Staff Merry-go-round

51 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I guess we should all decide on what constitutes a successful season.

Crown, Cadets, and Phantom Regiment just had good competitive success.

I understand that Crown isn't happy in 4th, but jeesh, the last corps to be unhappy getting 4th was the Cavaliers and where are they now? 4th ain't bad.

Cadets just jumped back into the top 6 and Phantom Regiment just broke 90 for the first time since 2015 at finals.

Heck, SCV is having drama and they placed a very respectable 5th, which should be decently successful the first year after covid.

The corps that weren't very "successful" this year were basically BK, Cavaliers, and Crossmen.

BK looks to have upgraded.

Anyway, too much drama.

That’s fair. For the record: I wouldn’t call Crown’s 2022 season a failure but I would call it a bit of a let down. Especially when you pair it with the string of consecutive 4th place finishes since 2017. It’s pretty much impossible to deny at this point that Crown seems to be stuck in neutral. Thus far, it doesn’t seem to be affecting recruiting so hopefully they can improve next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

I understand that Crown isn't happy in 4th, but jeesh, the last corps to be unhappy getting 4th was the Cavaliers and where are they now? 4th ain't bad.

Cadets just jumped back into the top 6 and Phantom Regiment just broke 90 for the first time since 2015 at finals.

Heck, SCV is having drama and they placed a very respectable 5th, which should be decently successful the first year after covid.

The corps that weren't very "successful" this year were basically BK, Cavaliers, and Crossmen.

Anyway, too much drama.

crown is probably new designers wanted their own team in. Phantom is probably looking at how to continue moving up. Cavies no clue, but it seems some went to Spirit

• Like 3

Anyway, too much drama.

Crown is hiring some new percussion staff.  I wouldn't call that high drama.  

Jim Coats announced his retirement about a year ago, so him leaving his post was expected and planned for.   No drama their either. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, crownisking said:

That’s fair. For the record: I wouldn’t call Crown’s 2022 season a failure but I would call it a bit of a let down. Especially when you pair it with the string of consecutive 4th place finishes since 2017. It’s pretty much impossible to deny at this point that Crown seems to be stuck in neutral. Thus far, it doesn’t seem to be affecting recruiting so hopefully they can improve next year. 

Well, I LOVE me some Crown historically, but maybe it's show design and not performance that is holding them back?

(2nd) 2015 should have won.

(3rd) 2016 was a gem, but nothing was going to deny Downside up or whatever BD played that year that I hated....

(3rd) 2017 - IT IS: For me, I'm not super down with Little Fugue in G minor, and the singing tanked the show, yet they landed 3rd.

(4th) 2018 - Beast: What was with the drill? The whole show was a let down design-wise. The performers rocked the heck out of that stuff.

(4th) 2019 - Beneath the Surface: Not my favorite design, but they polished that "gem" as well as it could have been. The ballad was a bit long, and probably drug the rest of the show down.

(4th) 2022 - Right Here, Right Now: Just not checking all the boxes emotionally for me and maybe the GE judges, but  brass was top notch! Ah, I see the percussion caption lower.

....so it seems like it's the design that's the "issue" to me.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

crown is probably new designers wanted their own team in. Phantom is probably looking at how to continue moving up. Cavies no clue, but it seems some went to Spirit

Cavalier's staff scattered all the way to the West coast and Colorado too.

I could see the Cavaliers moving up and back into top 6 even with the questions at guard and visual.

I dunno though. I'm just trying to be positive on The Cavaliers.

Edited by jjeffeory

Anyway, too much drama.

So the lesson here Crown, is be happy with what you received and don't try to move up from your 4th place finish, because what you placed wasn't bad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

So the lesson here Crown, is be happy with what you received and don't try to move up from your 4th place finish, because what you placed wasn't bad. 

Almost.

The lesson here is that you got 4th place this year, with this staff. They are proven. Now go design a better show and take a higher placement.

One doesn't always throw the baby out with the bath water.

...and I like who they picked up on percussion, but I don't think it's going to change their overall placement, because I think the design choices compared to SCV, Boston, Bloo, and BD are what is holding them back.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Cavalier's staff scattered all the way to the West coast and Colorado too.

I could see the Cavaliers moving up and back into top 6 even with the questions at guard and visual.

I dunno though. I'm just trying to be positive on The Cavaliers.

What about the questions with brass?? Really the only caption I’m not concerned with is percussion. For 2023 I’ll just be happy if the Cavaliers make Finals. 

9 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Almost.

The lesson here is that you got 4th place this year, with this staff. They are proven. Now go design a better show and take a higher placement.

One doesn't always throw the baby out with the bath water.

...and I like who they picked up on percussion, but I don't think it's going to change their overall placement, because I think the design choices compared to SCV, Boston, Bloo, and BD are what is holding them back.

They are proven vital to the corps to place 4th. Now it's time for some new blood. Also, not sure if you noticed, but part of the new percussions title has the word "design" in it. Now, I'm not saying they're the magical fix, because I believe that Rick Subel is the major problematic factor in the design category, but one can only hope that the new percussion staff can help some design issues. 

Also, let's not forget that Thom Hannum is still on staff, so it wasn't an entire percussion staff purge.

• Like 1