The Cadets 2023

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

They don’t have the best track record from a management perspective 

They haven't had to take off a year though. The fact that they were reaching out to SCV members to march shouldn't be viewed as something negative, in my view. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

They don’t have the best track record from a management perspective 

True but still the members choice in what they do. At least here is another choice

11 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

They haven't had to take off a year though. The fact that they were reaching out to SCV members to march shouldn't be viewed as something negative, in my view. 

True.

But there is more to a good track record than just putting a Corps on the field.

I think there’s some misconceptions about how camps work now a days. The corps being from Erie doesn’t mean all of our camps are now in Erie. The corps been from Allentown for years now, but we’ve done most of our winter camps in Salem, NJ and we still plan to do them there until the weather gets warmer and we can actually go outside and use the fields in Erie. I don’t really see this move as impacting members desire to audition because all of our audition camps aren’t going to move, just the one camp before move ins. 

As far as the SCV stuff goes, I think the corps was just trying to help SCV members out more so than trying to poach them. We have/have had members at the Cadets from 2021-now who were trying to find a home after SCV and BD took the season off in 21, and it was a struggle for them to find a spot for the season after being blind sided by both corps that they wouldn’t be taking place in the Celebration season. The intent this time was to make it easier for SCV members to find a spot since it can be extremely stressful to find a spot at a top 6 corps in December. How do you know what corps have openings? How do you know what top 6 corps (if any) would be up for taking SCV members? I think it’s great the corps was so quick to offer displaced SCV members a home, and I don’t think other corps would have done the same publicly had Cadets not stepped up and been the first to open their doors. They definitely didn’t in 2021. 

Someone said above that the Cadets can’t do anything right in the eyes of most people in DCI, I think that’s spot on. The corps seems to do their best to do right by their members/staff/alumni/fans, and all people seem to want to do is cast doubt. Whereas other corps do extremely similar things and get no hate whatsoever. It’s really disheartening that the corps is still being punished for the actions of a ###### bag director that was fired almost 5 years ago. I can’t wait for the corps to come out on fire this year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, CadetDood said:

I think there’s some misconceptions about how camps work now a days. The corps being from Erie doesn’t mean all of our camps are now in Erie. The corps been from Allentown for years now, but we’ve done most of our winter camps in Salem, NJ and we still plan to do them there until the weather gets warmer and we can actually go outside and use the fields in Erie. I don’t really see this move as impacting members desire to audition because all of our audition camps aren’t going to move, just the one camp before move ins. 

As far as the SCV stuff goes, I think the corps was just trying to help SCV members out more so than trying to poach them. We have/have had members at the Cadets from 2021-now who were trying to find a home after SCV and BD took the season off in 21, and it was a struggle for them to find a spot for the season after being blind sided by both corps that they wouldn’t be taking place in the Celebration season. The intent this time was to make it easier for SCV members to find a spot since it can be extremely stressful to find a spot at a top 6 corps in December. How do you know what corps have openings? How do you know what top 6 corps (if any) would be up for taking SCV members? I think it’s great the corps was so quick to offer displaced SCV members a home, and I don’t think other corps would have done the same publicly had Cadets not stepped up and been the first to open their doors. They definitely didn’t in 2021. 

Someone said above that the Cadets can’t do anything right in the eyes of most people in DCI, I think that’s spot on. The corps seems to do their best to do right by their members/staff/alumni/fans, and all people seem to want to do is cast doubt. Whereas other corps do extremely similar things and get no hate whatsoever. It’s really disheartening that the corps is still being punished for the actions of a ###### bag director that was fired almost 5 years ago. I can’t wait for the corps to come out on fire this year. 

LIke when the Cadets were from Bergenfield and we practiced in Teterboro. 

7 hours ago, M R said:

Correct

At least that is better, though still may be a problem for east coast drivers.......moving in for Spring training is one thing, but camps earlier than that, I don't know.......if they ran a bus or two (though that is now far more expensive than just a few years ago) out that could help.........my biggest concern will be what they decide to do after this season.....a total move to that area (Erie), in my opinion, could be very problematic....

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

LIke when the Cadets were from Bergenfield and we practiced in Teterboro. 

On a side note, I auditioned at Cadets for the '98 season but ended up not marching there for a couple of reasons. I was in NJ this past week and staying there while I was going to NYC to see some concerts. During some driving around locally my GPS took me past the school in Teterboro and gave me a ton of memories for the 2 camps I went to there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

On a side note, I auditioned at Cadets for the '98 season but ended up not marching there for a couple of reasons. I was in NJ this past week and staying there while I was going to NYC to see some concerts. During some driving around locally my GPS took me past the school in Teterboro and gave me a ton of memories for the 2 camps I went to there.

I drove past it this weekend as I was heading into the city as well...I got some of those same memories. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bob984 said:

True........I just don't see kids from places like West Chester, Eastern Pa., South Jersey, Mass., Ct., Eastern New York, Va., Md. etc. going by road to Erie for monthly camps..........6 hours or more on the road each way, and possibly adverse driving conditions.......and the airfare, with possibly the exception of Cleveland, is way, way more expensive.  I would heavily research things before doing it, because if the members do not come, the facility is going to be meaningless.......I also wonder if any on the Board have ever been to Erie in January and February......not the same as June to August.........not trying to be "Mr. Downer", but I just don't see that area (Erie, and  the 3 hour perimeter around it) as currently being any kind of "drum corps hotbed" for potential members.....I just see it as a  very dangerous gamble at this point.....

how much of the membership is from that region?

and who says Cadets couldn't have camps elsewhere. Where does Boston have winter camps? Blue Stars in LaCrosse? Madison in Madison?

• Like 1