred marching style, and I enjoy HBCU when I want to get my jam on. 

Anyway, Good Luck Crown on your 2022 season. Praying for a great successfull one. Stay prayed up. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, rchitectburd23BD01 said:

As a person who people identify as a person of color(?) I don't think there really is a problem with diversity in DCI. I think its just is what it is.  The(people of color) community in my opinion aren't  interested in DCI style. They prefer showband style( HBCU). There is even a comedian that joked about white bands, which thought it was offensive. I appreciate all types of musical styles. I hope DCI doesn't cave into the crap, and select people based on qualifications as they should. DCI is my preferred marching style, and I enjoy HBCU when I want to get my jam on. 

Anyway, Good Luck Crown on your 2022 season. Praying for a great successfull one. Stay prayed up. 

It isn't crap. It's the reality of having representation for MANY different demographic groups within an organization. Just like gay people want representation, and they SHOULD, there's nothing wrong with other minority groups wanting the same. 

I hope DCI DOES fall into this "crap," as it gets tiresome when looking at staff members of many organizations, and they only fall into one demographic. That NEEDS to change. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, rchitectburd23BD01 said:

You think that comedy routine by Rickey Smiley is offensive?  🤔🙄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:51 AM, B-Flat said:

I would agree as far as the makeup of the staff in most corps. That being said, we DO have to acknowledge that we may not be privy to who is applying for open staffing positions. I have found myself on both ends of the discussion in my career in ye' old corporate America. Staff the people who can perform the stated job best regardless of race, gender, etc. Attempt to attract diversity by way of education and inclusion. 

I work for a company which hires from within almost exclusively. In some cases, it helps because the connection from person to person is already established and working relationships already built. On the other hand, it stagnates us in practices because they are so ingrained and passed down from person to person. 

7 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

It isn't crap. It's the reality of having representation for MANY different demographic groups within an organization. Just like gay people want representation, and they SHOULD, there's nothing wrong with other minority groups wanting the same. 

I hope DCI DOES fall into this "crap," as it gets tiresome when looking at staff members of many organizations, and they only fall into one demographic. That NEEDS to change. 

I think you and rch make valuable points that could be the basis for an interesting and productive conversation …

…that would likely get the thread shut down before any real progress is made.  

Edited by skevinp

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

I think you and rch make valuable points that could be the basis for an interesting and productive conversation …

…that would likely get shut down before any real progress is made.  

Then discussions should continue to be had and actions taken until progress IS made. 

Regardless, I'm not here to hijack this thread. I am hoping Crown puts out another quality product so I can scream my head off. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 3