Staff Merry-go-round

I've waited for the smoke to clear before revisiting this thread. And the following is the myopic viewpoint of a Cavaliers Fan/Dad...

• I was very sorry to see Kevin LeBoeuf and Drew Dickey leave the Cavaliers staff. Both fine gents and educators, but just great "guys" too. I selfishly wanted to see where the "three year plan" that started in 2018 and 2019 really was going to end up, because I had a hunch it would end up with a Jim Ott award. But with COVID in 20, short season in 21, legacy personnel in the new system aging out and moving on, and 100 new Cavaliers on the field in 22, we didn't get to see it. And now we never will. (Sniff)

• That said, after having time to let my head examine the incoming team at Cavaliers and let my heart get over the prior one, I wouldn't mark down 2023 as a "step back" year for my Cavaliers. While David Starnes doesn't know me...I know him by way of my brother who worked with him years ago, I believe at Southwind (but could be mistaken). The bonafides of Richard Saucedo require no poetic waxing, either. Add in the carryover in percussion staff, and a new visual team centerred in Crusaders and Pride of Cincinatti influences...and a Co-Brass Caption Manager in Matt "Gameboy" Owen, I see many reasons to be optimistic. Matt may be a tad unconventional...but to a man, those guys in green would run through a brick wall for him. I don't know Keith Tye, but I can read. Some people are already speculating if Cavaliers will even make Finals next year. I'll take C-note bets from all comers. 

• With respect to Bluecoats in conjunction with the first bullet...the rich just got richer by adding Kevin and Drew. An already amazing brass line will get even better...you can bank on it. I also have some interfamily DCI history here in that Derek Gipson worked with my brother a gazillion years ago, and Patrick Geren was my brother's high school student. Dave Henry and I chuckled a little when my son got cut in 2017 for Bluecoats (still a crazy story...enterred into last day of final camp well up the line in "music" and got cut by visual staff on the last day of auditions) and then went on to be a lead Baritone with Cavaliers his first DCI year...and...yes you know...was on the field when Cavaliers ran down Bluecoats on the very last night of the season in 2017. I love both organizations, but my son went on to flourish with the Cavaliers and ended up a Drum Major in 2019-2021 including help usher the membership through the COVID years...everything happens for a reason. That kid would bleed green if you cut him. No pun intended. 

•  I don't have any personal connection to the other moves, but it looks like Phantom is moving and shaking, and I'm delighted to see Joe Roach as the Corps Director for Crown. Joe was on staff with Cavaliers when I volunteered in summer of 2017...I was on a "walking program" to "lose fifty pounds by football" that summer. And every morning I was out walking on tour before the day started, Joe was always there at breakfast, etc. with a word of encouragement. You understand the decency of people by their actions way more than their words. Joe is plain and simple one of the good guys. 

Who knows what these and all the other changes will mean in 2023...I surely don't...but I remain hopeful for the activity as it continues to grow, address its concerns, and build on its strengths.  

Edited by PopcornEater1963
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I've waited for the smoke to clear before revisiting this thread. And the following is the myopic viewpoint of a Cavaliers Fan/Dad...

• I was very sorry to see Kevin LeBoeuf and Drew Dickey.  

Glad to hear that Drew Dickey was a valued staff member. I've learned he's landed on the west coast (not BD or SCV) with another former Cavaliers staff member.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 9:40 PM, Metalbinky said:

I wonder if Hartwell and Co. take bent knee technique to Phantom.... bent knee kick halt?  

I've heard that Phantom is going to march bent leg this year.  We'll see if the rumors hold true after the first camp, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Metalbinky said:

Glad to hear that Drew Dickey was a valued staff member. I've learned he's landed on the west coast (not BD or SCV) with another former Cavaliers staff member.

Not sure why they haven't announced yet, but those are good moves for the Cali corps that picked them up.

Re: Cavaliers, obviously there were bigger issues behind the scenes with the staff (with the exception of the perc guys, who kept their heads down and just did the work). Looking at the resumes of who's coming in, the level of age and experience, and the 'no drama' history they bring to the table should provide a solid basis for the newbies on the guard team to figure it out, and you'd have to believe that Saucedo is getting who he wants to get the sound out of the horns that he imagines (same as Martin did with LaBoeuf). They'll be fine.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, keystone3ply said:

Wow this is fantastic. Joe Roche's energy will be a huge asset to Crown. I LOVE that guy. 

10 hours ago, supersop said:

https://cadets.org/cadets-announce-2023-design-team

Bocook, Beddis, Bilby, Whitlock, Saktig ... Murphy.

Great move, GREAT move by Cadets. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

• With respect to Bluecoats in conjunction with the first bullet...the rich just got richer by adding Kevin and Drew. An already amazing brass line will get even better...you can bank on it.

As has been referenced above, Drew did not end up at Bluecoats. 

https://bluecoats.com/staff

2 hours ago, Metalbinky said:

I've heard that Phantom is going to march bent leg this year.  We'll see if the rumors hold true after the first camp, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ugh

• Like 1