New Locations for World Championships after 2028?

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I see very little chance of DCI moving finals unless something big and bad happens to the relationship with Indy. Also, as far as the comments about the new Buffalo stadium:

1) DCI already announced next year's tour will be similar to this year's. That kind of suggests no New York shows at all again. 

2) I doubt DCI ever puts finals outside again when they can have a for sure weekend of profits from an indoor stadium. 

All this being said, my dream? Move finals to Atlanta in the Mercedes Benz Stadium. The acoustics in there were amazing for drum corps. Way better than they sound in Indy. 

Not that it would ever happen but I see Atlanta as one of the only real alternatives to Indy that could actually work…in theory, at least. Indoor stadium AND indoor warm up facilities at the GA World Congress Center if they’re needed. Plus, fans can take the Marta train to the stadium so we don’t even have to worry about parking. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

I agree you will not see finals leave Indy anytime too soon due to both contract and the ongoing relationship. Indy is not an August destination area so DCI would be a boost for Downtown Indy. My understanding is it’s a great fit for BOA too. I have never been to Grand Nationals but people who have said it’s family oriented and lots of parents and siblings attend. They don’t stay at LOS after their kids perform except for finals and often do touristy things. We may have our critiques of DCI but my guess is they’d be an ideal group to work with from year to year. There is a good audience, the crowd is manageable and with the exception of a few fisticuffs incidents not all that rowdy. 

I think you’re correct about New York shows. I’m hearing rumblings about another New England show, but the former Bristol later Cranston show has been rumored to return and it hasn’t and the same is true for the BAC show prior to Allentown, so an additional show may be wishful thinking. A Buffalo show after Allentown could work. Last year there was a Pittsburg show on the way to Indy. Pittsburg is a great 5 1/2 hour trip, Buffalo a 6 3/4which is not a huge time difference. That being said, DCI does not consult me on the tour schedule.

outside the regionals, DCI seems to be getting the shows run by the corps themselves more and more. thats why several long time towns/venues/hosts have slowly been disappearing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

outside the regionals, DCI seems to be getting the shows run by the corps themselves more and more. thats why several long time towns/venues/hosts have slowly been disappearing

It has been 15 years since a DCI show was less than a 6 hr drive (each way) from where I live. There was one scheduled for Richmond VA (1 hr) summer 2020, but that didn’t happen. 
Every year I check the schedule & no luck. I am beginning to feel like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin. 

• Haha 1

NFL stadiums are out, due to their extremely expensive rental prices. It is not a co-incidence that the two biggest regionals, Allentown and San Antonio, are held at a high school stadium, and a non-NFL domed stadium. (Where DCI has great long term contracts). Same with Indy--DCI gets a substantial discount from Lucas for their three day rental. 

16 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I see very little chance of DCI moving finals unless something big and bad happens to the relationship with Indy. Also, as far as the comments about the new Buffalo stadium:

1) DCI already announced next year's tour will be similar to this year's. That kind of suggests no New York shows at all again. 

2) I doubt DCI ever puts finals outside again when they can have a for sure weekend of profits from an indoor stadium. 

All this being said, my dream? Move finals to Atlanta in the Mercedes Benz Stadium. The acoustics in there were amazing for drum corps. Way better than they sound in Indy. 

I’m all for it but it will never happen. 

32 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m all for it but it will never happen. 

I'd love to get back but I kind of struggle with the Mercedes Benz acoustics statement. I think the reverb is about 25-30 seconds compared to Lucas Oil. 😂

"Move finals to Atlanta in the Mercedes Benz Stadium. The acoustics in there were amazing for drum corps. Way better than they sound in Indy." 

On 10/28/2022 at 11:57 AM, Jeff Ream said:

i believe the tourism bureau is involved in the deal, which helps DCI out. but DCI does have a contract, so they probably have terms that require advance notification of material changes. i'd also imagine they start renegotiating earlier than later.

LOS is owned by the State of Indiana and operated by Marion County, it is one of the few stadiums that are not owned & operated by the main tenant. It is to the state's benefit to continue it's relationship...and honestly, that period is a dead period for big stadia until football season starts. Some fans may not like it, but the DCI/Indy/LOS partnership works out for everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

The new Buffalo Stadium will be ready by 2026 and have natural grass!

The stadium will be natural grass.

But it won't be a dome.

According to their October 27,2022 Press Release, the stadium will have a "canopy" that will

cover +/- 65% of the seats.

The field will be open to the weather.

I don't think a "weather dependent"  Finals will be held there.

Edited by rpbobcat

4 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I'd love to get back but I kind of struggle with the Mercedes Benz acoustics statement. I think the reverb is about 25-30 seconds compared to Lucas Oil. 😂

"Move finals to Atlanta in the Mercedes Benz Stadium. The acoustics in there were amazing for drum corps. Way better than they sound in Indy." 

It’s not going to happen anyway.  It will be in indianoplace for eternity.  Or until drum corps is kaput. Whichever happens first. 

• Like 6