Staff Merry-go-round

6 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

I don't believe the 2022 percussion team was the problem at Crown.  If Crown had a stronger show design, the corps AND THEIR PERCUSSION would have benefitted...you can't answer every design question with "needs more fabric."   That stated...I don't think they would have replaced any of the top 3 this year.

I agree that this is a weird year to make a change. A change could've been argued for several of the seasons in the last decade, but not necessarily 2022.

According to my sources, the impetus here was that Hannum decided to retire. And rather than promote Travis and his guys, they apparently decided to move on entirely. Probably to get someone with more of a big name.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gbass598 said:

It was only 2016 when he was at Blue Stars last as I recall. I don't see any corps show design being that drastically different since then. 

They left the same time Bluecoats changed the activity.  I don't see how you dont see show design changes since then.  Electronic, movement based, choregraphed body, and less militaristic uniforms being done more than marching and playing.  I dont have a problem with either but since 2016 we have definitely changed.

1 hour ago, old skool drmmr said:

According to my sources, the impetus here was that Hannum decided to retire. And rather than promote Travis and his guys, they apparently decided to move on entirely. Probably to get someone with more of a big name.

Hope it wasn’t a mistake.  Compared to the caption heads and arrangers in corps ahead of Crown, Travis is young.  Someday, I expect he will be the next Rennick or McNutt.  I hope he gets that chance.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 5:53 PM, Sutasaurus said:

Having monitored Regiment.org for a few days now I haven’t seen any news  of looking for design/visual/guard staff so that tells me they already have folks they are negotiating with. This is from a non Facebook person. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

I think they had the people in mind, just hammering out details, though until the ink is signed things can always fall through

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

They left the same time Bluecoats changed the activity.  I don't see how you dont see show design changes since then.  Electronic, movement based, choregraphed body, and less militaristic uniforms being done more than marching and playing.  I dont have a problem with either but since 2016 we have definitely changed.

Depends who you look at. I don't see Crown, Blue Stars or Blue Devils designing differently today than 2016. Bluecoats yes. They found their niche and unique voice. Boston changed their programming when they brought in a whole new staff. Otherwise musical design and composition seems pretty similar for most groups, just more costumes and less band uniforms. To me, theatrical presentation is a visual change but groups still present their music packages the same way.

20 hours ago, George Dixon said:

first 2023 leak > Pacific Crest 2023 presents "Into the Chevron: Stabbings, Poisoning, Enslavement & Other Fond Memories..."

The kids in PR liked the PC "Into the void" show. I gave a few of the kids Pacific Crest show shirts and they were highly desired by their friends.  I think the most of the kids in the Regiment would be thrilled to see that show.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, old skool drmmr said:

thats a shame, because that could have improved the design

• Like 1

19 hours ago, craiga said:

I would submit that BAC is already in that top percussion bubble, since they beat every other corps in percussion at various points in the season....including late season.

They never surpassed 4th in Indy and this is the first year they’ve ever reached that echelon. I’d like to see more consistency before declaring them in that bubble. Their front ensemble writing remains a weakness holding them back 

edit: I should add weakness is relative. All of the top 6 or so corps in percussion are very strong in general 

Edited by Cappybara