2022 Season Predictions

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

You're better than me! Even if someone left their year-round job to spend more time with their corps, I don't see it transforming a brass line into another Ott worthy Crown sound alike > unless I'm missing something... 🤣

I think hell just froze over. I find myself agreeing with you on something, George.🤣

How does this mystery brass person not having a job in September, October, November, etc. make their corps into an Ott contender. Does the person at Crown, Devils or other contenders only work on corps stuff year round?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

You're better than me! Even if someone left their year-round job to spend more time with their corps, I don't see it transforming a brass line into another Ott worthy Crown sound alike > unless I'm missing something... 🤣

Very true. I read that person's post and though he could be correct about the instructor, people often make it seem like magic. Like somehow one music instructor can magically turn a brass line into an Ott winner. It just does not work that way.

If you listen to the best brass lines historically in the the DCI era (BD on many years, old Garfield up to Cadets 2015, Star, Crown, SCV and even some Phantom, Cavaliers and Madison years) you realize that while they did have fantastic instruction they also had super talent and a brass book constructed for that talent. It's never magic. It takes a lot of talent top to bottom, it takes the right constructions of the music book, it takes excellent teaching, and it takes a lot of coordination in how the music will work with the visual program.

There is also the natural rate at which musicians can improve in the course of 3 months (camp through tour). A typical high school junior or senior will only improve so much on their instrument depending on how much they play their instrument and whether or not they take private lessons. And that is over the course of an entire school year. Many corps do march HS kids. Even if they are good HS musicians there is a limit on how far they can go over 3 months. Many younger musicians simply have physical limitations in articulation, control, range, etc. Because of this the nature of the brass book has to be constructed for what the full ensemble can handle, and not just the top 10% of musicians in the corps.

The notion that someone can come in and turn those kids into pro-level concert artists or get them closer to corps who are marching more music majors with high level experience and long years of lessons is akin to believing in some sort of "THINK" system (a la The Music Man) in which your approach over the course of 3 months will work magic. 

All of this speaks to why I have loved Drum & Bugle Corps  over the decades. I love that good instruction can bring the best out of these marching members and in some cases I believe the activity does work miracles for these kids. I love that. But there are real physical and musical limitations that no instructor can work around. They will make improvements for sure. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Point what out exactly? Not sure what the point of this point was 

Just trying to stir the pot and show that they “know” about something. A tale as old as time on DCP

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Just trying to stir the pot and show that they “know” about something. A tale as old as time on DCP

We getting that Beauty and the Beast show finally?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

We getting that Beauty and the Beast show finally?

For the love of everything pure and holy, PLEASE!!!

5 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

I don’t know… looking at DCI west (pre-Covid, was happening late June) BD was leading SCV by .95 in 2017 and trailing SCV by .65 in 2019. Both championship years, so this kind of spread over SCV (historically) is a great place to be for BD.

My point is that spread is not big enough (for SCV with an incomplete show and still be competitive), so Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders and Carolina Crown can overtake Blue Devils several times this season. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

Are there any predictions in this thread? LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1