Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

Go Cavies!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Do judges sometimes get it wrong? Absolutely. Do fans understand judging and scoring more than judges do? Not a chance. They’re not booing Blue Devils for placing in the lower end of box 5 in brass content. They’re booing because their favorite corps didn’t win.

Seriously, when people start complaining about which corps won, I want to know which judge they disagree with, if they disagree with the content, achievement, or both, which box placement it should’ve received, and where it should’ve fallen within that box.

When I get a “huh?” response, my point will have been made.

There are people who think Crown should be ranked 1st right now and have grounded arguments about why that is. However, “that’s why the crowd reacts the way they do” isn’t a good argument about scoring drum corps. We could hold these competitions on the west coast and you’d hear very different crowd reactions.

Honestly we are going to have to agree to disagree.  

I have been to the San Antonio regional and I will say that I did not see any bias towards/against any corps except for the Texas based corps.  As far as a crown crowd favorite situation,  Fort Mill SC is just about as far away from San Antonio Texas as Concord CA is so I’m not sure were you are getting that one from 🙄

• Like 2

6 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Wait a minute.  Do you know something?  Did he have a VIP pass or I was thinking he might be in a suite?

I was sent stuff by multiple folks tied to multiple organizations 

• Sad 2

The more I see the Mandarins Tron show, the more I like it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love this Mandarins show and their shows from preceding years. Several posters have mentioned their programs are BD-ish, which I don’t see. They go very deep on a dark evocative story-theme. Maybe in the emphasis on MMs taking on a definite character, or specific aspects of color guard book? Whatever they are doing it is working for them and they have a unique identity. 

• Like 3

Cavaliers and Mandarins both are my Jekyll and Hyde corps. Don't care for either one night, really like them the next.

Just between last night and today's replay, I got from I didn't particularly care for that to, good, grief. how did I not see/hear that? That was pretty dang good. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mikah said:

Lewisville is a big no-no. 🤣  Founded in 1778, Louisville was named after the King of France, Louis the 16th.  So, Louie-ville is an acceptable pronunciation, but the locals pronounce it either loo-a-ville or loo-a-vul.

A musician friend of mine who was born and raised in Louisville taught us the correct pronunciation was lul-a-vul with the first syllable given an almost Elvis-like drawl and the second syllable only hinted at. At least that's what he said.

The highlight to our annual trip to Indy is driving through Louisville and trying to duplicate his pronunciation.

We now return to our regular topic programming -- if we can figure out what it was. 

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Haha 1