Weather or not

11 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I might be wrong, but wasn't there also a pretty violent storm that ripped thru Indy Finals night 2015 or 2016?

The storm Guardling is referring to was 2011. Unpredicted storms raged causing a staging to come apart at the Indiana State Fair. I’m not sure how far the fairgrounds are from LOS, probably about five miles (it’s a fifteen minute ride by Uber from the Marriott to the fairgrounds). I believe there was a brief tornado warning on Friday evening in 2012 and I do recall something happening weather wise in 2016. 

On 3/30/2023 at 5:50 AM, waliman4444 said:

Does DCI use current meteorological projections in planning their summer schedule? Absurd ?...With a reduced schedule of outdoor shows, can probability based on science help when planning the summer tour schedule?..This does not apply to existing shows and locations but merely to new locations considered for inclusion in the DCI schedule...peace

The only thing that is a given is it will be hot and sticky come Texas tour. Add thunderstorms and lightning.

12 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I might be wrong, but wasn't there also a pretty violent storm that ripped thru Indy Finals night 2015 or 2016?

To be honest I don't remember weather reports before that tragic day in 2011 nearby BUT do remember almost every year after with warnings. 

15 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Worst storm I remember was Allentown 2018, Friday night.   

The skies opened up during Mandarins' performance, and Linden Street became a river as corps were frantically trying to pack their trailers.

Edited by ykw
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ykw said:

Worst storm I remember was Allentown 2018, Friday night.   

The skies opened up during Mandarins' performance, and Linden Street became a river as corps were frantically trying to pack their trailers.

I was there. It was awful. That was the show that made me rethink ever going to Allentown again!  In hindsight, i made it up that steep back hill to my car easier than usual, because a mob was literally pushing me along!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't remember the exact year (somewhere between 2005 and 2011) but it rained so hard in Atlanta that the noise from the rain pelting the roof at the Ga Dome was louder than the corps on the field.

Going back to 1985, my high school went to a competition at the end of fall in Alabama.  We drove through the remnants of a hurricane to get there and arrived to find the football field had mudholes in it a foot deep!  At least a dozen shoes were lost that day, plenty of flags were ruined, and some band's poor majorettes had to roll around and lay on the ground during their show.  White uniforms too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DWW11 said:

I was there. It was awful. That was the show that made me rethink ever going to Allentown again!  In hindsight, i made it up that steep back hill to my car easier than usual, because a mob was literally pushing me along!

I don’t think I was ever as wet as I was that evening. I hated driving back to the hotel though I couldn’t get there fast enough. Heavy pelting rain on unfamiliar roads is not my idea of a great time. One thing I do recall is that a little rain actually enhanced Music City’s show about the train crash giving it a bit more grit and Troopers show had more of an emotional pull. I do recall hearing in the souvenir section prior to the show that Bluecoats and Santa Clara had not left their housing sites which made some wonder if the entire show would be cancelled which gave conspiracy theorists in the stands and on this site a bit to chew on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I don’t think I was ever as wet as I was that evening. I hated driving back to the hotel though I couldn’t get there fast enough. Heavy pelting rain on unfamiliar roads is not my idea of a great time. One thing I do recall is that a little rain actually enhanced Music City’s show about the train crash giving it a bit more grit and Troopers show had more of an emotional pull. I do recall hearing in the souvenir section prior to the show that Bluecoats and Santa Clara had not left their housing sites which made some wonder if the entire show would be cancelled which gave conspiracy theorists in the stands and on this site a bit to chew on.

The interchange with 309 and 78 is terrifying in good weather. That storm made it downright treacherous. Add in cataracts… i actually just sat in my car for about 30 minutes before i even tried to ease into traffic. My life would get much better if i could find a buddy to drive to those shows with!  My kids are all grown and gone. 

If you don't like weather, host DCI Finals somewhere in one of Southern California's many suitable outdoor stadiums.  The downside is it's too expensive, and for that reason keep it in Indianapolis.  

• Thanks 1