Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

16 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

I went to my 1st drum corps show at the age of 14 and had no idea what I was watching. 

After a full year of high school marching band, I went back to the same show in 1987. Seeing 87 SCV live was the transformative event. As the experience washed over me I knew in that moment that I HAD TO march drum corps. That entire mid-season show is on YouTube and I am fortunate to have marched drum corps, and to be able relive the memory on video over and over again. Here is the Russian Christmas Music encore from that very night. Jump to 36:30.

My first year of marching band, we did a Russian show modeled after SCV's. I started the season with them 05 when we did it again. Man, wow. Thank you for this.

• Like 2

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

Serious question- does the transportation category include the cost to flying staff members to and from various tour & camp locations, or are staff transportation costs covered under, well, staff costs?  I could see it argued either way.  

Staff travel is generally a separate line item and not a free for all. I think most here would be surprised at just how little support staff is actually paid. I know the staff sizes seem large, but a majority of staff have year round commitments and can spend the entire season with a corps like before. It’s a complex juggling game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The costs of the activity are skyrocketing.

Refusal to address this will contribute to the end of DCI as we know it, unless the power players in the activity (aka the ones getting rich, if not from drum corps, then from charging marching bands well into the 5 figures for their services) put a stop to it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Why pay attention to the books? Someone will donate something right?  It’s happened before… right?  

I find it ironic that their board member William Huston was named as one of "Investopedia’s Top 100 Most Influential Advisors of 2022"... On another note...SCV was also delinquent in State filings in September of 2021...

I just feel so sad for the members...hope they find another home for this summer if they choose to march...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, year1buick said:

So, the elephant in the room— who else is in similar shape? I can’t imagine SCV is the only one.

Go find the tax filings for the last three years of ANY corps you want to know about. It’s out there to find. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To help increase income going to open up second bingo game. Anyone else worried this is putting too much faith on one income source. PA had good many groups raising money with bingo. Then no smoking law and other changes hurt that immensely.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1