How often is the finals performance the BEST performance of a corps ?

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

What's crazy is that it wasn't till recently that I learned CG caption scores were not part of the overall final score until the year 2000. 

If DCI had added the CG caption just one year earlier in 1999, BD would have won out right. Same for 1996. BD again would have won out right. 

1984 has entered the chat.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Sometimes my mouth got me in trouble but I was pretty boring. 

Sometimes? My mouth ALWAYS got me in trouble.

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2023 at 3:34 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Brass, Visual and GE.  '87 was the year they did Swan Lake and Nutcracker and wore all white uniforms.  It was very elegant and very powerful, but something happened Saturday night and it just fell flat.  Because of the low finish in '86 they went on before any of the other top 8 corps on Friday, so they blew away everything the judges had seen up to that point in Semis.  Cavies went on right before Phantom at Finals and practically won Visual, so Phantom just looked worse by comparison.  They fell from 3rd to 6th in GE.

That had to have been a frustrating end of the season for PR.  I saw them in Birmingham, and thought they had a legit chance to medal. Still one of my favorite shows.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jthomas666 said:

That had to have been a frustrating end of the season for PR.  I saw them in Birmingham, and thought they had a legit chance to medal. Still one of my favorite shows.

“You have a very nice drum corps this year”

$2 to Michael Cesario. God love him.

12 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I found it.  1981   Vanguard won M&M by 0.05 and finished 2nd in drums, brass and GE.  BD finished 2nd in M&M and 1st in 8 of 9 subcaptions in brass and GE.  SCV got perfect scores in Degree of Excellence for Drums and Drum GE.  Devils drum line finishing 9th cost them a title.

80 was a wild recap too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

80 was a wild recap too

4 captions, 5 different winners!  Phantom took M&M, Bridgemen and Spirit tied for drums, Devils took brass and 27th took GE.  Discounting penalties, 1st through 4th was only a 0.5 point spread.

On 4/12/2023 at 3:52 PM, Sideways said:

‘99 was a really good year for almost everyone at finals.  Only corps that felt flat was BD but that again was after SCV absolutely burned the house down. 

Felt flat? I have no idea what you mean. They won most captions.