4 DAYS TILL DCI SCHEDULE RELEASE?

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

My enthusiasm for SC seems to startle smaller crowds in the middle of the country. šŸ˜…

Heck yeah. Enthusiasm is really needed with some crowds. I get scared out of my mind when I notice I'm the only one moving in my seat or cheering at certain parts

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Hmm šŸ¤” It's almost like I had a marching experience that turned me off from being in a corps myself. Can't quite remember though

Sarcasm aside, I don't know if this happens. When I went to Rose Bowl there were some kids from Gold sitting close to me, so possibly. BTW if you haven't seen Gold's 2022 show, I highly recommend it. So cool I could mistake it for World Class

Go to an audition/camp. Ā See if you pick up any negative vibes.Ā 
And yes, I saw Goldā€™s show. Ā There is a poster here, Chief Guns, whose son marched Gold. Ā Perhaps get in touch with him & see if that can ease your concerns. Ā Ā 

I was thinking. Back in 2019 and before, there were several early Midwest shows. They would start with the Tour premier, then there would be Akron, and Mason and in earlier years, throw in Dublin, maybe Pittsburg going one direction, and Indiana, Wisconsin going another, and for something different, go down to Kentucky. It wasnā€™t just Detroit, and go home. There were options. The early Midwest tour has been decimated. Boston can no longer see why they should spend a #### load of money for one show, and I donā€™t blame them. But it was different in prior years. Ā There once was a stream of shows generating revenue for touring corps, but it seems those days are gone. Most likely forever. And so, DCI is quietly, slowly imploding into oblivion.Ā 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

We also struggle to get corps to California, or New England.Ā  Shall we cut them off the tour?

no because you have money corps there. Also remember the tour runs through the heart of BOA and the BD led band circuits....and even then the USBands home turf has far fewer shows than ever.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I was thinking. Back in 2019 and before, there were several early Midwest shows. They would start with the Tour premier, then there would be Akron, and Mason and in earlier years, throw in Dublin, maybe Pittsburg going one direction, and Indiana, Wisconsin going another, and for something different, go down to Kentucky. It wasnā€™t just Detroit, and go home. There were options. The early Midwest tour has been decimated. Boston can no longer see why they should spend a #### load of money for one show, and I donā€™t blame them. But it was different in prior years. Ā There once was a stream of shows generating revenue for touring corps, but it seems those days are gone. Most likely forever. And so, DCI is quietly, slowly imploding into oblivion.Ā 

The Illinois shows are šŸ˜¬. Ā Iā€™d consider going up for the Mason show if Jim was game. Ā I know people make fun of Allegiant but it was a very positive experience for us. Ā Iā€™d fly into the greater Cincinnati airport from Punta Gorda anytime.Ā 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

There must be some number or shows that are the minimum for the DCI tour to exist. Ā What is the minimum number needed to attract members? Ā Or do we just say ā€˜meet in Indy in Augustā€™? Ā Ā 

To paraphrase TS Eliot - This is how DCI ends, not with a bang, but a whimper.Ā 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Slingerland said:

If there are more than 10 kids in the 2023 BAC corps from Mass, I'll go back and amend the word next year. LIke everyone else, most of their members aren't locals.

It is true that only about 10% of Boston's membership these days are New England based, but BAC membership has never been about a zip code.Ā  It isn't like the corps has just a post office box in Boston.Ā  The completely renovated corps hall in Hyde Park is staffed by a group of dedicated full time employees, and Inspire recently acquired NESBA, the preeminent hs marching band circuit in New England.Ā  That fact,Ā  along with the Great East Music Festivals, and now three outreach music programs geared toward under-served urban youth demonstrates why the organization continues to recognized by both the city and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with numerous grants and awards.

I won't even get into the massive financial support the organization is able to generate from the city's financial sector.Ā  It is disingenuous to suggest that there is anything "nominally" Boston about the Boston Crusaders.

Edited by craiga
Spelling
  • Like 1

Inflation costs and costs due to implementation of safety standards and higher expectations of tour life (I'm not posting this as a debate as to whether the safety standards are needed or not needed, it is simple fact it costs money), running a corps on tour costs more than it ever used to. Those are the simple facts. As I stated earlier, I am glad to see more logical touring schedules for corps without a lot of backtracking. This clearly would cut down on shows in general.Ā 

A shorter touring schedule allows for more shows to have more corps. A heftier lineup will lead to more ticket sales. I believe DCI is banking on fans traveling a little bit further and attending shows than they used to. And honestly, I think it will work.Ā 

The only way to get back to a tour we are used to is to ensure the current shows sell out and that would allow DCI to slowly add more shows in the future. At least that would be the smart approach.Ā 

The other thing I can say is donate, donate, donate to corps. I hate to say it, but it's about the money. Trust me if I could've won that $2 billion lottery, I would've been shelling out big time to corps. I love this activity more than I can speak about. I'll play the game and support whatever touring model comes out so long as my attendance helps ensure it continues. And I think that is the bigger picture here. We want this activity around, we have to keep attending.Ā 

• Like 1