Staff Merry-go-round

16 hours ago, Euph74 said:

I have no idea why the partnership between this team and the corps had to end (or who actually initiated it), but it is still hard to fathom that the momentum and optimism achieved by the corps through 2019 could disintegrate so quickly. Time to rebuild (again). Hoping for the best.

Agreed, but clearly some element of the recipe disappeared between 2019 and 2022, and the show this past summer was simply not well conceived or designed, with the exception of the percussion caption, where they did what they could.

Probably unpopular opinion, I think they wasted an opportunity to do something really big and ballsy in 2021, to prep themselves for staying on the trajectory. Boston did that, and benefitted this year as a result. Oh well, hindsight etc etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Probably unpopular opinion, I think they wasted an opportunity to do something really big and ballsy in 2021, to prep themselves for staying on the trajectory. Boston did that, and benefitted this year as a result. Oh well, hindsight etc etc.

I get the logic behind this, and I've seen it a couple times on here. But I'm not so sure it mattered that much. They played, marched, and kept students engaged in 2021, though it may not have been as rigorous as a typical season. I'd say the bigger issues for 2022 were some visual design flaws and bad luck with covid. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Agreed, but clearly some element of the recipe disappeared between 2019 and 2022, and the show this past summer was simply not well conceived or designed, with the exception of the percussion caption, where they did what they could.

100% agree. Whatever the issues were with licensing did not help either, but regardless, the 2022 program was flawed and underwhelming conceptually, visually, and musically. Still would have preferred to keep the brass team involved Seemed to be a special group.

What should be positive about the new team is the ties between the caption lead and Saucedo as well as his ties to the Rhythm X organization, as there is a good bit of crossover with Rhythm X and the percussion instructional team. Thought they demonstrated a solid approach to brass and got good results with BK, especially for being a young team (Tye is younger than Leboeuf). Time will tell, hoping for the best for the boys and the org overall.

On 9/21/2022 at 4:53 PM, kdaddy said:

Likewise no mention of Adam Sage.

How can the "design team return" if two of the designers don't return? Or why only profile three of the designers if everyone is coming back? 

37 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

"Adam Sage and Michael James will be returning in 2023 in similar roles they’ve held for the past few years."

10 hours ago, jpaul said:

I believe at least some of the guard staff had ties to Diamante. Could be something going on there.

If Troopers are not re-hiring instructors based on a member abuse (to say the least) situation at one of their (the instructor's) other gigs, then good for Troopers.

Schopenhauer's law of entropy in action - put a spoonful of sewage in a bucket of wine and you get sewage. 

In other words, one instructor mistreating members at one guard taints the whole instructional staff at that guard.  And these individuals should not be hired to work elsewhere.  Maybe in future instructors will be more likely to speak up if they see questionable behavior in their midst.  Their future employability could be on the line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jpaul said:

I believe at least some of the guard staff had ties to Diamante. Could be something going on there.

https://pubhtml5.com/xada/gonk/Drum_Corps_International_50th_Anniversary_Program_Information/

Find the troopers page.... look at the design team.... hmmm...

5 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I get the logic behind this, and I've seen it a couple times on here. But I'm not so sure it mattered that much. They played, marched, and kept students engaged in 2021, though it may not have been as rigorous as a typical season. I'd say the bigger issues for 2022 were some visual design flaws and bad luck with covid. 

If they couldn't secure rights to the closer music, that would also tank the year considering what they ended up doing as the closer.

• Like 1