Underrated shows

I forgot to mention BD 91-93.  This was a unique time for the corps.  Great musical books.  Struggling percussion due to staff changes.  Their visual program was finally starting to experiment on what Garfield started in 82.

I highly respect the corps for this time in their history.  Some of my favorite brass lines in their history .. clean or not.  They were still placing in the top 5 ... I'm not sure it's underrated .. but the hornlines certainly were.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

If " outside the top 8 " is the criteria, Boston's 2014 production " ( 10th place ) " Animal Farm " might fit the bill.  Perhaps not given the credit due by some for its sheer edginess, verve, boldness.   u1L2maO.jpeg

All drum corps are created equal....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, supersop said:

I forgot to mention BD 91-93.  This was a unique time for the corps.  Great musical books.  Struggling percussion due to staff changes.  Their visual program was finally starting to experiment on what Garfield started in 82.

I highly respect the corps for this time in their history.  Some of my favorite brass lines in their history .. clean or not.  They were still placing in the top 5 ... I'm not sure it's underrated .. but the hornlines certainly were.

I would put BDs 91 and 93 horn lines up against ANY horn line past or present. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I remember much of the chatter about this brilliant show being more about the 'message' they were bringing and if the layering they added poured it on too thick.  There was also the triggered chatter about the G7 proposal.   Other chatter was "it's just performed too dirty."   With sometimes recognizing that it was an incredibly hard show and ambitiously pulling those kids a bit too far beyond their performance capabilities.  

But they did not back down or hose it. 

It wasn't until later some of the praise I was lavishing on it started to get echoed more.  The drill is one of the better examples of 'using the drill to tell the story' I can think of.  As dirty as it was, in retrospect, this seem the begining of the BAC guard aesthetic and swagger that has been returned to for their Zingali's.  I know the staff has changed but there's a spirit here that echoes what we've seen from the guard the past two competitive years.  I'll never forget when they led them onto the field during retreat doing that super creepy herd of uncontrolled animals movement gait thing.  The expression on some of the corps next to them as they came on was classic shock and awe.  

The music arranging was no easy feat too and did many ambitious and effective things.  The super aggressive opening, the SOLO that opens the ballad, she nailed the emotion shift all year, the long sustains with subtle melody rippling underneath it in the ballad, the pathos of the ballad hit when they raise the human pyramid windmill.  Playing Conquest in a minor key and making it eerie and creepy.  It was Angry Boston and it was good.

I loved this show from the moment I saw it live in Ft. Wayne.  

Some shows are improved with multiple viewings--the more times you watch it the more times you catch different things in it.

Some shows are the opposite--you love it the first time you watch it and then as you watch it multiple times things slowly start to grate on you. Or you got it the first time and realize there's nothing more to get on second or third viewing. Crown 2022 is an example of this.

For me, BAC 2014 is as well. This was the first year I had the full-season streaming package, and I absolutely wore it out. Which meant I saw this show from Akron to semi-finals (I didn't spend the money for the separate Finals stream).

When I first watched it, it was dark, and powerful, and it went there with what had happened over the preceding two years. Sure, it was dirty, but they were pushing the corps so hard I respected it. And dark Conquest at the end was fantastic.

But after a season of watching it basically once a week, it just felt...whiny isn't the word, but the things they added in just felt...off. Like, you're really going to whine about the baby powder when it was clearly a rule violation? You're going to add in the DCI logo in the flags in the movement where you're complaining about DCI? You're going to add the voiceover to just make sure we know what you're talking about since apparently putting a G7 in the drill wasn't obvious enough? It suffered a little bit from too much work to make the subtext text.

5 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

The true lesson of this thread is the vast difference in how we each define "underrated" 

True.  Mine was probably should have won it was so far ahead of what everyone else was doing.

21 hours ago, supersop said:

You beat me to it. I was going to say '91 BD.

It was their lowest placing show in over 40 years (5th) but is still one of my all-time favorites. It's a go-to when I'm putting on headphones to do housework.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, supersop said:

1987-1990 Northern Aurora and a dozen other Class A corps that were darn good at that time.

Oh yes, NA and Craig Bentley as drum major... Such a cool corps.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

You beat me to it. I was going to say '91 BD.

It was their lowest placing show in over 40 years (5th) but is still one of my all-time favorites. It's a go-to when I'm putting on headphones to do housework.

exactly the same with me.  that brassline was nasty and that book was stupid hard, especially on g horns. 

and 93's brass were also extraordinary, imo, especially the small ensembles and ESPECIALLY the featured baritone throughout the show.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 3