The Cadets 2023

As far as Cadets potentially moving to Erie, I sincerely hope it happens. Erie has a long history of drum corps. With a ton of big names in the drum corps community that live here or live close to here. There is support here. Also, I think a WC drum corps located here will really foster growth in local high school programs. As a local adjudicator, I sure hope it fosters growth at least. 

The guy the owns the Sports Park here has continually raved about The Cadets. He was astounded at what they do and valued them in this activity as a sport. It was him who started the initial courting of the Cadets relocating here. 

• Thanks 4

23 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

If that Spring Training site they had last year is any indication, Erie should be a fantastic location for Cadets. 

til you need to get to a winter camp when lake effect kicks in

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, craiga said:

Boston doesn't rent office space because they own the entire building.  They also have three local musical ensembles dedicated to under served local youth, which the organization provides at no cost to those kids.   Two of these ensembles are based right there in Hyde Park.  BAC does have monthly camps in Texas because many of the members come from there, but the Texas kids are ever bit as much "Crusaders" as the east coast members. Meanwhile, the Hyde Park Brass and HYPE percussion ensemble do rehease right there in Hyde Park.  One last clarification.....for the record. BAC has marching members  from Massachusetts in EVERY section in 2023, including the drum major. I would not be shocked to see the Cadets do something similar in Erie as time progresses.

the band scene in Erie is interesting. the local circuit is LMBA. a pretty insular circuit, tho some also dabble in TOB. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

til you need to get to a winter camp when lake effect kicks in

Not that much worse than what they dealt with in both Jersey and Southeastern PA. They'll adapt. 

• Like 1

Is recruitment really as poor as some are saying?    Is camp attendance way down?

I haven’t heard much, but the two updates I’ve heard (along with Cadet’s financial status) have been very ominous    

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Is recruitment really as poor as some are saying?    Is camp attendance way down?

I haven’t heard much, but the two updates I’ve heard (along with Cadet’s financial status) have been very ominous    

What have you heard? Camp attendance from my perspective has been no worse than any year since 2018, if anything it’s for sure been a good deal better in the brass and guard with a much higher caliber of performer coming in to audition than we’ve had the last few years. The only section I’m aware of that’s been slower to fill has been the pit, but even then I think they’ve only got a couple of spots left. Financially, as I’ve said above, the corps in a very solid spot. The only thing I’ve heard brought up that has merit is tax returns from 2019 not looking great for the corps, which is valid since I believe 2018 and 2019 were some of the most perilous years for the corps financially. Everyone I’ve talked to on corps admin, though, has said the corps is comfortably in the black now and back (from a financial standpoint) to where the corps was pre-Hop firing. I believe YEA took a large brunt of the financial stressors on the corps for the Hopkins situation and COVID, and because of that the corps is able to be financially stable now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I also heard climate change isn't real. 

8 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Not that much worse than what they dealt with in both Jersey and Southeastern PA. They'll adapt. 

See Buffalo 

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

Allentown is quickly becoming an expensive city. New Jerseyites are moving there in droves, due to the outrageous housing costs and taxes in N.J.  Erie would be a more affordable place for the Cadets. 

I am very confused on this whole move to erie when you guys talk numbers.... 

The interim CEO is based out of Allentown, PA. When she took over YEA! her and her family moved to allentown to be closer to the office.... 

once YEA! folded, the building went with it, they do have a smaller little office in allentown but no one really uses other than the office manager, Dan Hurd. 

The CFO, doesn't live locally. So there's no need for an office for him. 

The COO, police officer in florida, doesn't live locally, no need for an office there. 

Corps Director/Program Coordinator/Visual Designer -- DOESNT LIVE LOCALLY and has a full time tech job. Doesn't need an office. 

Ops Manager, young person who lives in Texas and doesn't have much experience, also doesn't need an office. 

Allison, Marketing -- Doesn't go in the office. 

No one else isn't full time. 

The Cadets numbers doesn't make much sense. Will they survive? Sure? But how many times do they need to start over and have a fresh start? Wasn't the whole point of making CAE a fresh start? Folding one nonprofit to start another, wasn't that the whole point to get out of debt? HOW ARE THEY BACK IN BAD DEBT? 

Also one of you said BDPA doesn't have the money.... L O L.... BDPA (due to bingo) moved over 30mili in the 2019 FY! BDPA has enough money to do whatever they want with the entire activity... They have 0 interest in "purchasing" The Cadets... 

The Cadets, are trying to put up a good front, and I wish them nothing but the best, but history repeats itself when we don't remember things... 

Why did YEA! Fold? Why did YEA! Elimate the ED position under VFR? Justin Moore as the DOO and now the COO, what does he bring to the table to actually put a positive cashflow business plan in action to survive the drum corps. 

We all know that the drum corps activity is the fiscally irresponsible activity. What happened to SCV was bad management of a lot of things, but most importantly a budget. 

But look at BDPA, Bluecoats, The Colts, The Mandarins, etc of organizations figuring their lives out and making it happen. How are these organizations not making it more than just the drum corps? Its pretty easy to figure out if you have money or not and WHAT are you doing to make money. Literally take some time on google and just look up performing arts nonprofits and see how they survive. We are in a niche society and we can't keep asking just the nice of people to donate and make things happen without the people who get paid for 12 months in the office just cross their fingers and hope for the best. 

Rant done but man on man, THIS ISNT HARD BUT THEY LOVE TO MAKE IT HARDER AND NOT SMARTER! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1