The Cadets 2023

15 hours ago, DAYGO said:

Not sure how that is any different from the countless of other corps that reached out to the SCV members, but ok.  

some let the body cool a bit before posting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

how much of the membership is from that region?

and who says Cadets couldn't have camps elsewhere. Where does Boston have winter camps? Blue Stars in LaCrosse? Madison in Madison?

For a good number of years, I would say around 1/2 of the membership came from where I mentioned.....sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.......agreed, corps can have camps (especially audition camps) anywhere.  I know Boston has run full corps camps in Fla., and I believe they still might.  That said, cost will come into play if the Cadets would move all camps to Erie for the facility.  Cleveland, at 94 miles away, is the only airport where you can even come close to getting an economy flight in and out.  I will say that if they wait each year until Spring training move-ins to go out there, than it's a non-issue...........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob984 said:

For a good number of years, I would say around 1/2 of the membership came from where I mentioned.....sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.......agreed, corps can have camps (especially audition camps) anywhere.  I know Boston has run full corps camps in Fla., and I believe they still might.  That said, cost will come into play if the Cadets would move all camps to Erie for the facility.  Cleveland, at 94 miles away, is the only airport where you can even come close to getting an economy flight in and out.  I will say that if they wait each year until Spring training move-ins to go out there, than it's a non-issue...........

Boston has their camps in Texas.  Every. Single. One.  Their spring training is in Castleton, Vermont, with the members all flying in to Albany, NY. The corps charters buses to pick them up from that airport and bring them to the campus.

And for the record,  I would assume that the Cadets' membership is as diverse geographically as any other drum corps.   The three kids I met and chatted with at the Quincy show last summer were all from Texas 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

True.

But there is more to a good track record than just putting a Corps on the field.

Ya think?

We've all seen what Cadets have been through all these years so that's all a given. The fact that with all that has happened in the past, they're still able to field a corps should be viewed as maybe they're doing SOMETHING right. But of course not. It's The Cadets. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Ya think?

We've all seen what Cadets have been through all these years so that's all a given. The fact that with all that has happened in the past, they're still able to field a corps should be viewed as maybe they're doing SOMETHING right. But of course not. It's The Cadets. 

I was not just referring to the hopocalypse; there has been drama off-field since then.  Consider all that went on this past fall w/r/t the director.   

I have nothing against Cadets - they performed my top 2 favorite shows of all time (87 & 77), and my second favorite of 2022 (fav was Troopers). 

17 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I was not just referring to the hopocalypse; there has been drama off-field since then.  Consider all that went on this past fall w/r/t the director.   

I have nothing against Cadets - they performed my top 2 favorite shows of all time (87 & 77), and my second favorite of 2022 (fav was Troopers). 

Again. I have not been living in a bubble. I was referring to ALL of it. But like I said, they're still able to field a corps. I'm just saying not everything associated with them has to be negative. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I drove past it this weekend as I was heading into the city as well...I got some of those same memories. 

Are you kicking yourself for not marching 98? 

On 1/3/2023 at 5:30 AM, Bob984 said:

True........I just don't see kids from places like West Chester, Eastern Pa., South Jersey, Mass., Ct., Eastern New York, Va., Md. etc. going by road to Erie for monthly camps..........6 hours or more on the road each way, and possibly adverse driving conditions.......and the airfare, with possibly the exception of Cleveland, is way, way more expensive.  I would heavily research things before doing it, because if the members do not come, the facility is going to be meaningless.......I also wonder if any on the Board have ever been to Erie in January and February......not the same as June to August.........not trying to be "Mr. Downer", but I just don't see that area (Erie, and  the 3 hour perimeter around it) as currently being any kind of "drum corps hotbed" for potential members.....I just see it as a  very dangerous gamble at this point.....

I don't know how it is now, but when I was in Cadets, we had people come from as far as Japan, the UK, etc. I lived in Jersey at the time, which was by sheer luck, but I'm pretty sure if people want to march a certain corps, they'll find and have found ways to get there. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Are you kicking yourself for not marching 98? 

I don't know how it is now, but when I was in Cadets, we had people come from as far as Japan, the UK, etc. I lived in Jersey at the time, which was by sheer luck, but I'm pretty sure if people want to march a certain corps, they'll find and have found ways to get there. 

I’m wondering how many Cadets come from within a 2 hour drive of Allentown. 

41 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m wondering how many Cadets come from within a 2 hour drive of Allentown. 

Beats the hell out of me, but when Crossmen were in Allentown, I had to take a bus to get there, which took about 90 minutes. 

• Thanks 1