BOA Bans Ensemble Amplification. Is DCI next?

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no reduction to score, no teeth. it's really that simple. i have been in rules congresses for band and drum corps. i have seen a dozen "best practices' proposals get thrown out there that were to restrict certain things to make  it "fair". and after a year of honor system, they all came back with a score reduction added...because that made people decide to stop.

I figured reducing scores to zero with a disqualification would be teeth? I've said in multiple posts the only penalty is a Dairy Queen. Death penalty. If you catch someone, no option. Gone.

Don't know how you've missed that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

5 hours ago, drumcat said:

I figured reducing scores to zero with a disqualification would be teeth? I've said in multiple posts the only penalty is a Dairy Queen. Death penalty. If you catch someone, no option. Gone.

Don't know how you've missed that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

but it's not in the "guidance". and they won't put it there

16 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Using technology to teach is fine.  Using technology to replace - not so fine.

sadly in popular music thats been happening for years

Featuring in 2023....

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s why it’s so lousy.  Some Gen Zs I know listen to the same classic rock I do. The ones with taste, anyway. 

You offer my kids Taylor Swift's entire library vs. Stairway to Heaven, they're LZ all the way!  :babies:

• Like 2

It's sort of wild connecting with my student's "discovery" of music they like.

There's equal parts of fasciation with that's going on in hip hop and electronica that uses technology to its extremes in ways that push the creative envelopes and "Oh you gotta hear this beat, it slaps!" and they crank some one hit wonder from the 80s and I'm flipping out like I'm in some time warp conduit.

From what I gather a lot of the manufactured pop is just that...manufactured.  And it's more popular in the tween ranges and drops away by the latter HS years for many.  

The number of kids saying, "My parents grew up with better music than we are" is not small.  Heck my niece went through an obsession with everything ever recorded by Prince through her college years.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 11:31 PM, KVG_DC said:

The number of kids saying, "My parents grew up with better music than we are" is not small.  Heck my niece went through an obsession with everything ever recorded by Prince through her college years.

We went to a Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons concert at NJPAC a few weeks ago. A young guy next to me, around 30’ish. sang along with every song they performed. He knew every word to every song.

My daughter knows just about every song from the 60’s and 70’s. Her friends try and stump her, and they have little luck.

10 minutes ago, MikeD said:

We went to a Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons concert at NJPAC a few weeks ago. A young guy next to me, around 30’ish. sang along with every song they performed. He knew every word to every song.

My daughter knows just about every song from the 60’s and 70’s. Her friends try and stump her, and they have little luck.

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons is some pretty awesome music. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons is some pretty awesome music. 

Not to be all "get off my lawn" , but if you think Frankie Valli is good now,

you should have seen him and the original 4 Seasons BITD.

Got to see them twice at the Steel Pier in A/C when I was a kid.