AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

40 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Yes, and orgs and staff cannot be trusted and left to their own devices to do this anymore. They are not worthy of our trust... yet. But I have high hopes. Only fans and alum together can amp this enough for the institutions to feel enough pressure and act on their morals and ethics.

To be clear, we can't put this on MMs either. Although, if they had capacity and were well-informed, they have the greatest capacity for impact. I'd like to think that current MMs of SC would back me up, but I'm so exiled from the org that I have no idea if they even know I still exist... and am leveraging all tools available to me on the outside to make sure they're safe and happy. Isn't that what every alum could/should be doing in their own way? This is mine.

Hell, you have a survivor in this thread PLEADING for change and still, there's push back. We have a long way to go. If you weren't touched by abuse/neglect in the activity and don't have anything constructive to say about fixing these major issues, I'm sorry, but you're not helping. Many people have politely excused themselves from this conversation for that reason, I assume. I respect that.

Also, some people in this thread are either playing devil's advocate (which I respect) or defending his supposed freedom to attend (which I don't.) Careful. You never know when survivors are watching and waiting for the right signs to feel validated enough to come forward. My expertise, experience, conviction and words put me on the right side of that equation. What about (universal) you?

The problem is that if these conversations are happening in corps and DCI, they aren't transparent. When I look at staff rosters, I don't see the skillsets needed to tackle this problem, period. I only see people who never left drum corps, trying to keep it exactly the way it's always been. Until they that changes, we have to assume the work isn't happening based on the outcomes.

yup.  all of this.  heck, some corps dont even have all their staff listed on their web pages. sure, might be a volunteer web master that hasn't gotten to updating it yet, but seriously, why send a student to this activity when you see the same mistakes made repeatedly?   I find it hard to send students to drum corps now, when there are so many other options for the same cost (or often much less), with better housecleaning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

9 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Jeez...and I know i'm responding but my gosh...GH topic again has taken over this forum. It was a nice break for a while but he's back...and during drumcorp season. Enough!!!

IT'S ONE THREAD.  Numerous other topics from which to choose.  

"I've told you a million times not to exaggerate."  :spitting:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Jeez...and I know i'm responding but my gosh...GH topic again has taken over this forum. It was a nice break for a while but he's back...and during drumcorp season. Enough!!!

I don't like it either but the dark truths have got to be able to coexist with the stellar experiences we all know and love. That is the beginning of healing.

That said, I don't know of a less invasive way of having these dialogues. DCI and orgs have kettled us, leaving few other means of making change. That's on them, not us.

Don't worry, I'll be in the other threads cheering the MMs on. I promise both can exist. If I've been able to endure this cognitive dissonance for two decades, the rest of the fan and alumni base can too, promise!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Also, some people in this thread are either playing devil's advocate (which I respect) or defending his supposed freedom to attend (which I don't.) Careful. You never know when survivors are watching and waiting for the right signs to feel validated enough to come forward. My expertise, experience, conviction and words put me on the right side of that equation. What about (universal) you?

Let me clarify this for you: a) no one is playing devil's advocate and no one is defending him, and b) you mentioned his "supposed freedom" above and that is a falsehood. He is a free man and he does have rights. That is the law of the land. This is not opinion. It is fact.

I know you don't like that and I doubt anyone else does, but you seem to be assuming the laws do not apply to him...but they do. Like it or not he is a free man and is protected by the same laws you and I are. I don't like it and wish they could have locked him up for what he did but it didn't happen. You seem to assume we are fighting back against your concerns and nothing further could be true. Some of us are simply presenting this more from a legal standpoint because if DCI is to take further measures they will have to use the same insight. They may need legal council. 

I assume they have already taken measures to make sure he can never be a part of any DCI ensemble in any way shape or form. I would hope they have done this. Beyond that when it comes to attending DCI shows, which has been the greater part of this thread, I think everyone is bringing up excellent points and I do think we should put some pressure on DCI to ban him from shows. Some of us are simply pointing out the legal issues that could arise. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

Let me clarify this for you: a) no one is playing devil's advocate and no one is defending him, and b) you mentioned his "supposed freedom" above and that is a falsehood. He is a free man and he does have rights. That is the law of the land. This is not opinion. It is fact.

I know you don't like that and I doubt anyone else does, but you seem to be assuming the laws do not apply to him but they do. Like it or not he is a free man and is protected by the same laws you and I are. I don't like it and wish they could have locked him up for what he did but it didn't happen. You seem to assume we are fighting back against your concerns and nothing further could be true. Some of us are simply presenting this more from a legal standpoint because if DCI is to take further measures they will have to use the same insight. They may need legal council. 

I assume they have already taken measures to make sure he can never be a part of any DCI ensemble in any way shape or form. I would hope they have done this. Beyond that when it comes to attending DCI shows, which has been the greater part of this thread, I think everyone is bringing up excellent points and I do think we should put some pressure on DCI to ban him from shows. Some of us are simply pointing out the legal issues that could arise. 

Especially if you would have fear or suspicion that the guy could go ahead and sue the whole organization and damage the activity even further if his exclusion from events isn’t done in the correct way legally. the law can definitely swing the entire opposite way and target the event organizer, sponsors, DCI, if it’s not handled correctly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I know you don't like that and I doubt anyone else does, but you seem to be assuming the laws do not apply to him...but they do. Like it or not he is a free man and is protected by the same laws you and I are. I don't like it and wish they could have locked him up for what he did but it didn't happen. You seem to assume we are fighting back against your concerns and nothing further could be true. Some of us are simply presenting this more from a legal standpoint because if DCI is to take further measures they will have to use the same insight. They may need legal council. 

I support the vast majority of your comment.

When I say "supposed" freedom... I'm talking about his "freedom" to attend without backlash or pushback from the community. Freedom means a lot of different things to different people in a variety of contexts.

The legal system, while incredibly relevant here, is not the only player.

• Like 4