Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

On 1/13/2023 at 3:02 PM, perc2100 said:

Sure; I'm just pointing out that Star wasn't necessarily run as a "throw money at everything!" drum corps the way some people may have thought.  Yes, they had money, and viable investments, but they also spent wisely to minimize costs 

Sorry, gotta call BS on this.  1986 "I think" they had these HUGE hamster wheels for the guard w/another semi to haul them.  They didn't last the season.

2 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Back in 1982, I bought a copy of Drum Corps World at the show in Atlanta.  It had a two page chart of every year of DCI and every corps that marched in that year.  One year in the mid 70's,  it listed over 200 units that competed that year (I want to say 234, but I can't say that with any certainty).  I was new to DCI at the time and even then I was amazed at how many corps went away by '82.  Looking back on it, "marching Finals week" was the wrong verbiage, but there were over 200 on that list.

yeah i figured many small corps did local shows and such over the course of the season

10 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Back in 1982, I bought a copy of Drum Corps World at the show in Atlanta.  It had a two page chart of every year of DCI and every corps that marched in that year.  One year in the mid 70's,  it listed over 200 units that competed that year (I want to say 234, but I can't say that with any certainty).  I was new to DCI at the time and even then I was amazed at how many corps went away by '82.  Looking back on it, "marching Finals week" was the wrong verbiage, but there were over 200 on that list.

Then that could not have been just DCI championship week.  DCI has never had 100 competing corps at a DCI championship.  Biggest years were 1981 and 1982, both 98.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Then that could not have been just DCI championship week.  DCI has never had 100 competing corps at a DCI championship.  Biggest years were 1981 and 1982, both 98.

That makes perfect sense, because the Canadian corps could all go to Montreal without the diplomatic issues of crossing the border.

Any updates on how SCV is planning to make up the short fall and future financing? Wondering if adding second bingo game is still being considered. And if SCV is planning to move away from bingo to other areas.

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Any updates on how SCV is planning to make up the short fall and future financing? Wondering if adding second bingo game is still being considered. And if SCV is planning to move away from bingo to other areas.

The recent board/alumni meeting was 90% focused on “Bingo will come back” as the most concrete form of revenue (with the eventual second hall). 

There were a couple of other ideas floated around (a Bay Area youth arts organization) but nothing very far along in the brainstorming stage as far as they let on. If I remember they hinted at a possible something in the works but said they couldn’t say more. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Hirsbrunner said:

The recent board/alumni meeting was 90% focused on “Bingo will come back” as the most concrete form of revenue (with the eventual second hall). 

There were a couple of other ideas floated around (a Bay Area youth arts organization) but nothing very far along in the brainstorming stage as far as they let on. If I remember they hinted at a possible something in the works but said they couldn’t say more. 

Thanks… to quote my blue collar, never graduated high school but can see BS very clearly father….

”Oh ####”.  🤦‍♂️ 

Had someone on FB defend this with “well it worked for 50 years, why wouldn’t they expect it to continue as well”. To repeat “oh ####” 🤦‍♂️

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 3:47 PM, OG84 said:

In 84? I don't recall a clinic with Sandra Opie.....please refresh my memory. And oh yeah, who is Sandra Opie?

OG84

She was the architect behind the Argonne Rebels’ powerhouse hornline of the early 70’s, including the legendary line of 1972. A lot of us “marched elsewhere prior to SCV” vets knew who she was and getting to meet and be cliniced by her was a highlight of my DC career. She basically brought the concept of “full symphonic sound” and TQ&I to DC; indeed, if you listen to Argonne’s ‘72 Finals recording the hornline easily sounds ten years ahead of its time. Tim S. was a disciple of her teachings.  

Edited by TRacer
Typo
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, TRacer said:

She was the architect behind the Argonne Rebels’ powerhouse hornline of the early 70’s, including the legendary line of 1972. A lot of us “marched elsewhere prior to SCV” vets knew who she was and getting to meet and be cliniced by her was a highlight of my DC career. She basically brought the concept of “full symphonic sound” and TQ&I to DC; indeed, if you listen to Argonne’s ‘72 Finals recording the hornline easily sounds ten years ahead of its time. Tim S. was a disciple of her teachings.  

Agreed 99.9999% But it was Jim Wren who brought the StroboTuner in to bring that sonority to life!