Winning at all costs

1 hour ago, Big Bird said:

BD is also the most popular drum corps in the world by far. Just because their fans aren’t as loud as other corps fans doesn’t mean they don’t have any. I have never seen a BD show where fans sit on their hands, even in the most eccentric years. The idea that BD is some weird, esoteric corps that no one likes or finds engaging is absurd. The ABBD crowd is a small fraction of drum corps fans, they just tend to be very vocal about it

I think what makes the ABBD crowd look so big, is that they jump on the bandwagon and blend in with whatever corps has the best chance to beat BD come August. By the time we get to finals day, that particular corps fanbase appears to have a overwhelming presence, making BDs fanbase fail in comparison.

When finals is over, the ABBD crowd shrinks back to whatever hole they crawled out from, until next year's finals............rinse and repeat.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I’m old enough to remember how much more fun (for everyone involved) a drum corps show really was.  The melody we could latch on to. A lasting individual personality and appearance of each team. The natural, big brass sound. Formal movement into various forms done to perfection. Spontaneous standing ovations throughout the production.

Of course, we still get some of that. Just not enough for my taste.  Oh, well. 

I’m not impressed by scattered running from one standstill into another. That’s what we always accepted comically from the Princeton Band, but DCI?

Fred, I humbly agree. I was a fan from 1945 to 2000, annual Allentown attendee from 70's to a few years ago. I think it's great that there are still corps and fans, but my one show a year is the Profiles show in York. BTW, I played in the Lehigh band in the 50's, so I saw well-intentioned scramble bands like Princeton and Columbia. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Big Bird said:

It’s 100% just baiting. Big Crown fan makes post about corps only caring about winning and not audience engagement the night after many people on this forum said it’s a two horse race between BD and BC

You guys give me way too much credit. I’m blushing ☺️ 

Seriously though, no baiting. Just curious to start a discussion and see where it leads. Crown hasn’t even been judged yet, and none of us knows how that is going to turn out. 

But since we’re on the topic, how many times did corps get standing ovations last night? Any get standing O’s in the middle of shows? For those that were there, how well did you think the corps connected with the crowd? Some of the answers will be subjective. All that said, none of us have the same tastes, everyone is different, but good drum corps shows elicit emotions and reactions from the crowd.

Anyway, I stirred the pot, and that’s not a bad thing. 

2 hours ago, Dick H said:

Fred, I humbly agree. I was a fan from 1945 to 2000, annual Allentown attendee from 70's to a few years ago. I think it's great that there are still corps and fans, but my one show a year is the Profiles show in York. BTW, I played in the Lehigh band in the 50's, so I saw well-intentioned scramble bands like Princeton and Columbia. 

Wow!

You’ve been around a long time, fella. Your continued interest in bands/drum corps is much appreciated. Saw my first Lehigh football game in 1963. Now, live across the street from Goodman campus and can hear the Marching ‘97 practice when stepping outside my home.

Fred (age 71)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

You guys give me way too much credit. I’m blushing ☺️ 

Seriously though, no baiting. Just curious to start a discussion and see where it leads. Crown hasn’t even been judged yet, and none of us knows how that is going to turn out. 

But since we’re on the topic, how many times did corps get standing ovations last night? Any get standing O’s in the middle of shows? For those that were there, how well did you think the corps connected with the crowd? Some of the answers will be subjective. All that said, none of us have the same tastes, everyone is different, but good drum corps shows elicit emotions and reactions from the crowd.

Anyway, I stirred the pot, and that’s not a bad thing. 

To answer, since I was there, there were no standing Os in mid show, other than me, ( and a few others) and that happened a few times with various corps. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Respectfully disagree. I say keep on pushing. The envelope just keeps on getting bigger, and I’m fine with that. 

We can certainly agree to disagree but let me ask you this… Would you want to see the Chicago symphony ad a rock drum set bass guitar and electric guitars to their concerts? Should baseball start using a soccer ball instead of a baseball? At what point does the activity not even resemble anything from the past? If they want to do the stage productions create a new activity don’t change a great activity 😊

• Like 1