Phantom Regiment 2023

8 hours ago, Dmlkmen said:

So, getting into the back half of the show, the more “ traditional” pieces we might expect to hear -  I am curious if the Rachmaninoff is the 2nd movement of that 3 movement piece. If that is the actual ballad of the show. That movement is one of my favorites, and I had hoped for Phantom to have it in a show for quite some time. 

I can say that Piano Concerto No. 2 is the ballad and the arrangement is absolutely gorgeous. VERY traditional PR, but with some modern embellishments. People are going to love it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, college-phan said:

I can say that Piano Concerto No. 2 is the ballad and the arrangement is absolutely gorgeous. VERY traditional PR, but with some modern embellishments. People are going to love it.

I hope it's material from the Part II Adagio! That theme... ❤️

19 hours ago, year1buick said:

I’m also excited about the 2026 Alumni Corps announcement. Just enough time for me to figure out how to play again. (The last notes I played were the parking lot run through in Foxboro stadium after 94 Finsls.) 

You can do it.  I did after 22 years. I actually think I was a more thoughtful player in the 2000’s than I was in the 70’s.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 12:20 PM, college-phan said:

2023 Show Title: Exogenesis

Refers to the idea that life was created elsewhere and brought somewhere to grow.

Sounds like an Alien or Prometheus show too!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You can do it.  I did after 22 years. I actually think I was a more thoughtful player in the 2000’s than I was in the 70’s.

Slight OT diversion, but an important one.

Happy Mother's Day to Terri, all of our DCP Moms and certainly to all of the drum corps mothers we've been associated with through our times. I can't imagine what sort of person I would have turned out to be without your guidance, patience, perseverance and care in those formative years. Thank you all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 3:59 PM, college-phan said:

2023 Phantom Regiment - Exogenesis - Show Repertoire:

• Isolated System by Muse
  • Supremacy by Muse
  • As If A Voice Were In Them by Oliver Waespi
  • to wALk Or ruN in wEst harlem by Andy Ahiko
  • Piano Concerto No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff
  • For I Have Fought the Good Fight by Stephen Melillo

Thanks for sharing the rep and art for the uniforms! The Phan-a-Thon event was great, and is the perfect new annual tradition to kick off another season of the Regiment, brilliantly done by the staff and organizers of the event!

Overall I really think the theme for the show and new look is going to be special! I believe it was mentioned during the reveal that this is not a "storytelling" show, but I do think that in someway they will illustrate the story about life and the human existence/experience: where we've come from and where we are going.

The Regiment is looking to reinvent itself yet again for a new decade/generation, building off of the momentum from the past two seasons. The look for this year reminds me of the 2015 gold-tinged uniform for the brass/percussion, and the guard outfit has some touches of that 2018 teal. The chevron headgear is phantastic, reminds me of the outfit change from the 2014 show...you can definitely include the chickens and other forms of plumage with a lightweight head piece! Would enjoy seeing the headgear trend return like this in a fresh and modern way. Building upon their brand/identity, there is no mistaking this corps for anyone else! 

I did some digging and this looks to be the third iteration of the Rach 2 piece ('95 and '17) by the Regiment, and I'm super excited for what JD and this corps can do with a unique blend of music this summer!

"You gotta be bold to wear the gold!" Let's go Regiment! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

Thanks for sharing the rep and art for the uniforms! The Phan-a-Thon event was great, and is the perfect new annual tradition to kick off another season of the Regiment, brilliantly done by the staff and organizers of the event!

Overall I really think the theme for the show and new look is going to be special! I believe it was mentioned during the reveal that this is not a "storytelling" show, but I do think that in someway they will illustrate the story about life and the human existence/experience: where we've come from and where we are going.

The Regiment is looking to reinvent itself yet again for a new decade/generation, building off of the momentum from the past two seasons. The look for this year reminds me of the 2015 gold-tinged uniform for the brass/percussion, and the guard outfit has some touches of that 2018 teal. The chevron headgear is phantastic, reminds me of the outfit change from the 2014 show...you can definitely include the chickens and other forms of plumage with a lightweight head piece! Would enjoy seeing the headgear trend return like this in a fresh and modern way. Building upon their brand/identity, there is no mistaking this corps for anyone else! 

I did some digging and this looks to be the third iteration of the Rach 2 piece ('95 and '17) by the Regiment, and I'm super excited for what JD and this corps can do with a unique blend of music this summer!

"You gotta be bold to wear the gold!" Let's go Regiment! 

I’m getting a ‘87-‘93 vibe from yesterday’s Phan-a-thon. Bringing the past to the present and onto the future. From Tchaikovsky to Herrmann, from Shostakovich to Muse. Very exciting!

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 5

My only complaint, and it's a very small one, is that I am so over that Ahiko album.  It somehow remains the DCI/band flavor of the decade, and I do not get it.  😞

Other than that, let's see how this pans out.  If nothing else, this beats "safe" Regiment.

Mike

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 5:08 PM, college-phan said:

And if there was any doubt out there, I can assure you all that the arrangements are *phenomenal*, my personal favorite being As If A Voice Were In Them!

I agree. An excellent choice and I can hear them playing it now. I also like For I Have Fought the Good Fight by Melillo. They used his music last year and it was a nice Regiment sound.

• Like 1