Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

25 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

That's how I am. I appreciate dynasties. I am a 49ers fan. Seattle Seahawks have had our number since 2012. Seattle can talk that noise when it comes to the Niners. If we don't like it, then we need to beat them consistently to shut them up. Until then Seattle and their fanbase can say whatever they want about us. 

I am not the biggest Cam Newton fan, but he said something i totally agree with................

Some reporter asked Cam about NFL Defenders taking exception to his Superman pose every time he scores a TD. Cam's response was "If they don't like me doing it, then keep me out of the endzone."

Straight facts. 

Ah, but Emmitt Smith used to tell Cowboys rookie RBs, "When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before". 

Something to be said for both pieces of advice. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Ah, but Emmitt Smith used to tell Cowboys rookie RBs, "When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before". 

Something to be said for both pieces of advice. 

Can't argue that at all. 

Personally, I always respected Barry Sanders who would just give the ball to the refs. Barry never celebrated, and I thought that was cool. 

I just agreed with Cam saying if you don't like it, than stop me from doing it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crownisking said:

Hot take here. I really wish we went back to the 2021 tour model and did away with shows being judged. I hate stressing over scores, placements, spreads, etc. I don’t want to feel like any corps is the “enemy”. Last summer we were all just enjoying some really good shows. That’s it. There wasn’t the typical animosity. 

Different topic for a different thread, but that’s why I never refer to the marching arts as a sport. I hate the competition aspect of it.  I hate what it brings out of us. 

That’s why I always like drum corps more when the season is over. Much more enjoyable watching/listening when all the judging is done. I take my experiences from attending finals and use them when replaying the season.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Can't argue that at all. 

Personally, I always respected Barry Sanders who would just give the ball to the refs. Barry never celebrated, and I thought that was cool. 

I just agreed with Cam saying if you don't like it, than stop me from doing it. 

People can even get mad at a professional and their excellence even if they’re the most dignified and respectful in how they go about it, but usually once they’re gone and retiring they are looked at more fondly ‘cause they went about it the “right way”. I’m also a proponent of going and doing things the “right way”, but BD faces two problems, they can’t really “retire” in the traditional sense, and their reign at this point is longer lasting than any player or dynasty has ever been. Probably the most accurate comparison for them in sports is Real Madrid, the Patriots and/or Tom Brady when it comes to players. Ask any fan of soccer/football worldwide and Real Madrid is respected by many, but so so many fans hate them too, it’s just always rough vibes in sport. 😬😂

One more tidbit here: as many loyal and outside observers already know in other arenas, the organizations that are deemed as the sporting “royalty” of their respective sport, there is just lots of hate to go around, “Real” for Real Madrid literally means “royal” in Spanish, and the distinction of sporting royalty to these organizations is rarely relinquished as they are perpetually successful, the Blue Devils are undoubtedly one of the Royals of DCI, if not the Royal, other corps also are candidates for the royal court, but then again that still makes people upset even if more names are included as people want as many corps as possible to find success which is always understandable.

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

Agreed.  Those type of comments are just flat out ridiculous and/or naïve.

Regarding success breeding hate - for sure a real thing.  Happens all the time in any activity.  See: Duke basketball, Christian Laettner (see the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary entitled “I Hate Christian Laettner” of all things), New England Patriots, Tom Brady, Avon and Carmel HS in BOA, Yankees, Derek Jeter, Chicago Bulls of the 90s, Michael Jordan, LA Lakers dynasties, Lebron James, Boston Celtics dynasty, UCLA basketball in the John Wooden era, etc., etc., etc.  The better the group/team/player, the more the hatred escalates.

I never buy into the concept of hating any group/person because they are that good - I am always amazed at how they can be that good for that long instead.

Some of those examples take all of the criticism of their dynasties in stride (Wooden, Avon, etc). Others take it and get consumed by the a persecution complex (like Jordan). It's up to BD associates and fans to determine which life they prefer. I know what I would chose. 

Edited by mingusmonk

1 minute ago, TenHut said:

What as the attendance looked like at these scorching events? Full stands? 

Broken Arrow looked to be pretty well packed in. 20 to 20 yard lines looked like to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TenHut said:

What as the attendance looked like at these scorching events? Full stands? 

Denton has had to open up previously unopened sections that weren’t for sale originally even further into the periphery of the sidelines as the demand was that high, people are coming out despite the heat I have no doubt.

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Obviously I can't and won't speak for EVERY BD Honk. But I feel comfortable speaking for the majority of us. 

The problem isn't people not liking BD, or not liking the show design etc. That's fine. We like what we like. Most BD fans have zero issue with that. 

The problem is the people (NOT EVERYONE) that come here and regurgitate the same nonsense of BD cheating, paying off judges, having judges on the payroll, BD robbing corps of wins, and in the last 15 years have never produced a single shred of evidence and proof that BD is cheating. That's the problem. 

ABBD crowd says BDs shows are rinse and repeat, well so is the same crap they spew after every BD win. 

Regarding success breeding hate.........in a way it does. Take college football for instance.............

Let an Idaho University football fan take to social media and say some disrespectful things, yea it will get some negativity, but most people won't even care or look the other way. Cause currently Idaho University isn't a threat to anyone on the college football landscape. Heck most people probably don't even know the Idaho Vandals has a team lol.

However, let an Alabama Crimson Tide fan say the exact same things the Idaho fan said. That Alabama fan will have ignited an epic firestorm across social media of biblical proportions. Even though they said the same things, the difference is Alabama wins all the time, and people want to see them fail. And if the haters can't get the team to lose, they will look for anything the fanbase says and hold the team and school accountable. 

it's life.

Bama has been accused of getting political favors. Same as the Yankees, Notre Dame, any team Tom Brady is with, the Cowboys, Duke in basketball (...well ok they did get away with murder)...welcome to the top. Remember Crown was the darling, then they won...and then it became ok for people to bag on them too. Bloo to a degree as well, and SCV since 18. But BD, being there year in and year out...well.....it happens. And people will come up with whatever excuse they can think of for bashing, factual or not. Usually my only complaint is Chumley is a guaranteed 20 finals week. I once did the research to back it up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's life.

Bama has been accused of getting political favors. Same as the Yankees, Notre Dame, any team Tom Brady is with, the Cowboys, Duke in basketball (...well ok they did get away with murder)...welcome to the top. Remember Crown was the darling, then they won...and then it became ok for people to bag on them too. Bloo to a degree as well, and SCV since 18. But BD, being there year in and year out...well.....it happens. And people will come up with whatever excuse they can think of for bashing, factual or not. Usually my only complaint is Chumley is a guaranteed 20 finals week. I once did the research to back it up

If we’re giving 20’s for the in the GE and visual captions, best design of the year and so forth, give them in music as well and actually make there be a spread in those captions as well as the music captions deal with a considerable amount of compression at the top, only way I see these issues being fixed, even though getting a 20, 19.9, 19.85. 19.8 is considered to be more of a coveted rarity in the music captions compared to the others