Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

3 minutes ago, traverbanking said:

Jim,

The reason that the Boston Crusaders had to resort to calling themselves the Boston Drum and Bugle Corps for several years in the mid-80s is because the former corps director who legally owned the name "Boston Crusaders" withdrew permission for the corps to use that name because the corps in the early 80s flew the corps to Europe and the check given to the airline bounced. It took several years to sort this all out.There was a court trial. Eventually the former corps director gave the corps permission to use the name "Boston Crusaders".

Thanks , got my info from History of DC Vol II chapter on Crusaders.  Steve Vickers apparently (wisely) left out court issues (or at least the details) in various corps histories 

9 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

DCI's response to Bill Cook and Star was to turn up their noses and get all pissy about starting a corps from scratch with a lot of "scratch."  There was a lot of envy and jealousy and Cook just shrugged and went about his business.  If they had pulled up a chair and asked "How do we find more people like you???" instead of turning their backs and walking the other way, DCI would have financially solvent organizations all over the place.  It's no one's fault but their own that they are in this mess.  You had your financial "angel" and you ran him out of the activity (so to speak.)

Another example of how the cancer of exclusivity drives corps out of existence.

9 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

Get rid of fall and winter camps entirely. Wait until WGI is over, then do auditions. Then do a two week move in, that can’t start until Memorial Day weekend. Do a 4-week tour. Be done by mid July. 

I bet the quality won’t diminish much, because if there’s one thing life has taught me: you’ll get sh1t done in the time allotted. 

That may be true.  But if a corps turns any profit on their November/December "audition/experience camps", why should they stop doing that?

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

That may be true.  But if a corps turns any profit on their November/December "audition/experience camps", why should they stop doing that?

Because, IMHO (and I am sure others) using audition camps (raising hopes) to make money while filling your ranks is wrong at multiple levels.  This is probably the only activity that charges its own to compete at a world level.  Making money on auditions means that they are charging too much and automatically excluding people from certain social and economic classes.  Whether this is done in ignorance or on purpose is yet to be determined.  In other words quit paying lip service to being inclusive and do something about it.

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Couldn't agree more.

Two of the cymbal alum I'm still closest to couldn't have marched with the fees charged today, and are very concerned about it. One became captain, and the other was a rook-out and rookie of the year. They were on scholarship, moved in months early, worked all their bingos and more, and lined the fields/loaded busses to meet their financial obligations.

And that's back when fees were closer to ~$1250.

There are many who go to auditions just for the experience..I've been involved in a lot of auditions and many of my own students in the past went to multiple auditions just for the experience. Then, not thinking they would make it did and then were faced with, now what do I do, lol 

That 1250.00 isn't enough today to march in most winter programs anymore. Trust me ( I hate when people say trust me...lol ) 1250 for a winter program doesn't come close to enough to run a program let alone a drum corps program. 

YES , the cost is crazy, there's no doubt of that BUT I have a cousin who's daughter is in competitive dance programs..OMG, the cost, Aren't you a dancer ? or involved? I thought so , I'm sure you know what I mean, the cost is so crazy 

19 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Couldn't agree more.

Two of the cymbal alum I'm still closest to couldn't have marched with the fees charged today, and are very concerned about it. One became captain, and the other was a rook-out and rookie of the year. They were on scholarship, moved in months early, worked all their bingos and more, and lined the fields/loaded busses to meet their financial obligations.

And that's back when fees were closer to ~$1250.

I have no idea how people do it today.  I love drum corps, but you can't convince me these kids/young adults (that can readily afford it) actually need drum corps.  The amount of working, begging and scholarship when I marched was a lot.  BTW we worked up until tour even during spring camps.  The kids today get instruction but seriously do you really think at some of these levels they are getting REAL instruction on playing?  Or even need it?  The kids/young adults that would benefit most aren't even on the table anymore.  Massaging talent isn't really teaching, taking someone from one level of playing to unheard levels is.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mello Dude said:

I have no idea how people do it today.  I love drum corps, but you can't convince me these kids/young adults (that can readily afford it) actually need drum corps.  The amount of working, begging and scholarship when I marched was a lot.  BTW we worked up until tour even during spring camps.  The kids today get instruction but seriously do you really think at some of these levels they are getting REAL instruction on playing?  Or even need it?  The kids/young adults that would benefit most aren't even on the table anymore.  Massaging talent isn't really teaching, taking someone from one level of playing to unheard levels is.

You make some real good points and not wrong at all. I often wonder how they do it also (some don't but that's another topic) In some cases you are also right about instruction. In many cases its instruction on the program but on WC level you're not teaching actually how to do but how to do what staff wants.

Do these kids today need drum corps? IMO the answer is NO!

these young people today have way more at their fingertips then we ever had BITD. That also becomes part of the problem, constantly trying to entice people into the activity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know.....while top corps no longer have to teach members how to play a concert b-flat, hold a rifle at port, or play a paradiddle correctly, I say there is still ALOT of teaching going on.  I remember watching a BAC weapons sectional last June where they spent hours on finger positions on their "sixes".  

And, on top of whatever new playing skills they are learning, as we all know there are some serious life lessons being learned all summer, not the least of which are teamwork and delayed gratification. 

Do today's members "need" drum corps? Probably not.  Is it nevertheless an amazing educational experience for them?  Absolutely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Another example of how the cancer of exclusivity drives corps out of existence.

You hit the nail right on the head! In the case of a corps local to me, I would add insular, incestuous, and clannish with a strong dose of unwillingness to change as the cause of their demise.