Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

11 hours ago, college-phan said:

From what I’m hearing, it’s a combination of soaring costs related to tour (obviously) and frank mismanagement on the part of VMAPA. It’s not a lot unlike what Phantom went through in the late 2000s, just coupled with inflated costs. They should be able to recover, but it definitely should instruct corps to learn how to diversify income if at all possible.

Saddened about this. What I am afraid of is this is not Isolated to SCV. I know an East Coast corps has had very similar financial history and management turnover the last few years and their situation.

DCI is failing in their governance by allowing the fiscal mismanagement of some corps

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

this should have been evident before they started having camps.

This also upsets me, when did Vanguard com to t he decision that they had to close-up for 2023, especially since they had auditions still scheduled on 11 dec

• Like 2

One positive note: Bluecoats didn’t field a corps in ‘79 and ‘83. It’s possible to come back. HOWEVER, the landscape is MUCH DIFFERENT now than it was then. There simply is not much left to the drum corps activity and very little margin for error for survival. Hoping for the best. 

SCV was always the Yin to BD's Yang. Strange that SCV's unbroken finals run ends not because of competition, but because of funding. 

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I’m not shocked, but I am very saddened. 

Very, very saddened. 

My question, is SCV the canary in the mine shaft?

I don't think so, at least not on the most consequential elements.

Corps are going to need to manage the exorbitant costs of inflation (particularly on goods, gas, food, etc.), but I would imagine that the issues related to tour costs are merely the final nail in a coffin that was only 1 nail short of a tight seal, re: their 2023 plan.  There's no indication (that I have seen) that cost overages are a systemic problem across the board.  Corps tend to have fairly diverse financial programs and many have made a habit of doing more with less.

I am concerned for the talent there.  Sure, there is time, but there may not be good proximity to enough programs of that caliber for many of their past and potential members.  They can't all be Blue Devils, etc.  Some of them (especially in the field drums, as I understand it) have been well connected outside of the corps.  Now that element of the experience will have to be dismantled.  It's a 'shame', but I don't think it's a 'sign'.

1 minute ago, drumcorpsfever said:

One positive note: Bluecoats didn’t field a corps in ‘79 and ‘83. It’s possible to come back. HOWEVER, the landscape is MUCH DIFFERENT now than it was then. There simply is not much left to the drum corps activity and very little margin for error for survival. Hoping for the best. 

Troopers took a year off, too. 

• Like 2

VERY sad to read this news...

I'm trying to remain optimistic, but honestly worry about a couple others on the cusp. Modern DCI is simply unsustainable at this point, particularly with rampant inflation driving gas and food prices higher and higher

Things need to change. I'm fairly certain they won't. Too much ego involved. JMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Oh sure. But they’re not making the fortune others claim

The techs? No. The designers? Well....that's a different story.

It was just a little worse at Vanguard than other places. No individual is worth $40k plus (n a few cases, MANY plusses) for creating 10 or 11 minutes worth of a band show, but that's the stupid mindset the activity is in right now. If the total cost of designing a marching band show (let's call it what it is), is more than $100k, that's money that is foolishly spent. 

And Vanguard was spending significantly more than that.

• Like 5