Santa Clara Vanguard 2022

14 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

The show is so clearly modeled on 2018/2019, with a talented group of MM’s, that I dunno about that! 

For one thing, it’s arguably got a more coherent theme (Nirvana — transcendent state in Buddhism, and also the name of a legendary rock band, hence a show with Indian flair and a Nirvana song).  The visual design and body movement all pick up on strands of that; the inclusion of Nirvana’s music is clever and used throughout; and their marching technique is already pretty beautiful for June… Drumline speaks for itself. Once the hornline gets some power, I think it’ll really be clear that this year’s program is not to be underestimated.

My thoughts exactly. My feelings remind me a lot of how I felt in 2018 early season. This show, like that show, has the makings of being a beast.

Last year's show, IMO, was so problematic, from the color palette to the pacing of the music. The corps proper got lost in the field with the grey uniforms and those tarps didn't work because they hid the corps. Colors were all wrong. The pacing of the show, aside from the ballad, was basically all mid-tempo. The 2019 show was the misfire. The 2022 show is a return to 2017-2018 form. 

They will contend. Certainly.

3 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

My thoughts exactly. My feelings remind me a lot of how I felt in 2018 early season. This show, like that show, has the makings of being a beast.

Last year's show, IMO, was so problematic, from the color palette to the pacing of the music. The corps proper got lost in the field with the grey uniforms and those tarps didn't work because they hid the corps. Colors were all wrong. The pacing of the show, aside from the ballad, was basically all mid-tempo. The 2019 show was the misfire. The 2022 show is a return to 2017-2018 form. 

They will contend. Certainly.

Yeah. I like 2019 more than other people — musically, it’s ambitious and different for drum corps; it’s better than 2017 to me — but it’s simply worth remembering that the show medaled at 3rd place.

So if that’s them on a problematic year, and 2022 is a better show………..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lyndakay27 said:

I wonder if there will be something else going over those uniforms. Bright sash...something.

Nah. Not really how design works these days.

This show has good potential, but they're coming out of the gate a little slower than many thought. 

I look forward to seeing a finished product.

28 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

This show has good potential, but they're coming out of the gate a little slower than many thought. 

I look forward to seeing a finished product.

I hope.  I was looking so forward to what they would do after 2018.  I am still looking forward to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndakay27 said:

I wonder if there will be something else going over those uniforms. Bright sash...something.

I think the top of the uniform tries to emulate a traditional tunic style used in far eastern cultures – associated with the origins of meditation.  You see the corps in a meditation pose at the beginning of the show. 

However, the tunic seems too short.  A longer tunic would have helped the visual.   

mens-embroidered-tunic-237138_grande.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For anyone thinking that edgy power from the brass isn’t there this summer…wrong.  It’s still there…just not needed yet which makes the potential of this scary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1